Car Insurance in Oz with UK licence - anyone know a good company

Hi, have just tried entering details on one of the Oz car insurance websites and I got the 'NSW Licence No'. section - on a 457 visa, was under the impression I could just use my UK licence whilst on this - correct me if I'm wrong! But still need car insurance on UK licence anyway as picking up car on Saturday - any advice on cheap insurance companies would be greatly appreciated - thanks very much

Why dont you just get a NSW licence? We are on a temporary visa in VIC and have been driving on our UK licence . All the jobs we've seen have said must have VIC licence so we just went and got them . It would solve your problem as well. I dont know about NSW but here in VIC we just filled in the forms , made an appointment to see them at Vicroads and come out 20 mins later with our licences . A 3 year licence is $46 Ed + Jo

Guest The Pom Queen

You could try AAMI. We had quite long chats with AAMI as we had a family wanting insurance on a UK License, we had to correct them on numerous occasions and eventually got through to some top body at AAMI and here is what he wrote:

"After further Investigation AAMI has recently reviewed there guidelines in relation to overseas visitors.

AAMI now covers a driver that holds a current UK license.There are no restrictions and we no longer require an International Drivers License.

My apologies for the discrepancy in the information you have been given it appears that we were not informed of this.

Please note also that there has never been any restrictions on Home and Contents policy with overseas clients, we are able to cover them also.

If you need any further information please contact us.

And once again please accept my sincere apologies for the confusion.

Kind regards,

Darren Norden

AAMI eBusiness

Car Insurance Australia - AAMI Car Insurance Quotes - CTP Insurance - AAMI

So maybe give them a call.

Kate

Guest Nic1983

HI, I am also on 457 with Uk licence. We used Budget and found them to be reasonable. No problems with the foreign licence just an extra $50 added onto the price i think.

Guest The Pom Queen

Forgot to add that yes, whilst you are on a temp visa you do not need to get a Vic License, so presume it will be the same for NSW.

Was looking for a lazy quick fix, garage just been on the phone saying cars ready tomorrow so champing at the bit to pick it up. When you were on your UK licences who were you insured with?

Ahh the sight of that Newcastle strip made me feel at home!!! I come from Durham, originally from Hebburn, Tyne n Wear.

Guest The Pom Queen
Was looking for a lazy quick fix, garage just been on the phone saying cars ready tomorrow so champing at the bit to pick it up. When you were on your UK licences who were you insured with?

Ahh the sight of that Newcastle strip made me feel at home!!! I come from Durham, originally from Hebburn, Tyne n Wear.

Just go to AAMI website and do it online Car Insurance Australia - AAMI Car Insurance Quotes - CTP Insurance - AAMI

Here's the link about visitors, these include working visa holders.

International Visitors to NSW

When I first arrived in Australia (Perth) you were only allowed eight weeks on an overseas licence. Taking out a new licence was very simple, fill in bits of paper and give them some money. I think that in some cases you have to sit a free theory test, in NSW you don't even have to make an appointment, just wander in and play with a terminal, I think it is multiple choice. If your licence is from another group of countries where the standards are not very high you may have to take a free practical test but if you pass first time you will not be subject to the usual time on P (Provisional plates).

Thanks everyone, just had a very reasonable quote from AAMI website, will give them a call now

You may want to try E Group insurance too - eCar Insurance - Welcome to eCar insurance.

They're fairly new to Aus & also work in the UK too so I had no problem getting my NCD confirmed too - and you can pay in installments if you like (costs extra though)

I've just renewed my insurance though & went for ING Direct - no extra cost for paying premiums - and I don't remember any questions about having a UK licence either.

cant get a NSW licence until you have been here 6 months or more if you are on a temp resident visa (frustrating!).

We went with AAMI for car insurance, was about $600 cheaper (fully comp) than any other and no massive excess for UK licence like most other companies.

Home and contents with them is no good though as they dont cover acc. damage.

Try bingle.com.au they are v cheap and internet based and you just choose the "overseas licence" when the question comes up which ins did you have previously.

We have insured both cars this way and both before we got an oz licence.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest johnnybgood
Try bingle.com.au they are v cheap and internet based and you just choose the "overseas licence" when the question comes up which ins did you have previously.

We have insured both cars this way and both before we got an oz licence.

I had a quik quote of 630 AUD for 1 years comprehensive cover...do you know if having an overseas licence and a 457 visa will increase this significantly? Its also a personal import....

Archived