We are in Oz! Whoo hoo....

Guest chris_mac

Hi Chris

What a lovely post. It's really great that your daughter wants to come - I hoep she's here soon.

You certainly sound like you've settled in - cleaning the pool - LOL!

Keep that positive attitude and life will be great for you.

Love

Rudi

x

Hi all

Landing saturday moring at brisbane 9.15am. Flew from Man to Abu Dhabi, (2.40min wait) Abu Dhabi to Singapore, (30 min wait) Singapore to Bris.

1 hr Drive north to Caloundra...

Etihad airways are spot on.. No complaints... Not impressed with the movie options though!

Leaving the family at the airport in Manchester was the worst part of all..

Daughter who is 20 dropped a bombshell night before we flew and told us she wanted to come with us... and has always wanted to.. She told us from day one she wanted to STAY and kept her word for 2 years just to keep her boyfriend and family happy, then breaks down the night before and tells us she has always wanted to come.. OMG!

We are working on it right now to get her over.. Gill has helped again and provided support and direction for us to get her over.. Thanks again Gill :hug: (She will be here soon which for me is the icing on the cake...

We are living in the wifes sisters house which is massive and really nice... Our rental is in the same street directly opposite which is also really really nice...

Cleaned the pool this morning and tested the water getting it ready for summer? (Listen to me "Cleaned the Pool" .... loving it) Its 28 degrees and ozzies are wearing coats and fleeces... Dont get it? I was sweating my nuts off..:wacko:

Signed the rental agreement this morning for six months and we have the option to buy if we like it which im sure we will..

Been out this afternoon and bought loads of stuff for the house... Knifes ands forks, dinner sets etc....

Loads to do tomoz, Bank, tax ref numbers etc....

Seen a Ute and looked at a nice car which we have agreed to buy.

Cant beleive we are here... We are so fortunate....

Just a quick message to let you know we are fine.... Gonna be busy over the next couple of weeks but im sure i will pop on here....

Good luck to all those still waiting.... Its worth it and it does happen...

Best wishes

Ozzy Chris

Guest stockies

Great post........... Glad to hear your Daughter will be joining you soon.........Enjoy..And welcome to Australia.

Claire. XX

What a great positive post and congratulations!

We were/are in almost the same situation as you regarding leaving daughter behind. Our 22yr old said she was staying in the UK to be with her boyfriend then she announced she wanted to come a few months after we had moved.

Her visa (last remaining rellie) has just been granted and she plans to arrive around end of September :jiggy:

It is incredibly tough leaving them behind so absolutely fantastic when that changes so I wish you all the very best in getting her here.

I love Caloundra too and wish we were living there. Have friends there so visit often (am down on the Goldie so not too far) and am slowly and steadily working on OH bout moving there one day.

Good luck and happy days ahead!

Lyn

Guest snow white

hi chris

great post mate pleased your getting into the ozzie life so quickly fantastic news about your daughter i bet thats made your day pleased everything is finally coming together for you mate you deserve it

not be long before the barbies lit im sure lol

lesley x

Guest chris_mac

Wow guys... Thanks again for the posts...... You all rock...

Had a mad one one today... Went to the bank and sorted all that out... Monday morning and the bank had no money? I couldnt believe it... Only wanted 15k and we had to wait...

Went to the Transport dept and got the driving licences.. $76 for five years.. Only a form to fill out, show some id and thats it.. Also they give me full bike licence to.. Didnt get the HGV though, not to bothered about that... It just feels great having an ozzy licence.. Weird?

Bought all the beds, Microwave, toaster, kettle etc.. Spent 11k today and loved it... Haggled on a leather suite up in Kawana and got it down to 3800 from 6000.. Great saving! The sales rep could wait to get me outta the building... Bought 4 beds which hit 5060 and got them for 4k also... I love getting prices down.. Having the cash in the hand helps...

Got a sat nav so we dont get lost..

Looking for a fridge tomoz and a school for the daughter... Did the police check form last night for my eldest daughter...

Oz is pretty good and we are all loving it... Should be in the house by friday which is outta this world.. Cnat wait to get my BBQ and have a house warming.. Who wants to come? Bring your buggie smigglers and cozzies.. lol

Speak later...

