Any one in Darwin?

Guest geordie mandy

Hi All,

New to this forum and would like to find out some info on Palmerston\Darwin.

I am an ADF transfer coming from UK and received my formal offer today for 1CSR on Robertson Barracks. Still early I know but does anyone know of schooling and houses in that area and where I would be likely to go\placed?

Regards

Hi there.

We arrive in Darwin at the end of the year as we are being posted from Victoria up to Darwin. We are laterals and arrived Feb 07.

Most of the housing is in Palmerston, mostly in the suburbs of Gunn and Durack. Durack has its own primary school and for Gunn, the closest one I think is in Bakewell. There are also a few private schools in Palmerston and more in Darwin.

Feel free to ask any questions or you can send me a PM if you like. :smile:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest thistles and gum trees
Hi All,

New to this forum and would like to find out some info on Palmerston\Darwin.

I am an ADF transfer coming from UK and received my formal offer today for 1CSR on Robertson Barracks. Still early I know but does anyone know of schooling and houses in that area and where I would be likely to go\placed?

Regards

Hi & welcome

As far as housing, there are houses all over Darwin. Although Robbo Barracks are closer to Palmerston I would highly recommend you try and get something in Darwin. The houses in Palmerston are nice and on some occassions newer however the crime rate in Palmerston is very high. All new developments are out there as it costs less to build and there are also a lot more low cost housing and indig settlements. It also depends upon schooling if you have children. We live as far away from Palmerston as is possible (Larrakeyah) and it only takes us 15 min to drive there. If my hubby were at Robbo we would still chose to live where we do (there are lots of guys on our base at Robbo) If I had a friend coming over I would recommend trying for a property in 1) Cullen Bay (yes defence to have SOME there.. 2) Bayview, 3) Larrakeyah; 4) Fannie Bay anywhere else, ask....

Schools can be very important when coming from overseas - check them correctly - we had to move our children 2 months after we arrived - they are now very happy in their school. The public schools are all totally zoned and rarely make compromise so check them before you commit to a house.

For the record - we love Darwin its a great place to be and a great place to raise kids. ALL the kids sporting activities are in Darwin - another reason for not going out to Palmerston - although like I said only a 10 min drive from most activities. In Darwin there is Soccer; AFL; Rubgy; Cricket; Gymnastics; Basketball; Sea cadets; brownies & guides and much more. The beauty for the kids is that as there in not much else in the NT you get to represent your state in things easier!!!! My son plays soccer for NT under 16s and my daughter got to dance at the Arafura Games :) One quick thing..... if you are miving to Dariwn and want a private school for your kids - register in advance $10 - you can always pull out!!!! Our son (going into Yr 5 in Jan - at Marrara Chrsitan college) had a wait a while for his place - take note the good schools always have a waiting list!!!!

Hope this helps. You will love it here!

Guest thistles and gum trees

Sorry I meant to say - you dont get allocated a house - you can chose. They have a thing called homefind - which is just like looking at a property market prospective of any houses in your entitlement. Rank is not an entitlement here, children are. There is NO ranked quarters. The areas you get offered are just what is available when you are in need. If you need ideas of areas - just shout :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest paulandsharron

Hi all,

Me and my family moved here late July '09 (from UK) as I have work here. We're living in Palmerston in a lovely large house on 1.5 acres with a pool - bliss! Don't believe all you read/hear about Palmerston - sure it has some areas I wouldn't live in but it has some lovely parts too. There are some parts of Darwin I wouldn't want to live in but I know every place has its good and bad sides. One thing I would say - in all the news I've seen and papers I've read in the past couple of months, any trouble/crime has been in Darwin, havn't seen anything in Palmerston, so please keep an open mind on areas.

If anyone wants any info on moving here from a UK perspective, just ask. Best thing we ever did!

Paul & Sharron

Hi all,

Me and my family moved here late July '09 (from UK) as I have work here. We're living in Palmerston in a lovely large house on 1.5 acres with a pool - bliss! Don't believe all you read/hear about Palmerston - sure it has some areas I wouldn't live in but it has some lovely parts too. There are some parts of Darwin I wouldn't want to live in but I know every place has its good and bad sides. One thing I would say - in all the news I've seen and papers I've read in the past couple of months, any trouble/crime has been in Darwin, havn't seen anything in Palmerston, so please keep an open mind on areas.

If anyone wants any info on moving here from a UK perspective, just ask. Best thing we ever did!

Paul & Sharron

I agree. We visited Darwin last year to do a reccy and found we liked Palmerston. We have secured a house in Gunn in Palmerston and are happy with that. :biggrin:

Hi there, we are flying to Darwin now in 3 weeks time (ADF) and still have no housing. We have 3 children and only recently did they up our entitlement to a 4 bedroom house but as yet there is still nothing available...although they are e-mailing us some 3 bed properties however it seems to be all the rubbish they are trying to get rid of. If any of you guys are on Homefind can you have a look and see what is actually available as I feel we are getting mucked around.

Julz

Don't know if you are aware of this....

Army Rumour Service > > Forums > > ARRSE International > > Australia > > Assistance for the Families of Lateral Transferees to ADF

Might be worth dropping them an email, wife of a Lateral, now working for civi side of welfare, (sort of SSAFA). Should be able to ask some questions for you at least.....i know one of the issues she has on her list is the whole question of being able to view housing on homefinder.

Hi, My cousin lives in Darwin and loves it there.

My 2 boys went to stay with her and went camping and fishing and had the most amazing time, they said the sunset was spectacular !!

My cousin has a fishing company if you fancy checking it out

www.humbugfishing.com.au

alternatively her name is Lorna if you fancy contacting her at Humbug and asking any further questions about Darwin, just let her know you have spoken to me through this website.

