Baggage Allowance confirmation from Singapore Airlines

Maz

Hi,

Have seen a few posts recently regarding whether you're definately allowed extra baggage allowance when migrating. We were told when booked our flights with singapore airlines that we would get 40kgs each if had permanent visa in our passports, our tickets still stated 20kgs each so decided to e-mail them for confirmation.

Thought i would post the e-mail we received back to let everyone know:

We are pleased to inform you that Singapore Airlines offer double baggage allowance for the first time migrating passengers holding an Unused Migrant Visa which states that it is valid for an Indefinite stay in Australia.

If you are holding correct visa, you will be eligible for double baggage allowance i.e 40 kilos per person upon check-in at the airport. If not holding correct visa, your baggage allowance would be as per your ticket.

Please be informed that Singapore Airlines has a strict procedure with the migrant baggage polices. Passengers will not be entitled to double baggage allowance, if they are holding a dual nationality or any other visa e.g: Temporary, Spouse, Provisional or a Stamped Visa.

You are not limited to the number of bags that you check in for your flights as long as the sum total does not exceed your free baggage allowance. But due to health and safety laws each checked in bag must not exceed 32kgs in weight. If you exceed with your free baggage weight limit, you will be charged excess baggage rates.

For excess baggage rates, may we request you to log on to www.singaporeair.com. You may navigate through to this information from our Home Page/Before You Fly/Plan&Prepare/ Baggage/Excess Baggage.

I hope this helps your enquiry.

Thank you for choosing Singapore Airlines.

Have printed the e-mail off and will take it with us - just in case lol

Maz x

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Maz

Thanks for posting that, i remember trying to get it in writing from them 5 years ago and they wouldn't have any of it. I am sure it will be very useful for others.

Kate

oh thats abit crap for me, im going on a spouse visa and i dont count, bloody charming and hes duel national, so 20k for my whole life is very megre :(

Guest christinenpete
oh thats abit crap for me, im going on a spouse visa and i dont count, bloody charming and hes duel national, so 20k for my whole life is very megre :(

I was just thinking the exact same thing :eek:

Good news for everyone else though

I emailed Singapore when we were coming out and printed off the reply. The important part is that the visa is for indefinate stay (457 doesn't count) and that it's firt time migrant (unvalidated visa) - if you've validated your visa by doing a recci - you won't get the extra.

why does everyone go on about what baggage allowance you can get via Asia when the norm if you go via the USA is 2 pieces up to 60kg total.

I don't know .. but when we were migrating it boiled down to:

• Cost (cheapest possible for 4)

• Most Direct route and least time (had 2 kids with us)

• Availablility - there weren't that many airlines to choose from flying from Manchester

Ali

Guest proud2beaussie
why does everyone go on about what baggage allowance you can get via Asia when the norm if you go via the USA is 2 pieces up to 60kg total.

That isn't the case for all airlines,also going via the US adds many more hours to an already long trip and involves much more complicated transit procedures.

Guest gary12

We flew Singapore Airlines earlier this year on an already validated PR visa, we were about 26kg over between the 4 of us (thankfully they didn't weigh the hand baggage) I think one look at my red eyed tear stained pasty face on a one way ticket was enough for them to take pity and wave us through. Not suggesting for a minute you should try it but they were good to us!

regards

Michelle

Guest proud2beaussie
We flew Singapore Airlines earlier this year on an already validated PR visa, we were about 26kg over between the 4 of us (thankfully they didn't weigh the hand baggage) I think one look at my red eyed tear stained pasty face on a one way ticket was enough for them to take pity and wave us through. Not suggesting for a minute you should try it but they were good to us!

regards

Michelle

Tear stained faces can work wonders:laugh:even the most bad tempered check in agent has been known to reconsider when confronted with that.I'm glad it worked for you.:yes:

Guest The "legdes"

I thought that . I'd read the website and got to the 23. However, I emailed and now have an email stating 32kg per case. I think that's right as its what most other airlines say. I think the typo is on the website.

Also my email confirmed 40 kg on migration first time visa user for my 3 year old but no allowance for pushchair or car seat so they have to come out of the 40kg.

Guest The "legdes"

Copy of my reply rec'd this week. Cut and paste and you don't need to send one yourself !

Dear Madam,

Thank you for your email.

With regards to your query, kindly note that passengers (adults and children aged 2 years and above) emigrating to Australia are entitled to double baggage allowance (40 kilos), provided they are holding an unused migrant visa that specifically states that you are permittedto remain in Australia indefinitely.

If you are holding this visa you will be entitled to double baggage allowance on production of the visa at check in. You can have as many items of luggage as you wish providing no one single item of baggage exceeds 32 kilos in weight. This is a health and safety requirement.

If you are not holding the correct visa, then you will be entitled to the standard free checked baggage allowance of 20 kilos per passenger (adults and children aged 2 years and above).

