Baggage Allowance confirmation from Singapore Airlines

Maz

oh thats abit crap for me, im going on a spouse visa and i dont count, bloody charming and hes duel national, so 20k for my whole life is very megre :(

I'm toptally guttered with our baggage allowance, as were only allowed 20kg's each with cathy pacific, and we messaged them to ask if this was right. Yes they said, so as a woman I've hardly got any clothes shoes and other bits. My case weighed in at 6kg's and I need a sturdy case so GUTTERED!!!!:mad:

Briggy:arghh:

Hi,

I just called Singapore Airlines to find out if I was allowed double allowance when going out to validate my visa. Technically, it is the first use of an unvalidated PR visa so I thought I would get double allowance. I dont really need it other than for the 2 car seats and pushchair that are in addition to the 3 cases we're taking.

However, I was advised that I wont qualify for it as I have a return flight, and am not migrating. I apparently need to be on a one way ticket with an unvalidated indefinite stay visa.

Is this right? Has anyone been and got double allowance with SA on a validation trip?

Thanks

Shaz

Hi,

Have seen a few posts recently regarding whether you're definately allowed extra baggage allowance when migrating. We were told when booked our flights with singapore airlines that we would get 40kgs each if had permanent visa in our passports, our tickets still stated 20kgs each so decided to e-mail them for confirmation.

Thought i would post the e-mail we received back to let everyone know:

We are pleased to inform you that Singapore Airlines offer double baggage allowance for the first time migrating passengers holding an Unused Migrant Visa which states that it is valid for an Indefinite stay in Australia.

If you are holding correct visa, you will be eligible for double baggage allowance i.e 40 kilos per person upon check-in at the airport. If not holding correct visa, your baggage allowance would be as per your ticket.

Please be informed that Singapore Airlines has a strict procedure with the migrant baggage polices. Passengers will not be entitled to double baggage allowance, if they are holding a dual nationality or any other visa e.g: Temporary, Spouse, Provisional or a Stamped Visa.

You are not limited to the number of bags that you check in for your flights as long as the sum total does not exceed your free baggage allowance. But due to health and safety laws each checked in bag must not exceed 32kgs in weight. If you exceed with your free baggage weight limit, you will be charged excess baggage rates.

For excess baggage rates, may we request you to log on to www.singaporeair.com. You may navigate through to this information from our Home Page/Before You Fly/Plan&Prepare/ Baggage/Excess Baggage.

I hope this helps your enquiry.

Thank you for choosing Singapore Airlines.

Have printed the e-mail off and will take it with us - just in case lol

Maz x

Yes me too. I had the same problem in that they wouldnt issue you with an email stating the higher baggage allowance. But then i emailed them about it like you and they replied the same so printed the email off to take with me as proof!

Try not to ring them because i made the mistake of doing this and tried it three times. Each person told me something different so gave up in the end and emailed them.

They were saying things like send copies of your visa to them for clarification etc.

What a load of rubbish. The check in people know what you are allowed i was told so that's why i have my email from them safe to take with me to the airport. :arghh:

I can also confirm that this doesn't have to be a one way ticket. We have booked a return ticket (to cover holiday, family emergency or the like during the 12 months following departure). Of course, the 40kg allowance is only applicable for the journey out to Oz. A return trip to the UK will be subject to the usual 20kg allowance.

Thats right. That is what Singapore Airlines said to me :yes:

Hi,

I just called Singapore Airlines to find out if I was allowed double allowance when going out to validate my visa. Technically, it is the first use of an unvalidated PR visa so I thought I would get double allowance. I dont really need it other than for the 2 car seats and pushchair that are in addition to the 3 cases we're taking.

However, I was advised that I wont qualify for it as I have a return flight, and am not migrating. I apparently need to be on a one way ticket with an unvalidated indefinite stay visa.

Is this right? Has anyone been and got double allowance with SA on a validation trip?

Thanks

Shaz

No this isnt right. There is four of us going with Singapore Airlines on a permanent unvalidated indefinate stay visa. Three of us are going permanently and the fourth person is going and then coming back a month later. All four of us are entitled to the 40kg going over but the fourth person can only bring back the baggage allowance stated on your ticket which i think is 20kg or something like that.

