Frankston Misses Out but Dandenong get in Top 10 Australia Wide

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

The full article can be read here:Frankston not in the hunt for Australia’s top bogan suburb | Article | The Punch

Below is a summary.

The people of Frankston, Victoria, deserve full marks for enterprise. But they’ve damaged their bogan credentials by becoming the latest mulletted suburb to jump on the I-Heart-New York-style merchandising bandwagon, with the suburb’s GDP ballooning to several thousand dollars with the sale of I Love Frankston t-shirts, stubbie holders and prophylactics.

The Herald-Sun chronicled the marketing push last week, with residents of “Franga”, “Franghanistan” and “Funky Town” as Frankston is also known hailing the move as a sign their city was on the improve.

It’s the kind of upwardy-mobile stuff which appalls committed westies such as bricklayer Todd Farrawell, from St Marys in Sydney’s West, who went public last month to bemoan the aspirationists who were getting all giggly about the “new buzz” out west.

Mr Farrawell told The Sunday Telegraph that he feared metrosexual culture was invading the western suburbs.

``You see a few more blokes with their pants looking a bit too expensive and a bit too tight, and a few too many wearing pink shirts and drinking lattes when they should be having a beer,’’ he said. ``They need to man up.’‘

As much as it would pain Frankston’s bogan purists, in the key areas of crime, fashion, culinary options and job opportunities, the suburb isn’t really in the hunt when it comes to Australia’s top 10.

The Punch has corralled its contributors, many of whom hail proudly from the wrong side of the tracks, to pencil the following shortlist - which is obviously open to challenge. In no particular order our top 10 bogan suburbs are:

<strong>Albion Park NSW, Dandenong Vic, Kambah ACT, Redcliffe Qld, Wyoming NSW, Salisbury SA, Chigwell Tas, Ipswich Qld, Rockingham WA, Moe Vic.</strong>

I hate the term Bogan, Rockingham here in Perth was in the top 10 and the uproar on one of our News Websites were people got nasty, just because they lived North or South of the river. People thing they are better because they live somewhere else. Rockingham has beautiful beaches and great green areas with alot of shade for the hot Summers and I think it is a fantastic place to go.

Look I believe if people are happy and not bothering anyone else what is the problem?

I like to wear trackie pants and joggers most of the week while I do my shopping, do the school run, playgroup for my son, going to the playground I think not it is just something I feel more comfortable as I am on the go alot.

There are Bogans (don't like the term) which to me are hard working class folk well the majority of them anyway. Just because a guy likes to wear Thongs and A flany shirt does'nt make him any less of a person most of them are true blue Aussies and the ones that you can rely on.

I think Bogans are everywhere it's just upto people as to whether they look at the person inside or by what they are wearing and off course there Aussie Slang

Just be happy with what you have and don't down people because they don't see things that some other people find important the same way

cheers Laney

Ps I live in the Armadale area which is the most hated suburb well one of them and have been here 21 years and never had anything bad happen to me or any of my family, like break-ins, cars stolen etc

I hate the term Bogan, Rockingham here in Perth was in the top 10 and the uproar on one of our News Websites were people got nasty, just because they lived North or South of the river. People thing they are better because they live somewhere else. Rockingham has beautiful beaches and great green areas with alot of shade for the hot Summers and I think it is a fantastic place to go.

Look I believe if people are happy and not bothering anyone else what is the problem?

I like to wear trackie pants and joggers most of the week while I do my shopping, do the school run, playgroup for my son, going to the playground I think not it is just something I feel more comfortable as I am on the go alot.

There are Bogans (don't like the term) which to me are hard working class folk well the majority of them anyway. Just because a guy likes to wear Thongs and A flany shirt does'nt make him any less of a person most of them are true blue Aussies and the ones that you can rely on.

I think Bogans are everywhere it's just upto people as to whether they look at the person inside or by what they are wearing and off course there Aussie Slang

Just be happy with what you have and don't down people because they don't see things that some other people find important the same way

cheers Laney

Ps I live in the Armadale area which is the most hated suburb well one of them and have been here 21 years and never had anything bad happen to me or any of my family, like break-ins, cars stolen etc

Its best to live in the so called "bogun areas" as people do not sh...... in their own backyard so usually safer in these suburbs :yes:

Guest The Pom Queen

Very true Petals, and it is the bogan suburbs where you will have a neighbour who will go out of their way to help you if you are in need, rather than put their noses in the air and walk on.

I have worked for many years in social work/welfare and have worked with family in some of these so called 'bogan' suburbs, they are mainly salt of the earth 'working class' families, and to this day when I sometimes visit certain places in these suburbs for whatever reason (I am still involved in welfare) it is nice to run into kids who are now in their 20's, have finished apprenticeships and are doing okay.

