ICT Network engineer jobs in Melbourne?

zamb

Hi there,

My wife and I are moving to Melbourne at the end of September and we are currently looking for jobs over there. I am in ICT/Telecomms and she is in Marketing. I've been sending my CV out left, right and centre and have had very little response from headhunters down in Melbourne. I appreciate that the global economy is not what it used to be, but I was just wondering if any other Network Engineers (or suchlike) have managed to secure jobs prior to moving to Melbourne and can offer advice on securing a job over there? Someone has suggested contacting UK companies with presence in Australia and I think that sounds like a great idea, but I've no idea where to start...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Recruitment agencies should be responding, at least to let you know to get in touch when you arrive, if you have a good CV and experience. My other half is in that industry and agencies like Talent2, Icon, etc were helpful when we arrived in Adelaide. Do you have an arrival date yet? That does make a difference, and also, you are a bit far out, it being 2 months until you arrive, they will be wanting to send you on interviews soon, so perhaps wait until you are 3 weeks out from arrival, then email and ask for a contact person and try to set up an interview for the week you arrive.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Zamb

Unfortunately agencies are terrible at responding, they were before the economy slowed down so they will be less likely now. The best thing to do is to wait until you arrive in Melbourne and then start cold calling on businesses. Be warned Australians are not very good at returning phone calls or responding to emails so please do not take this personally.

Good luck

Kate

Hi Zamb

Unfortunately agencies are terrible at responding, they were before the economy slowed down so they will be less likely now. The best thing to do is to wait until you arrive in Melbourne and then start cold calling on businesses. Be warned Australians are not very good at returning phone calls or responding to emails so please do not take this personally.

Good luck

Kate

It all depends. My hubs had 3 jobs offers when we got here a bit over a year ago, from 3 different agencies, within 2 weeks of arrival, and he now works as a senior network engineer. He had good experience, skills, and a great resume, and he didn't do much work to get interviews (beyond researching agencies) before we arrived.

I also wouldn't generalise to say Aussies don't respond to email and phone calls, as I haven't found that to be true. If you present yourself well, you'll get responses.

Guest The Pom Queen

I see that you are in Adelaide which is probably different to Melbourne. We have a partnership with a couple of recruitment agencies and they prefer people to be here in Melbourne before helping. We have had clients arrive who have degrees and plenty of experience in managerial positions but it still takes time and lots of cold calling before they get anywhere.

In regards to emails it doesn't matter how you present yourself you don't always get a reply and that is true not just with agencies but in dealing with any companies, schools, realestate agents etc.:wubclub:

Thanks guys,

I've had "some" response from headhunters already. Typically from the type that promise to get you a phone interview tomorrow, but never to get back to you again :-)

My flight is booked for the 28th of Sept, so still some time to go, I guess. I've got a list of companies I will contact nearer to the time, but for now I will continue to send my CV to any interesting jobs I can find on the Web - you just never know.

Archived