TIMELINE - Citizenship application & Citizenship Ceremony

Guest angkorgo99

I am unfortunately pretty frustrated with the citizenship process. Applied on 7th July this year, approved on 8th August and still waiting.

I have not been invited to the November ceremony and the council confirmed there won`t be ceremonies in December.

They are not sure will they have one on Australia day.

So I will be waiting at least 6 months and likely more.

Council is Canada Bay Sydney.

Our shire does them every month yet we still had to wait a few months and there were a least 70 people becoming citizens at our ceremony. Unfortunatley, you just have to wait - it's the same for everyone.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Our shire does them every month yet we still had to wait a few months and there were a least 70 people becoming citizens at our ceremony. Unfortunatley, you just have to wait - it's the same for everyone.

Well yes, but it is not fair that some people get it in a month while others wait for a year. All based on chance and where they live...

Why can`t they organise ceremonies in one spot for the whole of Sydney every week?

I doubt people would complain if it was in the CBD.

For example for me it is easier to get to CBD by train in 10-15 minutes than to walk or take the bus to the council which would take 30-40 minutes.

Well yes, but it is not fair that some people get it in a month while others wait for a year. All based on chance and where they live...

Why can`t they organise ceremonies in one spot for the whole of Sydney every week?

I doubt people would complain if it was in the CBD.

For example for me it is easier to get to CBD by train in 10-15 minutes than to walk or take the bus to the council which would take 30-40 minutes.

But complaining about the unfairness isn't going to make it any quicker, Our ceremony, I imagine took a fair bit or organising, refreshements, the people performing the ceremony to be there etc., and they do have other duties to perform. You should have perhaps nominated a different shire.

But complaining about the unfairness isn't going to make it any quicker, Our ceremony, I imagine took a fair bit or organising, refreshements, the people performing the ceremony to be there etc., and they do have other duties to perform. You should have perhaps nominated a different shire.

It might if all unhappy with the current system would get organised and speak against it.

Yes, so wouldn`t it be easier to be organised for the whole city at one spot instead of hundred separate councils?

You cannot nominate council you want, only the one you live in since they ask to see your bills, rental agreement or other proof.

And to move to an area just for the citizenship ceremony would be equally crazy.

It might if all unhappy with the current system would get organised and speak against it.

Yes, so wouldn`t it be easier to be organised for the whole city at one spot instead of hundred separate councils?

You cannot nominate council you want, only the one you live in since they ask to see your bills, rental agreement or other proof.

And to move to an area just for the citizenship ceremony would be equally crazy.

You do seem to be the only one who sees it as such a big problem, perhaps it's more convenient for some people to have the ceremony in their shire than to have it in the City. Once you're a citizen and can run for public office - perhaps this can be one of your mandates? Until then, I'm afraid you're just going to have to wait.

I am sure if ppl were asked which would they prefer: go once to CBD for the ceremony or wait for months without knowing when would it happen having to drop any travelling plans vast majority would opt for the first option.

I can`t travel anywhere definitely for 6-7 months (no holiday, no seeing family) and possibly longer because they send ceremony invitation letters just two weeks upfront.

And if I god forbid miss the ceremony who knows how long would I wait for the next one.

They could scrap the ceremony altogether. In Austria when you become eligible for the citizenship you just show up at the respective office and the same day you are given everything. No need for drinks, space etc. which would also make it cheaper both for applicants and the Immigration office.

Here is what they say: http://www.immi.gov.au/about/charters/client-services-charter/standards/2.6.htm

-understand that following approval of your application, the waiting time for you to attend your ceremony is generally within three months but can vary.

So, there is no maximum limit set, one can wait for a year and longer!

You've answered your own question then ... it can vary and there is no maximum time limit, and continuing to complain about it isn't going to make it happen any faster.

Totally understanding how frustrated to wait for something that you don't know for how long and have to put your life on hold. I think while you are waiting for the invitation, you can travel overseas, as long as you are able to turn up at the ceremony.

Well yes I can, but they send the letter two weeks up front. Which means someone has to check the letter box regularly instead of me and I have to drop everything and buy another expensive plane ticket to go back. Imagine giving 3K AUD for a return ticket to Europe only to find out you need to go back right after you arrive!

Well yes I can, but they send the letter two weeks up front. Which means someone has to check the letter box regularly instead of me and I have to drop everything and buy another expensive plane ticket to go back. Imagine giving 3K AUD for a return ticket to Europe only to find out you need to go back right after you arrive!

I do feel for your situation, but continuing to complain about it on the forum isn't going to make things happen more quickly.

I do feel for your situation, but continuing to complain about it on the forum isn't going to make things happen more quickly.

It can, if people against it get organised and submit a petition. And the best way to get it done today is online.