Of course the show Kath and Kim is taking the mick out of boguns in "Fountain Lakes" (the areas of the south eastern growth corridor in Melbourne) so it isn't new to pick the bogun suburbs !

Mind you, a friend of mine told me on the phone over the weekend that they went to a function at the Frankston Cultural Centre, then there was a short silence before we both began to laugh. :hug:

Guest Anchovie

Please excuse my ignorance but is this therefore saying that areas like Frankston are less desirable? No offence intended. I had heard good things about this area and it's on the right on the coast which I thought would make it popular? Thanks

Guest The Pom Queen

Frankston has always had a bad rep, but it is mainly because of areas like Frankston North. I know people who live in Frankston South and love it there.

Most Aussies 'live on the coast'. Frankston is an outer Melbourne suburb on the Mornington Peninsula, that area is lovely, and some parts of Frankston are fine, Sth Frankston more especially. I think central Frankston gets a bad wrap because there have always been lots of young people hanging around the beachfront and shops there in the main street, there are some pubs there too. It was very popular with young families in the 1970's/80's and some parts became a problem for kids hanging around getting into some mischief. I used to work (welfare) with young people/families around North Frankston/The Pines which has been particularly a problem, and some parts of Carrum Downs. Some of the schools in this part are not so good.

Places like Mornington, Sth Frankston, Mount Martha, Mt. Eliza are better, but some parts of Frankston aren't too bad. Many Brits over the last 30 years have lived around the Karingal area where there were new housing estates in the 1970's, and some still do, but as their kids have grown up some have retired elsewhere. Two of my friends kids go to Karingal High and its okay from all reports. From Frankston you can get a bus down to Mt. Eliza Secondary College/Mornington Secondary College as well, if you can get in the catchment area (not sure).

So true and being at Karingal can feel like being in the UK sometimes with all the Brits that live around there, grandmas and grandads now.

Both Frankston and Dandenong are transit centres where facilities are provided to the suburbs around and about, for instance Frankston Hospital is the main hospital for the whole of the Mornington Peninsula and right up to Mordialloc and across to Carrum Downs and parts of Cranbourne, Langwarrin so covers a huge area and hundreds of thousands of people. Therefore you get all different people from all walks of life.

Dandenong is the same its a transit centre.

There are needle exchanges in both Frankston and Dandenong and chemists who supply methadone so you are going to see drug addicts around and not all drug addicts look like we the media likes to show them, a lot hold down jobs, families and get on with their lives, its just the unfortunate who are poor and undernourished who look different to us.

My mum lived across the road from Tafe for 12 years and she never had a burglary or anything happen to her whilst walking around Frankston with the so called undesirable people.

Undesirable people usually come from good homes and have money to burn rubber on the road, hoons, or bash innocent peoople up for fun. They come into the towns from so called good suburbs to do this.

Here in Somerville we have had problems and we are having them now with graffiti and most of this is done by people who come to the town not by people who live here. The pub here has always been a magnet for some hoony types and my children never went to it. Needs a good renovation.

So long windedly what I am trying to say is live and let live and do not judge a book by its cover unless you know the story behind it.

So true and being at Karingal can feel like being in the UK sometimes with all the Brits that live around there, grandmas and grandads now.

Both Frankston and Dandenong are transit centres where facilities are provided to the suburbs around and about, for instance Frankston Hospital is the main hospital for the whole of the Mornington Peninsula and right up to Mordialloc and across to Carrum Downs and parts of Cranbourne, Langwarrin so covers a huge area and hundreds of thousands of people. Therefore you get all different people from all walks of life.

Dandenong is the same its a transit centre.

There are needle exchanges in both Frankston and Dandenong and chemists who supply methadone so you are going to see drug addicts around and not all drug addicts look like we the media likes to show them, a lot hold down jobs, families and get on with their lives, its just the unfortunate who are poor and undernourished who look different to us.

My mum lived across the road from Tafe for 12 years and she never had a burglary or anything happen to her whilst walking around Frankston with the so called undesirable people.

Undesirable people usually come from good homes and have money to burn rubber on the road, hoons, or bash innocent peoople up for fun. They come into the towns from so called good suburbs to do this.

Here in Somerville we have had problems and we are having them now with graffiti and most of this is done by people who come to the town not by people who live here. The pub here has always been a magnet for some hoony types and my children never went to it. Needs a good renovation.

So long windedly what I am trying to say is live and let live and do not judge a book by its cover unless you know the story behind it.

Very true Petals, especially your last sentence. I have come to learn in 20 years in welfare practice that the people you most imagine to be a certain way are not the ones who are !

Archived