Moving to Geelong

dawnmc

Hi again, i live in Highton and it takes me about 10 -12 mins to drive (actualy wife drives as i dont drive) to work in North Geelong. This side of Belmont would be the same (ish) but the other side of Belmont would add about a further 5-10 mins by car depending on which side of North Geelong you work. If you dont drive or want to cycle you really need to live in North Geelong, Hamlyn Heights, Herne Hill, Bell Park, Bell Post Hill.

Pez.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
Guest Tralaah
Hey everyone :)

I'm a 25yo Brit who's emigrated to Geelong. Anyone else a similar age and wanting to meet up with a fellow Brit/emigrator?! x

Hi, I came over from England in August and moved to Geelong at the begining of December, so far so good, I managed to find a great place to rent which I am loving. I'm in Geelong West, whereabouts are you?

Hi welshchick, we will be there in January we are 30 ish. We will be happy to meet up with anyone to try and make a whole new set of friends.

Hey have you moved here yet? Hope the moved went/goes well! have you found a place to stay yet? hope you're enjoying :)x

Guest guest36762
I'm living in Herne Hill.

What brings you to Oz, Geelong itself? Are you here perminantely? Enjoying?!

fancy that, we're in Herne Hill too!

Guest Tralaah

I'm in Geelong West, I moved over because I have family over here so I am here permanently. I'm enjoying it so far, although have moments when I wonder what I've done, but those feelings don't last too long thank goodness! I love my new house that I've just moved into too and am really enjoying Geelong.

I'm in Geelong West, I moved over because I have family over here so I am here permanently. I'm enjoying it so far, although have moments when I wonder what I've done, but those feelings don't last too long thank goodness! I love my new house that I've just moved into too and am really enjoying Geelong.

Ah that's good then! Did you move over here alone or with family/partner? I have some family in WA but moved to Geelong as moved here with an Aussie partner, so his family & friends are around here too. I have my moments, same as you, but then wonder what it would be like to move back to the UK again to live/work/etc, and then I remember why I made my decision :)

Are you renting/buying? we are renting at the moment.

Guest Tralaah
Ah that's good then! Did you move over here alone or with family/partner? I have some family in WA but moved to Geelong as moved here with an Aussie partner, so his family & friends are around here too. I have my moments, same as you, but then wonder what it would be like to move back to the UK again to live/work/etc, and then I remember why I made my decision :)

Are you renting/buying? we are renting at the moment.

I moved over by myself, my partner joined me three months later, actually on the same day we moved into the house! He's only here on a visitor visa so has to disappear at the end of Feb. I'm renting, but I was lucky enough to find a brand new place and the landlord is lovely. When I have my down moments I then realise I am better off here too, I miss people, but then when I think of how tough things were in the UK before I left, then I realise I am lucky. I am over on a last remaining relative visa, my family have been here for some time, its weird because they know so much and they know people, but I don't know anyone or anything, its all a learning curve for me! The first three months here without my partner were difficult too, but at least he's here now, it makes it so much better to have someone else to learn new things with. The good thing is everyone has been so friendly and helpful.

I moved over by myself, my partner joined me three months later, actually on the same day we moved into the house! He's only here on a visitor visa so has to disappear at the end of Feb. I'm renting, but I was lucky enough to find a brand new place and the landlord is lovely. When I have my down moments I then realise I am better off here too, I miss people, but then when I think of how tough things were in the UK before I left, then I realise I am lucky. I am over on a last remaining relative visa, my family have been here for some time, its weird because they know so much and they know people, but I don't know anyone or anything, its all a learning curve for me! The first three months here without my partner were difficult too, but at least he's here now, it makes it so much better to have someone else to learn new things with. The good thing is everyone has been so friendly and helpful.

Ah that's good. Geelong West is a nice area. We looked a few rentals in that area when we were looking.

Yeah it must have been lonely without your partner here. Is he going to get another visa after he has to leave in Feb?

Yes I agree. I miss the people back home in the UK but not the place really! I try to remember on my down moments how lucky I am :) I just wish the world was a smaller place!!!

I think I have been/still am quite impatient, as I wanted to be settled straight away, and I know it takes time to build up relationships with new friends and new surroundings. I am still settling in, but feel much more at home here now. I just need to keep reminding myself that things take time. In the UK, I had 25 years to build up friendships with people, and I've only been in Oz this time for 6 months! So still early days.

So are you working? How old are you?

Guest Tralaah
Ah that's good. Geelong West is a nice area. We looked a few rentals in that area when we were looking.

Yeah it must have been lonely without your partner here. Is he going to get another visa after he has to leave in Feb?