This has been confirmed to me in an email from Singapore Airlines :arghh:

Hi Deb8181,

Thanks for letting me know this. I didnt think what the person on the phone said was right, but she was adamant that as we were not migrating (as we had return tickets) that we were not entitled to the migrant extra luggage allowance.

I did say that we had the required unvalidated visa, but she was focusing on the fact that we were not on a one way ticket. She would not provide anything via email, so I shall email them as you have done and see what they say.

Thanks

Shaz

Hi we emigrated to Melbourne in Sept- went business class- dont ask!! I too got the Singapore e-mail with me. Thank god!!! I maxed out on the double allowance for business class x 3 plus the 'normal' allowance for OH who had validated his visa on a recce trip. As we advanced to check in looks of panic went round the desk! A polite but officious young man told me that the allowance was only 40 kg each despite the fact that we were on one way tickets but I have an e-mail I told him. When I produced this document everyone relaxed and we were through. They didnt even check our hand luggage which was also maxed out, much to the grumpiness of the customs staff through the checking in hall. I think perhaps they are tightening up now but TAKE THE E-MAIL it might save you £££'s!!

Guest ScottyB

Hi,

Sorry about the duplication here - but I would just like to confirm this as I don't want to get caught out.

My wife and I have PR visas - we have not migrated as such yet (doing so in April) but we did go to Oz to validate them before the year expiry date in Sept last year.

Am I sadly correct in saying that therfore even thopugh we haven't made the 'migration trip' we are NOT eligible for double baggage with SA ?

And if not, damn , who else can we go via ?

Emmirates seems out because I am British but my wife has a Belgium passport and I believe it it is UK passort holders only ?

Cheers

ScottyB

Guest ScottyB

Thanks Julie,

damn , and I'm guessing this goes for the other airlines too.

How stupid - I'm sure many validation trips aren't the 'real' migration ones :-(

Hi,

Sorry about the duplication here - but I would just like to confirm this as I don't want to get caught out.

My wife and I have PR visas - we have not migrated as such yet (doing so in April) but we did go to Oz to validate them before the year expiry date in Sept last year.

Am I sadly correct in saying that therfore even thopugh we haven't made the 'migration trip' we are NOT eligible for double baggage with SA ?

And if not, damn , who else can we go via ?

Emmirates seems out because I am British but my wife has a Belgium passport and I believe it it is UK passort holders only ?

Cheers

ScottyB

Hi ScottyB

Yes, it is a shame that the airlines only allow for extra baggage on the first use of a PR visa so I will be caught out with this when migrating, although may get use of it for my validation trip, although dont need it particularly.

Another option for you is to fly to Australia, with a stopover in the US which then somehow allows you double allowance. Not sure how it works, but my sister just came over for a trip from Oz, and flew via NY on the way back, staying for 5 days, and she got extra baggage. I think you have to stay more than 1 night. She flew with Quantas. You could look into that. She only decided on the trip to NY for this reason as she knew she'd be taking loads of stuff back and would be over the normal allowance. She suggested I do this when migrating, taking the kids for a few days to Universal Studios or something, but not sure my budget would allow for that.

Perhaps Nigelinoz could comment on that as I know he is a travel agent.

Good luck

Shaz

Guest littlesarah
Hi we emigrated to Melbourne in Sept- went business class- dont ask!! I too got the Singapore e-mail with me. Thank god!!! I maxed out on the double allowance for business class x 3 plus the 'normal' allowance for OH who had validated his visa on a recce trip. As we advanced to check in looks of panic went round the desk! A polite but officious young man told me that the allowance was only 40 kg each despite the fact that we were on one way tickets but I have an e-mail I told him. When I produced this document everyone relaxed and we were through. They didnt even check our hand luggage which was also maxed out, much to the grumpiness of the customs staff through the checking in hall. I think perhaps they are tightening up now but TAKE THE E-MAIL it might save you £££'s!!

I had a very similar scenario in July - I had been told that I would have 60kg (i.e. double usual business baggage allowance), and husband 30kg (he's Aussie so no visa).On arrival at Heathrow, we were told that no, my allowance was 40kg. Thank goodness I'd printed out the email from Reservations! Luckily, the check-in staff were lovely, and in the end checked in a further 10kg (after problems with my visa, thanks to DIAC's 'efficient' processes) over the limit.