Please also note that as you are not travelling with an infant (below 2 years), any pushchairs or car seats that are checked in will be included in your checked baggage allowance.

Thank you for choosing Singapore Airlines.

Yours Sincerely,

Janet Phillips

SIA UK

For further information or clarification, please call our local reservations office directly at 0844 800 2380 (24 hour service, operated 7 days a week).

If you are located in another country, you may call +44 20 8961 6993, or visit Welcome to Singapore Airlines: Asia's leading airline with flights serving over 35 countries to obtain the nearest reservation office's contact number.

Guest proud2beaussie
I emailed and now have an email stating 32kg per case.

Please be carefull-The double baggage allowance is a TOTAL of 40kg's-it is not 40kg's per case,nor is it 32kg's per case ,the reference to 32kg is the maximum weight of any one bag-that is the health and safety limit,anything over 32kg's will be sent as freight.

The 23ks's limit refers to the maximum weight of each piece when using the piece concept which only applies on certain routes.

Guest the dobbas

hi all

just be carefull as if you land in oz then have to get another flight to where your going the chances are it will be a domestic flight and they only allow 20kgs per person and dont allow 40kgs so you will have alot to pay.

also with singapore make sure you dont go over the total group weight ( 40kgs per person) as they will charge for excess and it is very expensive i know as it happend to me !

Guest proud2beaussie

Any domestic flight necessary as part of an international flight will be at the international weight allowance.It must however be booked as part of the initial booking.

I don't know .. but when we were migrating it boiled down to:

• Cost (cheapest possible for 4)

• Most Direct route and least time (had 2 kids with us)

• Availablility - there weren't that many airlines to choose from flying from Manchester

Ali

Emirates now offer 30kg in Economy, as standard, and fly from Manchester...

Copy of my reply rec'd this week. Cut and paste and you don't need to send one yourself !

Dear Madam,

I can also confirm that this doesn't have to be a one way ticket. We have booked a return ticket (to cover holiday, family emergency or the like during the 12 months following departure). Of course, the 40kg allowance is only applicable for the journey out to Oz. A return trip to the UK will be subject to the usual 20kg allowance.

Guest tim_the_taf

can confirm that, we had 140kg of luggage between 4 of us when we moved to Perth in Aug 07. When we moved back to the UK in December Cathay Pacific only allowed us 20kg each (miserable g*&s). Emirates standard allowance is 30kg each, not sure about migration allowance. Moral of this story is to use Singapore Airlines or Emirates. They're the two best airlines anyway.

Guest CaptainCook

Hi

Was over the moon the other day when the guy in Flighgtcentre told me you can have 40kgs on Singapore if you are emmigrating and then gutted when I looked on here and it's only for unvalidated visas, we validated on our recce last year. But when we go in january 2010 we will have one way tickets. And didn't get a stamp in our passport anyway, were told it's all done on our computer. So what are our chances of getting the 40kgs if we fly Singapore airlines, they have the best price too?

All may not be lost, we are taking my mother in law with us for the first month and have told her if she takes our stuff in her case we will buy her a whole new wardrobe when we get there!

Thanks all

I got my email today for our migration flights to Melbourne with Emirates

50kg each even children.

This was through using the Moving Planet code UKMOVE1 when booking online.

All I did was email Emirates yesterday, scanned passports and attach the grant letter. The confirmation email came back today :notworthy:(removed names)

Date of departure: 17th September 2009

Flight number: EK20/EK404

Excess auth per person: 20kg Thank you for contacting Emirates regarding your excess baggage received when booking online with Moving Planet.

This letter serves to confirm the excess baggage has been authorised and your booking updated accordingly. The total will therefore be 50kg per person for each flight (the standard Economy allowance is now 30kg, with the additional 20kg authorised by Moving Planet).

To make payment for your tickets, and book any seat/meal requests, please contact our reservations centre on

On behalf of Emirates, we wish you a pleasant journey and hope you enjoy your flight. We look forward to welcoming you on board our aircraft soon and would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Emirates.

Kind regards,

N

Emirates UK

29 days to go!!! (sorry I am excited!) x:jiggy:

• 4 months later...
Guest covchef

can anyone help we have been to australia to activate our permanant visas in september 2009,we are returning in october 2010,are we allowed extra baggage allownce with singapore airlines:arghh:

Guest juliemtaylor

No sorry you won't be entitiled to double baggage allowance with SA as we were told it has to be an unvalidated permanenet visa.

Julie x

Guest covchef
No sorry you won't be entitiled to double baggage allowance with SA as we were told it has to be an unvalidated permanenet visa.

Julie x

Hi Julie thanks for that,right can start sorting things out now have booked our one way ticket and will be in queensland for christmas,no more snow!!!:cool::cool::cool:

Archived