Guest asrais

House and land packages?

Guest asrais

When you see house and land packages for sale, what exactly does that mean?

Is the price they advertise really the price you pay?

I've been looking at some adds, and seems to me that they are very cheap compared to already existing houses - whats the catch?

How long does it usually take to completion, once you've decided on one?

:eek:

Guest proud2beaussie

Easy way to find out is to contact one of the companies advertising the packages and ask them,they always have email addresses and phone numbers.

Some house and land packages do offer a good deal, however after renovating this house we live in ,i learnt early on that in Oz most of your money is spent outside, pool, patio, shed, gardens etc. None of this is included in a house and land package although most include a driveway, some also turf the garden, but not all..

Always check with the builder what is actually included, most people i have spoke to have built homes say the price shown is using basic materials, standard light fittings, kitchen etc and there is always something you want to upgrade,lol,

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Guest Toorak Trev

Exactly what Calnary said and

You are paying a premium for suburbs established over years with infrastructure and amenities whereas new estates often need 10 to 15 years to get established.

Bewary that to further your investment on the property tree in the early stages of an estate your resale value is controlled by the continued availability of new housing stock (why buy 2nd hand when you can buy new). In established you can add value with immediate impact.

During the long hot days of summer you reap the benefit of those hundred year old trees shading your car and front of house.

I agree with the others but would add that any changes you make i.e. extra light fittings, plug points, tv points etc you will be absolutely striped for. Most 'project' builders (as opposed to independent builders) don't make much profit on the basic house package but make their profit big time on the extras.

Things to note would be only ONE power point in every room, one light fitting which is usually a recessed one and gives off bugger all light, one TV point, plastic basins, plastic cisterns on the loo's, plastic tiny bath's and in many cases insulation will not be included either :wacko: It will be bottom of the range on everything so the minute you upgrade the $ signs will start ringing big time but it'll give you a start if that's what you need and you can always change things later.

Some of the house and land packages advertise as 'turn key' which means all the landscaping will be done too (basically turf slung down everywhere incl on top of the builders rubble - beware!) along with blinds - the vertical type in every rental in Australia I swear!! plus carpets.

As Cal says, the major expense will be on outside work and that can be a big 'ouch'!

You should allow 2/3 months for the paperwork side to go through then around 6 months for the actual build time (depends on the type of house being build eg single or 2 storey).

All the project builders are much the same in regards reputation - many people will give good and bad experiences of all the major players however there is one I can tell you to avoid like the plague, they truly are atrocious - in many cases they take several YEARS to complete because they can't get tradesmen because they don't pay them etc etc and the finish, when it comes will be appalling! coz they end up using cra**y ones!! PM me if you want the name.

Good luck and happy hunting - with eyes wide open!

Lyn

Don't believe a word those adverts say. Allow 50% more than the quoted price on the ads and about 8 months for construction, don't forget no work happens when it rains here, if you build during a wet season, you ain't building at all.

There's a thread called Build Your Own Home, or something similar, where all this was pretty comprehensively covered.

Cheers

Guest guest30038

Lyn is spot on. The deals offered are based on a limited choice of power points, light fittings, tiles, taps, roof tiles, brick styles and even pointing.........even stoves, and other fittings are of the most basic and most of which would be unacceptable to a discerning buyer. Once you sit down with the building planners, you will find that you may want different roof tiles, floor tiles, worktops and vanities etc, and, in our case, when we chose other than what they offered, it stuck another 25% on the price quoted in the package.

kev