Is car insurance needed in Queensland?

THORPES

Hi

When we arrive we are thinking of just buying a banger for a car until we get sorted. We have been looking on Queensland transport website about process of buying a second hand car. The website said rego includes third party insurance. Is this the only insurance you need legally or have you got to get other insurance like here in UK?

Thanks

Jill

xxx:confused:

Guest chris_mac

I have just insured the wife and I, fully comp for only $300.00 and my son who is 19 can also drive on his L's..

This is a bargain compared to the UK and in my opinion worth every penny..

Best wishes

Chris

Legally, no, you don't need anything else other than compulsory third party which is paid with your rego, you don't have to go for the company nominated on the rego either, you can shop around like you do with normal insurance, but like Lyn says, you're not covered for property damage.

I've found insurance companies over here really can't be bothered processing claims that well; the default setting for a motor vehicle accident is "you're both at fault, you're both paying." Lady at work T-boned someone who pulled out of an intersection in front of her, totally his fault, but she had to pay 50% of the costs and he defaulted on the payment saying he was unemployed and had no insurance anyway. Go figure.

Legally, no, you don't need anything else other than compulsory third party which is paid with your rego, you don't have to go for the company nominated on the rego either, you can shop around like you do with normal insurance, but like Lyn says, you're not covered for property damage.

I've found insurance companies over here really can't be bothered processing claims that well; the default setting for a motor vehicle accident is "you're both at fault, you're both paying." Lady at work T-boned someone who pulled out of an intersection in front of her, totally his fault, but she had to pay 50% of the costs and he defaulted on the payment saying he was unemployed and had no insurance anyway. Go figure.

We had a similar situation. Woman pulled out of a parking space straight into side of my car. Said she had no insurance and won't cough up for repairs......

I had a clean insurance in the UK 9+ years no claims so I got Rating 1 here. I've claimed 4 times in 18 months here coz of crap drivers here who couldn't give a flying f*** :sad:

Lyn

Thanks everyone. We didnt realise it doesnt cover for damage to property.

Do you need proof of no claims discount from uk?

Jill

xxx

Best to get it and bring it with you but they don't ask for proof here - very bizarre because they seem to just trust you. You will be asked how many years no claims no have but that's all. Someone did tell me that you might be asked to provide it 'if they become suspicious' so best be on safe side and as I say, bring it or get it sent over. Most companies here do accept no claims driving in the UK so won't be a problem.

We have used ecar insurance - eCar Insurance - Welcome to eCar insurance. who are a UK/Australian company. They are very slow on progressing a claim if the damage doesn't prevent you from using it but they were cheap lol!

Best for service in my opinion are AAMI Car Insurance Australia - AAMI Car Insurance Quotes - CTP Insurance - AAMI

Am now using YOUI - Car Insurance, Online Car Insurance, Car Insurance Quotes – Youi good price but don't know bout service as haven't claimed with them.......yet!!

Lyn

Best to get it and bring it with you but they don't ask for proof here - very bizarre because they seem to just trust you.

Lyn

Maybe 'cause they won't pay anyway:eek:

I've got all my insurances with AAMI, they're slippery buggers when it comes to claiming on house insurance.

Incidentally, if you live in a storm or cyclone area double check with your insurer that they cover your contents if the roof blows off; when Larry took out Innisfail a couple of years ago quite a few people suddenly found their contents insurance didn't apply when their contents were not under a roof, which included if the roof blew off.

Fine print. They'll get out of paying if they can.

Guest guest30038

I'm with NRMA, I have multiple discounts on all my policies because I insure more than 3 things with them.........house, contents, cars, boat, trailers.

Motor insurance...........they have proved to be cheaper than any other quote due to the mulltiple policy discount. I've had 5 claims in 15 yrs (all my fault..........I'm a wan*er) and everyone has been settled over the phone with no statements, diagrams of events etc. I jus said that I was to blame and that I would pay the excess.........it was all settled without me hearing anything further.

They gave me 65% no claims when I first arrived (without documentation) and I now have 100% no claims protection for a paltry sum of about $17 a year.......so despite my 5 claims, I still have 100% no claims bonus.

kev

You just need to remember though that third party insurance here, unlike the UK, only covers injury to another person, it does not cover damage to another persons vehicle.

Lyn

The insurance that covers property is called 3rd party property insurance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
Guest Lambart

Hi Idrabble,

Thanks for the reply, your post will be of great help and info for those who didn't knew about this information, specially for those who are moving to Queensland.

Archived