Returning Resident Visa - Substantial Ties

MissionAussiePR

Hi All,

What are possible ways to show substantial ties to Australia to get RRV visa considering one has stayed only 3-4 months in Australia on PR. But stayed 2 years on work visa.

Problem is I don't have wife, child, relative, property. What else one could show as substantial ties. The only thing is I am working here from last 2 years.

Where can I get more info on showing substantial ties

Is there any other way to maintain PR status ?

or Is there any other way to get citizenship quickly ? (I know nothing like that but just asking as sometimes you get some clue)

Cheers,

MA

Guest proud2beaussie

Ok,as I understand the rules when you initial PR visa is granted it allows multiple journeys for 5 years from the date of grant,therefore you shouldn't need a RRV until after the 5 years has expired.

Also you don't really need to "maintain PR" in that sense of the word,once you have PR you always have it and only need an RRV to travel and re-enter Australia.

Thanks for reply. Forgot to mention.

After PR is granted I will be staying 3-4 months in Australia. And then willn't be able to come in next 5yrs+ or so.

Ok,as I understand the rules when you initial PR visa is granted it allows multiple journeys for 5 years from the date of grant,therefore you shouldn't need a RRV until after the 5 years has expired.

Also you don't really need to "maintain PR" in that sense of the word,once you have PR you always have it and only need an RRV to travel and re-enter Australia.

Guest proud2beaussie

You may have some difficulty then as the rules state that you must have "compelling and compassionate reasons for departing Australia".

Perhaps one of the agents who are regulars here can advise better.

Okay. Will wait for some other replies, if someone had some suggestion. Also, try to get in touch with some agent.

In the meanwhile, will there be any problem in reapplying PR after 5-6 years. Will they be questioning that you had PR earlier but didn't intend to stay in Australia or so ?

You may have some difficulty then as the rules state that you must have "compelling and compassionate reasons for departing Australia".

Guest ABCDiamond
Okay. Will wait for some other replies, if someone had some suggestion. Also, try to get in touch with some agent.

In the meanwhile, will there be any problem in reapplying PR after 5-6 years. Will they be questioning that you had PR earlier but didn't intend to stay in Australia or so ?

My own experience may give you some info on this, although may not help as such.

I had been a PR for 10 years and lived here for all those years, but then moved back to the UK.

During my time in the UK my RRV expired.

To get back into Australia with a PR again, I had to go though part of the immigration process again, filling forms in, and attending two interviews.

I did have compelling reasons to be in Australia, they were: An Australian wife who was a Federal Government employee, an Australian child and a house in Australia.

That news may not be what you wish to hear. But do not take it as being impossible, but it may be just as hard as the first application.

With hindsight, I would have travelled back to Australia before the RRV expired, for a while long enough to renew it.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I think it may also be difficult to reply PR again because you still have some reasons like child, australian wife but if they ask me I can't say anything so far.

So far no lights for me as can't find any info on RRV and if replying may also create probs.

I will keep looking for some solution.

My own experience may give you some info on this, although may not help as such.

I had been a PR for 10 years and lived here for all those years, but then moved back to the UK.

During my time in the UK my RRV expired.

To get back into Australia with a PR again, I had to go though part of the immigration process again, filling forms in, and attending two interviews.

I did have compelling reasons to be in Australia, they were: An Australian wife who was a Federal Government employee, an Australian child and a house in Australia.

That news may not be what you wish to hear. But do not take it as being impossible, but it may be just as hard as the first application.

With hindsight, I would have travelled back to Australia before the RRV expired, for a while long enough to renew it.

Hi Nigel, and MA,

Who knows what the legislation about RRVs may be in six years time? Advice can be given based on current legislation, but that could be rendered meaningless at any time.

As an example, my RRV was an 'Authority to Return' and was valid for life. All I had to do was return to Australia once every three years, clear immigration, and I could then hop back on a plane for the UK again if I so wished. ATRs stopped being issued many years ago.

Cheers,

Les

Thanks for sharing your experience. But, still we can plan the things as per current rules. If required, we will re-plan at later stage also.

I understand rules will get tougher in future, but I wish if there could be something similar to ATR, I am okay to visit aussie every three years :spinny:

Hi Nigel, and MA,

Who knows what the legislation about RRVs may be in six years time? Advice can be given based on current legislation, but that could be rendered meaningless at any time.

As an example, my RRV was an 'Authority to Return' and was valid for life. All I had to do was return to Australia once every three years, clear immigration, and I could then hop back on a plane for the UK again if I so wished. ATRs stopped being issued many years ago.

Cheers,

Les

• 5 years later...

Archived