Yes I agree. I miss the people back home in the UK but not the place really! I try to remember on my down moments how lucky I am :) I just wish the world was a smaller place!!!

I think I have been/still am quite impatient, as I wanted to be settled straight away, and I know it takes time to build up relationships with new friends and new surroundings. I am still settling in, but feel much more at home here now. I just need to keep reminding myself that things take time. In the UK, I had 25 years to build up friendships with people, and I've only been in Oz this time for 6 months! So still early days.

So are you working? How old are you?

I know what you mean, when I arrived I had every intention of being settled, just like that, I had decided to take two weeks off work and then get out there and start my new life. Fortunately I started working within three weeks of arriving and then just saved and saved for the new house, I didn't bring anything with me other than clothes and shoes, so had to buy everything from scratch which has been fun.

I'm in Britannia Street, the Shannon Ave end, its surprisingly quiet, I was living in a little village in Devon before moving here, so was pleasantly surprised.

Meeting people is the hardest thing, I too have to keep reminding myself it takes time, plus my mum and sister are always reminding me! I've been helping them out at weekends with their business, they do farmers markets selling savoury/sweet tarts and Meredith Dairy cheese so I'm getting to know some people that way, I do the Torquay Farmers market every Saturday and the stall holders are very friendly, so its more like a social gathering every Saturday, rather than working! I work in North Melbourne during the week, but everyone I work with lives in North Melbourne or Point Cook, they think I travel a long way to work!

Paul is going to go to Cambodia at the end of Feb to teach English for a few months and then come back here, we will just have to keep doing this until we can get him a proper visa.

The TV here is a little on the old side for me so I have just succumbed and had FoxTel installed today, it has to be better than Freeview, or at least I am very much hoping it is!

I know what you mean, when I arrived I had every intention of being settled, just like that, I had decided to take two weeks off work and then get out there and start my new life. Fortunately I started working within three weeks of arriving and then just saved and saved for the new house, I didn't bring anything with me other than clothes and shoes, so had to buy everything from scratch which has been fun.

I'm in Britannia Street, the Shannon Ave end, its surprisingly quiet, I was living in a little village in Devon before moving here, so was pleasantly surprised.

Meeting people is the hardest thing, I too have to keep reminding myself it takes time, plus my mum and sister are always reminding me! I've been helping them out at weekends with their business, they do farmers markets selling savoury/sweet tarts and Meredith Dairy cheese so I'm getting to know some people that way, I do the Torquay Farmers market every Saturday and the stall holders are very friendly, so its more like a social gathering every Saturday, rather than working! I work in North Melbourne during the week, but everyone I work with lives in North Melbourne or Point Cook, they think I travel a long way to work!

Paul is going to go to Cambodia at the end of Feb to teach English for a few months and then come back here, we will just have to keep doing this until we can get him a proper visa.

The TV here is a little on the old side for me so I have just succumbed and had FoxTel installed today, it has to be better than Freeview, or at least I am very much hoping it is!

Ha yeah, I'm not a fan of TV - but I never watched that much in the UK either. We'll end up getting foxtel in the not-to-distance future too I reckon! Hope you're enjoying!!

Oh wow, Cambodia! That sounds awesome. I always wondered whether I should go somewhere to teach english but never did. Why doesn't he get a working holiday visa? Then he could stay here for at least a year. Then he could either get a job here and hope that the employer wants to keep him on and he can then get a visa through the sponsorship, or he can do fruit picking & get a second working holiday visa!? I'm sure you've thought about all this though. And there are sooo many visas to choose from!

Yeah we had to pretty much start again when we got here. It was hard to give away/get rid of so much stuff before we left the UK but it was refreshing in a way! Never realised just how much stuff I had!! Oh I think we had a rental in Brittania st on our list but found the one we're in before we viewed it (I think!)

My boyfriend works in North Geelong too. I work in Geelong, in Little Ryrie St, and am enjoying it. What job did you get? I got mine 5 weeks after arriving but had only been looking around 2 weeks, so that was good. Quite soon, and lucky really!! The markets you do sound quite interesting too :) A good way to get out, meet people & stuff!!

Sorry, I don't think I said - my name's Kim, my boyfriend's name is Steve & I'm 25/he's 26! I'm from Wales originally and he's Aussie! :) x

Hi. We are abit older than you lot we are 44 and 52 we have lived in Geelong for just over a year. We are now living in Hamlyn Heights but always ready to meet for a few pots.

Pez & Sarn.

