Dunstable Downs Picnic Update

Which dates can you make for the picnic?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Which dates can you make for the picnic?

• Sat May 5th
    • Sun May 6th
    • Sat May 19th
    • Sun May 20th
    • Sat June 2nd
    • Sun June 3rd
    • Sat June 29th
    • Sun June 30th

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest cheryl

Sorry peoples wont be able to make it as we are in oz for 10 days, dissapointed though would like to of met you all but perhaps another time have a good day anyway.

Cheryl x

Guest donovan

Hiya

We will defo be there

Sarah, Don, Joshua 11, Mitchell 9 and Harvey 3

Guest Angelcake

Hi

We will be coming, you'll spot us a mile off - struggling with a double buggy on those hills, with identical twin 12 month old boys and a 3 yrs old boy.

Will let my sister know (Tahe49 on here) and if she's free she will probably come with her family too.

Looking forward to meeting some of you.

Angelcake

PS Donovan, we are heading to Brisbane too (hopefully)

Whoo hoo, I'm getting quite excited and it's still a month to go!!!!!

Driving over to the downs tomorrow and will post some links for good directions on this thread over the next few days.

So looking forward to meeting you all.

Felicity:wubclub:

Hi Felicity

We might try n make it, will have to see what the kids have on that weekend (notice our social calendar is free!).

Its quite far from us but will try and come. Would be lovely to meet everyone.

Will try and talk minlady & smith tribe into it to.

Is anyone bringing older kids/teens? Dont know whether to inflict my 15 yr old on you all.

Sam xx

Guest hays
Hi Felicity

We might try n make it, will have to see what the kids have on that weekend (notice our social calendar is free!).

Its quite far from us but will try and come. Would be lovely to meet everyone.

Will try and talk minlady & smith tribe into it to.

Is anyone bringing older kids/teens? Dont know whether to inflict my 15 yr old on you all.

Sam xx

bringing a 13yr old and a 17yr old in a 10yr olds body if thats any help.......:unsure:

Guest Rachel&Stu

Hiya all:cute:

Felicity - I'm really looking forward to it too! Have had quick look on map....Is there gonna be a 'wet weather plan' or should we panic about that nearer the time!!

Sam - am going to try and persuade my 17yo daughter to come!

Will be great to meet everyone.

Byee....

Rachel:wubclub:

Okay peeps! We have been for a reckie just so we could assess directions for those of you not familiar with the area.

If you are heading to Dunstable Downs using the M1 we recommend that you exit from Junction 11. If you are heading south turn right onto the A505 towards Dunstable (If heading North turn left).

Drive straight over Poynters Rd roundabout and you will pass Tesco on your left.

LOOK OUT FOR THE SPEED CAMERAS ON THIS ROAD IT IS 30MPH.

Go straight over the major traffic lights junction of the A5 in Dunstable - the sign says The Downs and Animal Park.

Dunstable Police station will be on your left.

Go over the roundabout and then over a double roundabout.

Follow the sign for The Downs and turn left onto Whipsnade Road. (It is the B489)

Follow this road, you will pass Dunstable Golf Club on your left, pass the first car park and turn right and park in the visitors centre.

We chose this one cos it's got toilets there!!!! There is also a little shop and a cafe. (It is a little pricey tho) Hot drinks and meals, sarnies and snacks are available. Mr Whippy Ice Cream van parks nearby too.

We checked out the local bylaws and you can use a disposable barbeque as long as you don't allow the grass to catch light or start a deliberate fire!

It is also a local kiteflying area so if you have one pack it just in case, there is also plenty of room for the kids to run around or set up a footie game (or cricket etc).

If you are travelling on the A5 from Milton Keynes, turn right at the major traffic lights in Dunstable onto the A505 travel past the police station and follow the rest of the directions above.

If travelling from London on the A5 turn left at the major traffic lights in Dunstable onto the A505 and travel past the police station following the rest of the directions above.