I agree, get confirmation in writing from Reservations and take it with you to check-in. Otherwise you could end up paying a small fortune to get your smalls to Aus!!

I reckon its the check in clerk you get on the day, we flew out to Melbourne Boxing day with Singapore airlines, I had emailed to check entitlement (which said that as on a one way ticket & assuming I held the correct visa was o.k.) and took the reply with me.

The clerk was fine with that and I told her that I thought we may be a little over and would bin some stuff if needed, (there are 5 of us so 200kg & I was guestimating 203-205)she weighed each bag individually & it totted up to 225! I started panicking but she just smiled and said "thats fine"! I can't tell you the feeling of relief.

She then went on to wiegh the hand luggage (3 laptops, 1 car seat and 5 bags - all a few Ks overwieght + the youngest was carrying the 2 foot long toy aeroplane his Grandma bought him for Christmas) and again was o.k. - no problems in Singapore either but we did raise eyebrows from the customs bods in Melbourne when going through with 4 heavily laden trolleys.

At least a couple of mentions here of flying in business class. I wonder whether more people do this than we might think - after all, the process of emigrating is so expensive and painful that the cost of a one way business class ticket could seem like a drop in the ocean...

Guest IrishOzHopeful

Hi guys,

If we ever get our visa, we'll be flying from dublin so this might be a little off track from those flying from UK but I emailed signapore airlines and received this reply earlier in the week, feel free to print it off n take it with you if needed!!!

"Thank you for your e-mail.

As per the Singapore Airlines policy, if you hold an unused/unstamped/unvalidated migrant visa that specifically states you are permittedto remain in Australia indefinitely, then you will be entitled to double baggage allowance (40 kilos, per passenger). The visa mentioned above has to be used for the first time to enter into Australia, and will be checked on the day of your departure check-in.

If you are not holding the correct visa mentioned above at check-in, then you will be entitled to the standard free checked baggage allowance of 20 kilos, per passenger.

You can have as many items of luggage as you wish providing no one single item of baggage exceeds 32 kilos in weight, due to health and safety requirement.

Singapore Airlines policy on cabin baggage allows you to carry one item of cabin baggage only, per passenger in economy class, which must not weigh more than 7 kilos, and must not exceed 115 cms in dimensions (length + breadth + height). Apart from the cabin baggage allowance you can carry any one of your personal item such as :-

A Lady's handbag

An overcoat

An umbrella or walking stick

A laptop or notebook computer

A small camera

A reasonable amount of reading material for the flight

Also, for the flight from Dublin to London Heathrow or Manchester on another airlines, you will need to contact them directly to check the migrating baggage allowance.

I hope this information helps.

Thank you for your interest in Singapore Airlines. "

Hope this is of some help, :biggrin:

Louise

I got my email today for our migration flights to Melbourne with Emirates

50kg each even children.

This was through using the Moving Planet code UKMOVE1 when booking online.

All I did was email Emirates yesterday, scanned passports and attach the grant letter. The confirmation email came back today :notworthy:(removed names)

Date of departure: 17th September 2009

Flight number: EK20/EK404

Excess auth per person: 20kg Thank you for contacting Emirates regarding your excess baggage received when booking online with Moving Planet.

This letter serves to confirm the excess baggage has been authorised and your booking updated accordingly. The total will therefore be 50kg per person for each flight (the standard Economy allowance is now 30kg, with the additional 20kg authorised by Moving Planet).

To make payment for your tickets, and book any seat/meal requests, please contact our reservations centre on

On behalf of Emirates, we wish you a pleasant journey and hope you enjoy your flight. We look forward to welcoming you on board our aircraft soon and would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Emirates.

Kind regards,

N

Emirates UK

29 days to go!!! (sorry I am excited!) x:jiggy:

Hi, thanks for that info - we prefer emirates as they fly from BHX which suits us really well. I wonder if you could answer a couple of questions for me please.

a) could you throw a bit more light on Moving Planet pls? I googled them but the only website I found said it would be up and running in 2006???

b) Had you already validated your visa or was this your first visit since getting PR?

Thanks so much

Debbie

Archived