Chris

Guest benedict1

I ACTUALLY have tears in my eyes reading your post!!!!

So pleased to hear that your daughter is going to be with you!

I have friends who live not far from you. If you want some support, PM me and I will give you their details. (We will be staying with them when we arrive in a couple of months)

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest roma 1

Thanks Chris for your great posts and i am so pleased your daughter changed her mind.

All the Best for the future and i see you smiling as you type lol .. Enjoy it all as you deserve it and Thanks for your help when i needed it,

Gail xx

Guest upsydaisey

Hi, Our friends are moving back to Oz after returning home from there a couple of years back, They were missing Eng once back home they realised theyd made a big mistake, now theyre goin back. We plan to go stay with them over Xmas & the New Year to mooch around & see if wede like it also. I love the idea but my one Fear is the SPIDERS!! If I cant get over that were doomed. Our friends told us you do come across them they had a Huntsman in their house several times, & my friend got bit through the night & had to go to the drs next day for jabs!! Yes she was ok but it scares me.

They told us you adjust to that by checking your shoes, toilet seat, bed covers,washing etc. So ive found myself checking myself all the time at home, things I take for granted here, I also worry that anything would happen to my 2yr old. At home he mooches around the garden, digging etc something Id have to watch him with over there. I Think I may drive myself & my family crazy with my phobia. Do you have any worries in that department? Snakes dont bother me as much just spiders. Angie

Hi, Our friends are moving back to Oz after returning home from there a couple of years back, They were missing Eng once back home they realised theyd made a big mistake, now theyre goin back. We plan to go stay with them over Xmas & the New Year to mooch around & see if wede like it also. I love the idea but my one Fear is the SPIDERS!! If I cant get over that were doomed. Our friends told us you do come across them they had a Huntsman in their house several times, & my friend got bit through the night & had to go to the drs next day for jabs!! Yes she was ok but it scares me.

They told us you adjust to that by checking your shoes, toilet seat, bed covers,washing etc. So ive found myself checking myself all the time at home, things I take for granted here, I also worry that anything would happen to my 2yr old. At home he mooches around the garden, digging etc something Id have to watch him with over there. I Think I may drive myself & my family crazy with my phobia. Do you have any worries in that department? Snakes dont bother me as much just spiders. Angie

Hate spiders myself, But when you think about it logically there are a lot of people that don't wear shoes anywhere. Been here 7 months saw a big one that ran out of my sofa after it had been in storage and not much else. You do tend to forget about them after a while!!! sort of

Can't talk as a newcomer but, if it's any help, as a local I can tell you I barely think about them. In a modern brick and tile at the moment and only very occassionally see one around the house. Knowing they do nothing to you means you just ignore them.

See them around the garden and they just sit in the same spot in their webs waiting for an insect - they really are not thinking about you :) They are quite interesting to look at and you can look right up close without any bother. I have a 4 yo and would never worry about him unless he was lifting a pile of junk up or something like that - really barely ever think about it - maybe you can get to this point one day as well :)

Just bang out gloves and shoes left out in the garden, get the house and garden sprayed by a pro, spray under your garden furniture regularly yourself and be little bit careful when lifting underneath things left in the garden.

Maybe knowing the following will help:

Redback - An effective antivenom is widely available. No deaths have occurred since its introduction almost 50 years ago.

Funnel-web - No deaths have been recorded since the introduction of an antivenom in 1980.

Last death in Australia from a spider was 1979.

Guest chris_mac

Hi all

got the most important two things yesterday.. The BBQ and Fridges! Now you wouldnt want a warm beer would you! lol

Went back up to Kawana yesterday shopping.. Its seems to be the best place around Caloundra for house hold goods and garden furniture... Word of advice for anyone setting up house like us is HAGGLE HAGGLE and HAGGLE... You really can save a fortune.. These shops are desperate for your custom..

What we saved from being really cheeky on the purchase of the beds, furniture etc was enough to pay for the big american type fridge, big fridge for the garage and washing machine!

Rang Qld government to let them know we had arrived (you have 28 days) and the lady who answered was absolutely lovely. Wished us warm welcome to oz, offered to help with seeking jobs, and just was really nice...