I agree. Becoming a citizen can be a lengthly process. DIAC is generally very fast. It's the council that can delay the whole process.

considering the fact that it's basically just reading the ministers message to the candidates, doing the pledge and handing out the certificate, it should be a much faster process. Yes its nice to have a ceremony and celebrate the day, but there should also be an option to opt for a departmental ceremony if preferred.

i was lucky with mine, I qualified for an urgent ceremony which ment being allocated to the next ceremony available, but I've got a friend who wasn't and has been waiting for over three months now.

Guest GeorgeD

I know a family who have recently received their ceremony date for Australia day (26th Jan)...so that's more than two months notice. Not sure where the two weeks comes from. Could you try neighbouring Councils? It doesn't need to be your own.

I agree. Becoming a citizen can be a lengthly process. DIAC is generally very fast. It's the council that can delay the whole process.

considering the fact that it's basically just reading the ministers message to the candidates, doing the pledge and handing out the certificate, it should be a much faster process. Yes its nice to have a ceremony and celebrate the day, but there should also be an option to opt for a departmental ceremony if preferred.

i was lucky with mine, I qualified for an urgent ceremony which ment being allocated to the next ceremony available, but I've got a friend who wasn't and has been waiting for over three months now.

Hi wairoa, How could you qualified for an urgent ceremony ?

I contacted my council three times and they, as all other councils, claim that they just organise the ceremony and do not participate in any way in allocation of spots. DIAC has the list and it notifies councils who and when will attend the ceremony.

Where council does participate in creation of bottleneck is the frequency of ceremonies. I don`t understand why they can`t adjust the frequency to popular demand. If there aren`t that many people waiting they can drop a ceremony or two and vice versa when people are waiting for 6 months they could organise an additional function.

I contacted my council three times and they, as all other councils, claim that they just organise the ceremony and do not participate in any way in allocation of spots. DIAC has the list and it notifies councils who and when will attend the ceremony.

Where council does participate in creation of bottleneck is the frequency of ceremonies. I don`t understand why they can`t adjust the frequency to popular demand. If there aren`t that many people waiting they can drop a ceremony or two and vice versa when people are waiting for 6 months they could organise an additional function.

But they're not going to do that for you and you need to just accept it.

I know a family who have recently received their ceremony date for Australia day (26th Jan)...so that's more than two months notice. Not sure where the two weeks comes from. Could you try neighbouring Councils? It doesn't need to be your own.

I spoke with the DIAC citizenship operators three times on the phone and they claimed that in general invitation to ceremony is sent two weeks prior. No, it HAS to be your own as DIAC asks for evidence of residence at the interview: utilities bills, residential agreement etc.

But they're not going to do that for you and you need to just accept it.

No, I am not going to accept it as I have not seen my family for 4.5 years and now when I can see them the citizenship process comes in the way. I have never seen my 3 years old niece and my uncle died from cancer so I need to go there.

Wairoa, please share the criteria how to apply for urgent processing. Thanks!

I don't think he/she really expects them to change anything - but I don't know why you keep going on at them to let it go. It's not like it's the only thing on here that people moan about, is it?

No it's not, but suggestions to let it go rather than continue to get stressed out about something that is unlikely to change can be detrimental to someone, but thanks for your comments, it's helped me decide to let go of it myself.

Guest The Pom Queen
I spoke with the DIAC citizenship operators three times on the phone and they claimed that in general invitation to ceremony is sent two weeks prior. No, it HAS to be your own as DIAC asks for evidence of residence at the interview: utilities bills, residential agreement etc.

Ok, what is the urgency? If it is what DIAC class as an emergency then they can arrange for you to go in on your own (within a week) usually to the CBD and get it done. This is how all of Melbourne work so I would presume other states will have something similar in place.

Guest The Pom Queen

ok read here its for the city but it will be the same guidelines throughout NSW:

[h=3]What happens if I can’t make it to my ceremony?[/h] If for any reason you cannot attend at the date or time advised, please contact DIAC immediately so that they are able to reschedule your ceremony. If you do not advise DIAC and miss your ceremony, Council is required to return your certificate to DIAC and the certificate will have to be reissued. The City of Sydney cannot issue you with the certificate if you miss your ceremony.

[h=3]Can the City of Sydney put me in a ceremony?[/h] The City can only perform the ceremony for the approved applicants notified to us by DIAC. The City of Sydney council cannot process or lodge your application and cannot add you to a list for a ceremony.

[h=3]I’m in a hurry or I have to go overseas or I need my Citizenship quickly can the City of Sydney help me?[/h] No, the City can only perform the ceremony for the approved applicants notified to us by DIAC. The City of Sydney council cannot process or lodge your application and cannot add you to a list for a ceremony.

If you need to be approved quickly for valid reasons please call DIAC and they may be able to arrange a ceremony at their offices.

Archived