Hey :) What brought you guys to Oz, well geelong itself then? Are you enjoying?? x

Hey :) What brought you guys to Oz, well geelong itself then? Are you enjoying?? x

Hi. Our son in laws mate moved here about 4 years ago and raved about it so my son in law and his wife (my step daughter) and family decided they wanted to emigrate. Me and the wife decided we couldn't be that far apart from her (our) daughter and 3 grandkids so we all emigrated together just over a year ago. We are now living in Hamlyn Heights, i work in North Geelong & Sarn is a care worker around Belmont area. We do enjoy the outdoor life etc, although i must admit i do miss family/home (Berkshire) a bit but were getting there.

Guest Tralaah
Ha yeah, I'm not a fan of TV - but I never watched that much in the UK either. We'll end up getting foxtel in the not-to-distance future too I reckon! Hope you're enjoying!!

Oh wow, Cambodia! That sounds awesome. I always wondered whether I should go somewhere to teach english but never did. Why doesn't he get a working holiday visa? Then he could stay here for at least a year. Then he could either get a job here and hope that the employer wants to keep him on and he can then get a visa through the sponsorship, or he can do fruit picking & get a second working holiday visa!? I'm sure you've thought about all this though. And there are sooo many visas to choose from!

Yeah we had to pretty much start again when we got here. It was hard to give away/get rid of so much stuff before we left the UK but it was refreshing in a way! Never realised just how much stuff I had!! Oh I think we had a rental in Brittania st on our list but found the one we're in before we viewed it (I think!)

My boyfriend works in North Geelong too. I work in Geelong, in Little Ryrie St, and am enjoying it. What job did you get? I got mine 5 weeks after arriving but had only been looking around 2 weeks, so that was good. Quite soon, and lucky really!! The markets you do sound quite interesting too :) A good way to get out, meet people & stuff!!

Sorry, I don't think I said - my name's Kim, my boyfriend's name is Steve & I'm 25/he's 26! I'm from Wales originally and he's Aussie! :) x

Hi Kim, my name's Angela and I came over from a tiny little village (6 houses) in Devon near Torquay.

You're so lucky having a job in Geelong, I have to travel to North Melbourne every day. I'm working as a PA at The University of Melbourne, although it is a short term contract role, so will start looking for something else soon.

The markets are definitely a great way to find your way around! I love doing the Torquay one as when it is finished we can just go down to the beach or to one of the cafes along the front for some lunch, I really like it there. I have to find my way to Trentham this Sunday, I'm told it is an hour on from Ballarrat, so plenty of opportunity to get lost!

Unfortunately Paul can't get a working visa as he's already had one, plus unfortunately he's too old! He's looking forward to touring round Asia every few months until we can get him in permanently, don't know when that will be, I worry about it all the time as I don't want him to go at the end of Feb, but he just keeps telling me to live one day at a time! Not really that easy though!

Guest Tralaah
Hi guys, im pretty new to Geelong too. Im in temporary accomodation in Belmont and looking to rent in Grovedale once my oh gets here next month.

Have you read Harpodoms thread on a Geelong meet-up recently?

Hi Pozz, I have read Harpodom's thread and am planning to go whenever we have a date. How long have you been here?

I arrived at the start of October, but my girlfriend had to sort a few things in the UK before she could come (my 457 was a lot quicker than we planned). 7 weeks and she will be here!

Im not really a lonely type of person, but christmas was wierd being on my own (I did spend the day with friends), and ironically my xmas box from the UK turned up today!

Guest Tralaah
I arrived at the start of October, but my girlfriend had to sort a few things in the UK before she could come (my 457 was a lot quicker than we planned). 7 weeks and she will be here!

Im not really a lonely type of person, but christmas was wierd being on my own (I did spend the day with friends), and ironically my xmas box from the UK turned up today!

Ooh the next 7 weeks will fly by, I know what its like to tick off the days, she must be so excited!

We both cant wait, but she is more apprehensive about leaving the UK as this was my dream long before I met her.

I think arriving first has helped in some ways as it allowed me to adjust to work and a new routine without having to worry about her at the same time. Now im pretty settled I can focus on making her happy here too.

Guest Tralaah

U

We both cant wait, but she is more apprehensive about leaving the UK as this was my dream long before I met her.

I think arriving first has helped in some ways as it allowed me to adjust to work and a new routine without having to worry about her at the same time. Now im pretty settled I can focus on making her happy here too.

I think that makes sense, I was here three months before Paul arrived, at least she won't feel too lost if you already have some idea about life here. I hope she likes it!

Ah bless you. Yeah it must be hard but I guess Paul's right, one day at a time & see what happens. Fingers crossed for you though :) if you ever need a chat, some company or a drink, you are more than welcome to give me a shout if you like.

Ah man, a 6-house-village! that's tiny :) he he. bet melbourne is a huge shock then!! Hopefully you didn't get too lost on Sunday! x

Archived