Went for a 5k run yesterday morn starting at the pavillion cafe, Bullcock up to the monument 2.5k away then returned.. Been roped into a Triathlon in october by the Brother inlaw.... Running along the beach side at 7.00am with the sun coming up was pretty spectctular.. Same time all the surfers where out as where about 50 elderly swimmers doing their morning swim.... People must have thought i was bonkers smiling to myself like a cheshire cat... its so beautiful i cant beleive we are here and doing it...

My lad is 19 and is soft as ****... He is convinced he is going to get bit by a snake and die..lol ....So we bought a plastic snake and stuck it in his wardrobe so he would see it.... LAUGH! OMG... The next door neigbour came out when they heard the screams and everyone was rolling on the floor laughing... He has forgive us now and see's the funny side...

Bit cold for the pool yet as the they dont get hot enough during winter but the kids werent bothered and dived in.... Really cant wait till its get warmer... Mad hot i mean as we are gonna to have so much fun..

I will update soon...

Best wishes

Chris:hug:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Chris

Lovely to hear from you. It sounds like you had a good flight and are now having the time of your life.

Please think of me when you do your keep fit runs. That way I can console myself with the thought that you are keeping fit for both thee and me. I don't mind walking 5 miles but I couldn't run 50 yards.

All will be well with Daughter and she will be with you soon, never fear. You will have had time to get the house straight by the time she arrives.

Cheers

Gill

xx

Guest chris_mac
You've done it Chris!!!! Congratulations to all of you!!!

We leave in 2 weeks heading to caloundra too! How long did it take to get a rental??

:hug:

Jo x

Ho Jo

Our sister in law sorted it prior to our arrival.. A friend of theirs moved out of the street and let us rent it basically and on the same day we arrived... Perfect timing.

Best of luck

Chris

Guest chris_mac
Hi Chris & family, Sooo glad to hear you're in Oz safe & sound & settling in quickly. Fab news about your daughter, hope mine does the same to me but somehow I can't see it! X

Hi Cazz

I never thought for a minute my daughter wanted to come either after 2 years of saying she was fine with it, however, when it comes to it the emotions etc become real and so strong...

Im sure it will all work out..

Chris

Guest chris_mac
Do you have any worries in that department?

The wife is more than happy!:Randy-git: lol

As for the spiders and snakes..!! Dont bother me or the wife in the slightest... Never seen a snake yet! and only one big spider and that was in a tree up at Fraser island..

Best wishes

Chris

Guest chris_mac
Hi Chris

Lovely to hear from you. It sounds like you had a good flight and are now having the time of your life.

Please think of me when you do your keep fit runs. That way I can console myself with the thought that you are keeping fit for both thee and me. I don't mind walking 5 miles but I couldn't run 50 yards.

All will be well with Daughter and she will be with you soon, never fear. You will have had time to get the house straight by the time she arrives.

Cheers

Gill

xx

Hi Gill

Im wide awake every morning at 4 am so i come on here... Dont get the chance during the day or evenings at the moment being so busy...

Thanks for helping with my daughter, :hug: she has now calmed down a little but is still is keen to come over... Facebook and txts are helping greatly... Cant ring her every day as it cost a fortune on the mobile... No phone line yet!

With regards to the running, i ask myself every time i do it.. Why?... Then i remember i drink to much beer and eat to much food so its a must!!! Need to get fit for the Fire or Police service to..... Once i apply! All these young guns to compete against..

It really is good here and like you say, I cant wait til it gets even better.

Best wishes

Chris

Guest snow white

hi chris

its an absolute pleasure to read your posts although weve been here 2 years reading about you just arriving and grinning like a cheshire cat brings a huge smile to my face!!!!! reminds me of why we came

wishing you all teh best for you and your family and hoping daughter arrives very soon then the picture will be complete

lesley x

Ho Jo

Our sister in law sorted it prior to our arrival.. A friend of theirs moved out of the street and let us rent it basically and on the same day we arrived... Perfect timing.

Best of luck

Chris

Defo perfect timing Chris!

Good luck with everything and keep us posted!

:wub: Jo x

Archived