Hope this helps you plan your journey, see you all on June 2nd from 12.30 onwards. Currently working on a wet weather plan too (but of course we won't need one!)

this is the site for the visitors centre http://www.chilternsgateway.org.uk/

Felicity,:jiggy:

Guest steve110

hi fizz

the directions coming from the M1/A5, the first roundabout after the police station,that would be the one by the cemetery yes?

just trying to work it coming form the other direction........ if that is the one by the cemetery,then i will need the second roundabout i encounter from my direction.....

Guest steve110

sat nav!! don"t use them .......... maps can"t crash for a start ...........

i think i know where it is ,i"ll ask my sisters,they are bound to know .......

anyway got to bring 20 camels and a landrover down for your hubby ......

Hi Felicity

Sorry bout this late reply but we fully expect to be there and a big fantastic well done for organising it! Have emailed national trust to see if bbq's can be used so will let you know when they reply. Should anyone want info on area then if it helps you can go to www.nationaltrust.org.uk and put 'Dunstable Downs' in search box.

Look forward to seeing everyone and in the meantime l can wholeheartedly rejoin the land of PiO now that the bloody house is finished and on the market and l've got some free time again :wub:

Lyn

To Sam - am gonna try and persuade my son to come, although anything that involves adults is considered a bit :nah: where he is concerned, being 16 an all :sad:

Guest Rachel&Stu

To Sam - am gonna try and persuade my son to come, although anything that involves adults is considered a bit :nah: where he is concerned, being 16 an all :sad:

Have managed to persuade my gorgeous 17yo daughter to come!! No mean feat is it:no:

They don't want to associate with us wrinklies lol:biglaugh:

Rachel

Have received reply back from National Trust and they advise barbies 'not encouraged' on Dunstable Downs as damage has been caused in past by irresponsible persons :sad:

So big picnics alround then with lots of Aussie chardonnay, bring it on! :yes:

Lyn x

Hi Felicity

Sorry bout this late reply but we fully expect to be there and a big fantastic well done for organising it! Have emailed national trust to see if bbq's can be used so will let you know when they reply. Should anyone want info on area then if it helps you can go to www.nationaltrust.org.uk and put 'Dunstable Downs' in search box.

Look forward to seeing everyone and in the meantime l can wholeheartedly rejoin the land of PiO now that the bloody house is finished and on the market and l've got some free time again :wub:

Lyn

Hiya all

Just asked Hubby if we can come and he said YES, anything to get out of decorating!

Lyn - Havent mentioned it to kids yet, but will see if I can persuade them.

Is it the beginning of half term or the end? If its the begining I'm not sure Cody will come as she has Dance all day on a Sat, but if its the end they'll be off for half term. We'll see.

See you all there.

Are dogs allowed? Just a thought.

Sam xx

I think this is the only half term that is pretty much the same in all counties! It is the Saturday before we go back to school. What a fab weekend it's going to be - meeting you guys on the saturday and then the MK race for life on Sunday - reckon I have an inset on the Monday too!!!!!!

Whoo hoo

Felicity:cute:

Hi ya all

Sam - that saturday is at the end of half term down this neck of the woods. Callum hasnt decided for sure yet although l reckon he will as seems to agree would be good to meet some others his age who are about to undertake the same thing even if they will all live hours away from each other. Thankfully he doesnt dance at weekends (unless theres exams). Full on with GCSE's from the Monday onwards though so l think that is what may stop him as they have not given them any exam leave and as he dances for 3 hrs a nite mon to fri, the weekends are the only time he's got. Look forward to seeing ya though! :yes: and everybody else :yes: :yes: , will be really good to put faces to names!

Lyn x

Guest leanneandmark

Wow!! Thanks for bringing this back up. hadn't been around for a bit so new nothing about it.

Can we come too?

Not even officially applied yet, but we will, as soon as we know what for, stni is looking less likely so it could be an educational course.

To where, we know not!! where ever will have us i suppose.

Leanne and Mark

Archived