Enjoy Darwin

Regards Kim

Hi, My cousin lives in Darwin and loves it there.

My 2 boys went to stay with her and went camping and fishing and had the most amazing time, they said the sunset was spectacular !!

My cousin has a fishing company if you fancy checking it out

www.humbugfishing.com.au

alternatively her name is Lorna if you fancy contacting her at Humbug and asking any further questions about Darwin, just let her know you have spoken to me through this website.

Enjoy Darwin

Regards Kim

Hope you don't mind but checked out the website as we move to Darwin at the end of the year and OH is keen to try his hand at fishing! Looks great!

Hi there, we are flying to Darwin now in 3 weeks time (ADF) and still have no housing. We have 3 children and only recently did they up our entitlement to a 4 bedroom house but as yet there is still nothing available...although they are e-mailing us some 3 bed properties however it seems to be all the rubbish they are trying to get rid of. If any of you guys are on Homefind can you have a look and see what is actually available as I feel we are getting mucked around.

Before we arrived here (as laterals in Feb 07), we were told there were no available properties. When we got here, the DHA were great and we had the choice of around 4 properties to choose from. It still seems to be the same now. One family arrived a few weeks ago and were told the same thing, but once they got here they had the choice of quite a few.

When we were Homefind about a month ago, there were a few 3 bedroomed houses in Durack in Palmerston and the rest seemed to be on the RAAF base. The ones in Durack looked nice but not sure about the ones on the RAAF base! We only got to look at the 3 bedroomed ones as this is all we are entitled to.

Have you managed to speak to anyone at the DHA?

Fingers crossed everything works out for you! :biggrin:

• 1 month later...

Hi there

new to this forum but have trawled a few others for information. Thanks to everyone for the information contained on this thread, it's been the most useful yet.

Husband's a lateral transferee and we're heading to Darwin in early January. I'm busy researching schools (2 children aged 15 and 9) and preparing for the shippers etc. Yay, can't wait!! Hope everything is going well for the recent arrivals.

Welcome Twigs

One of this years Laterals as well, off to Townsville probably.

Have you checked into the ARRSE chat and Facebook group as well?

Hi EF

yep, been, seen and participated in the arrse thread. The info on there seems to have dired up lately so I found this thread through searching. So glad I did as the Darwin info has been a great help.

When are you due to leave UK?

Mornin' Twigs

Plan is to be over there by Easter next year. All the visa paperwork is done, lodged on 28th Sept so expecting to hear something in next fortnight or so.

Mornin' Twigs

Plan is to be over there by Easter next year. All the visa paperwork is done, lodged on 28th Sept so expecting to hear something in next fortnight or so.

good luck with the visa, the turn around seems fairly quick at the moment.

I'm at the stage of trying to research schools. Hmmm :unsure:

We had the same problem! Did a trip up to Darwin a few months ago with the kids to get this organised (and also to have a bit of a holiday!). Have managed to get my son (who will be going into Year 3) and my daughter (who will be going into Year 7) sorted!

Do you have any ideas about where you may want to live when you move over? This can make a difference as regards the state schools as they are zoned.

If you need any help, just ask. :biggrin:

• 9 months later...
Guest N0madic
It looks like My OH, myself and 3 boys are going to be moving to Darwin in around 6 months. Any info would be great , as its a place i never had considered living. That was untill My Oh was told he would be given a job there.

Mandy

Hi, I'm moving to Darwin early next year, as soon as my visa is approved! I have been there once and must say I loved it, much nicer than Sydney and very friendly. I hope it all works out for you and you're all really happy there. Will keep an eye out to see how you are getting on:-)

• 3 weeks later...
It looks like My OH, myself and 3 boys are going to be moving to Darwin in around 6 months. Any info would be great , as its a place i never had considered living. That was untill My Oh was told he would be given a job there.

Mandy

Hi there, I’ve just joined this site but I’ve been living in Oz for two years. I’ve been in Darwin for one year now, after moving up from Brisbane with work.

Darwin is a small vibrant city. The cost of living is a lot higher than most of Oz, I think even maybe more than Sydney now. Rent and House Prices are high, average rent being around $450 a week upwards, average house prices $500’000 upwards. It was a bit of a shock as I didn’t negotiate a wage increase to coincide! A lot of high prices is to do with the remoteness of Darwin. Thats what vie heard anyway.

But I do like Darwin, for its culture, National Parks with waterfalls and waterholes to swim in, nightlife is more European. Cullen bay is a great place for a meal, over looking the boats. I think maybe that has to do with all the backpackers here in the dry season. Markets are good, people here are very friendly. And I’m sure you’ll get invited to many a barbecue.

The wet season can be hard going as most things close down. National Parks, tours, markets but they do put on a Monsoon market in Rapid Creek to make up for Mindil Market not being on. Very humid, can be hard to sit outside without being wet through. The streets are quieter and no Traffic..Yay.

:jiggy:

The dry season has a buzz about it and everything comes alive! People, streets its great love it, 33 degrees nearly everyday no humidity....awesome :biggrin:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello All,

Apologies for the thread-necromancy but I felt given the previous posts it would be more likely to get additional useful information than a brand new one.

My wife has successfully gained state sponsorship with NT and we are intending moving to Darwin in June or July this year.

I would be grateful of any advice regarding Darwin, housing/rent, local services, jobs or costings etc?

As my wife's skills are in HR and I am an ICT professional any job search pointers would be of great help.

Many thanks in advance.

- 4lan.

Guest siamsusie

Hi there,

Janine the Party Queen, is in Darwin and would be delighted to help you. They are having a cyclone right now, and I know her electricity went down for a bit last night.... Why not click on her name and leave her a pm and she will get back to you.

Best wishes

Susie

Archived