Child with global developmental delay and medicals

JulesFox

Hi

We have just joined and are in the process of getting my husband's skills assessed. We are now a little worried since I have read some posts on here about it being difficult to get a visa because of a child's condition. We have talked about it and decided we still want to go ahead but feel we need to do all we can to make sure we have the best possible chance. Therefore I wonder if anyone can give us any advice.

Our 4 year old has global developmental delay, he has a statement of educational need and is about to start at the local special school as that is where we decided was best for him at this time. He has no medical needs and his main needs at the moment are speech and language and understanding. He is probably about a year and a half behind his peers at the moment in these areas. He continually makes good progress and we hope in the future he will attend a mainstream school with little support. What I would like to know is what we can do to make sure when he has the medical that he passes as it were?

Also, we were wondering if people think it is worth front loading the medicals so once the case officer is assigned then there may be less problems as they will have been sorted out - or will this not make any difference as the problems only come up once the case officer is assigned? We are going to apply for a 175 skilled visa. Once the case officer is assigned do they give you a limited time to do the medicals or is it up to you? We were just thinking that it might be worth doing it before so we can spend time making sure we find a sympathetic panel doctor.

Thanks

Julia

Your best bet would probably be to seek the advice of an agent who knows about disabilities and medical conditions - Peter Bollard is one that is mentioned in that context quite frequently.

You will also need to ensure that you have current psych (IQ, adaptive behaviour etc), therapy and educational assessments to demonstrate the potential for your youngster to lead an independent life down the track. It does seem though that if a child needs a special school education their disability would be at a level which could be a disadvantage because that is a very costly level of support.

Get good advice! Good luck!

Guest Cherrie

We have just decided to wait with the seeking process, our son has a development delay also, but we think that it might be mild autism. He haven´t been diagnosed yet but we think that he will need some kind of help in daycare/kindergarden. (´m a home mum now). I have understood that it will be problems with visa if one family member doesn´t meet the medical conditions requirements. I´m not so familiar with this stuff yet but I think you will get very good help from people here. I wish you all the best and good luck and i will read here now and then.

Guest The Pom Queen

I can't advise anything other than what Quoll has suggested, ie contacting an experienced agent, Gollywobbler may also be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck both of you.

Kate

Our 4 year old has global developmental delay, he has a statement of educational need and is about to start at the local special school as that is where we decided was best for him at this time... What I would like to know is what we can do to make sure when he has the medical that he passes as it were?

I have no knowledge on this but you might be interested in the guidelines for doctors

http://www.immi.gov.au/gateways/panel_doctors/conducting_medicals/instructions/panel-doctors-instructions.pdf

There are a few child devlopement guidelines at the end Attachment 2: Child development milestone guidelines

Also, we were wondering if people think it is worth front loading the medicals so once the case officer is assigned then there may be less problems as they will have been sorted out - or will this not make any difference as the problems only come up once the case officer is assigned? We are going to apply for a 175 skilled visa.

Medicals are valid for a year, other posts on here seem to suggest 175's are taking a while (take a look at the time line site Timelines | aussietimeline.com | Australian Visa Application Timeline Tracker).

If doing the medicals prior to submitting an application was something you wanted to do have you lokked at the potential with the 176 Visa's - there you apply to a specific state and have to commit to staying in that state for at least 2 years. But these visas are being processed quicker at the moment (look at the state sponsored - where are you now postings on here) what it might give you is a shorter time line.

But I would agree with a previous poster - I think you should get advice from someone who has experience in this subject and can probably tell your best options.

Thank you to all of you for your replies. I think it might be helpful to us if we do talk to an agent - any ideas if it'll cost us much to ask them advice?

I will have a look at the guidelines for the docs to see if it gives us any info.

Thanks again for all your advice.

Julia

• 7 years later...

Hello, I can see this is an old thread and just wondered how anyone got on when applying for their visas with a child with Global Developmental Delay?

We are at the beginning of our visa process. We have 3 children, 2 with no health issues. Our smallest child age 5 has learning and speech delays and they are "thinking" its Global Developmental Delay. He will be getting a 1-2-1 teacher at school as from September. He is in mainstream primary school.

He also has 17q12 micro deletion which is a genetic issue but it doesn't cause any medical care.

Any advice would be great.

Karen 

1 hour ago, Karen Taylor said:

Hello, I can see this is an old thread and just wondered how anyone got on when applying for their visas with a child with Global Developmental Delay?

We are at the beginning of our visa process. We have 3 children, 2 with no health issues. Our smallest child age 5 has learning and speech delays and they are "thinking" its Global Developmental Delay. He will be getting a 1-2-1 teacher at school as from September. He is in mainstream primary school.

He also has 17q12 micro deletion which is a genetic issue but it doesn't cause any medical care.

Any advice would be great.

Karen 

It is an old thread and you might be wiser to start your own but in answer to your question, on the face of it you could well be knocked back for a visa as a 1:1 support for a child in school would put you over the threshold quite quickly. You really need to talk to one of the agents who can give you better advice based on assessments that have been conducted. If you have a child with a mild-moderate intellectual disability (and I recognise that "Global Developmental Delay" sounds like a temporary condition) then chances are their access to special ed support will put them over the limit.  He will need comprehensive psycho-educational assessments as part of the process.

There is a bit of a catch 22 - usually, if a child is going to get a visa then they won't be eligible for disability support in school and vice versa - i.e. eligible for disability support then usually won't get a visa. Very few kids actually get 1:1 in mainstream, they're usually expected to manage independently some of the time.

George Lombard or Peter Bollard are the two agents usually recommended for these types of issues.

Archived