Moving to Geelong

dawnmc

Help any ideas??

We're hoping to move to Geelong in mid september and we are looking for a short term furnished let (about a month to find somewhere more permanent) don't really want to waste lots of money on a holiday home.. needs to have 2 bedrooms for 2 adults and 1 child. Maybe around the great ocean road.

Thanks Dawn

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Help any ideas??

We're hoping to move to Geelong in mid september and we are looking for a short term furnished let (about a month to find somewhere more permanent) don't really want to waste lots of money on a holiday home.. needs to have 2 bedrooms for 2 adults and 1 child. Maybe around the great ocean road.

Thanks Dawn

Sorry to jump on your thread but us to. Moving to Geelong about October

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Dawn

You will find furnished rentals get booked up quickly and there aren't too many in Geelong to start, so I hope you manage to find something.

We do have one 3 bed property on our site that is close to Geelong you can see it here in Queenscliff Moving to Melbourne: Accommodation Available in Melbourne it is 100 metres to the beach and 5 minutes to the shops and cafes. We are hoping to add another one in the next few months, but this will probably not help you for September.

You also have the quest apartments in Geelong: Quest Geelong Serviced Apartments Geelong they are around $255 per night or $1785 per week.

The Best Western has apartments (not great) but they only have availability from 1st September until the 26th September and they are $210 per night or $1470 Bestwestern.com, the World's Largest Hotel Chain.

The Chifley do apartments and they are $174 per night but this is for a 1 bed $1218

Some PIO members have used another self catering apartment in Geelong so hopefully they will give you more options soon.

Kate

Hi weve been here in Geelong about 2 weeks now. The first 2 weeks we had a holiday rental in Portarlington . It was a 3 bed , fully furnished . Everything you needed was there. It was $450 a week , not bad considering unfurnished rentals in Geelong range from about $300+ per week. Portarlington is lovely . Quite a few people travel from there to work in Geelong ( its about 30km away). If i can help you with any info just ask away . Ed,Jo + kids

Hi Ed & Jo,

Thanx for your reply...We have lots of questions but wont bombard you with them all...just a couple if u don't mind?

First can I ask how you found that property cos it sounds like a good price? also have you noticed any horrible areas around there that maybe we should avoid??!

Cheers Dawn

We just googled holiday rentals near Geelong. But if you go on realestate.com.au and look down the left hand side of the page, you will see related links just click on the holiday rentals. We stayed at 1/35 Langdon Street , Portarlington. If you're on about rough areas in Geelong , there are places that look untidy but these are probably the older areas ( cheaper rentals tho $220+) . We've never been around them at night time ( we need to drive around in daylight so we know where we're going lol) so i can't really comment. We are in Highton and the kids go to Belmont High School. Just ask away if we can help , we will. I know how hard it is with no insight , we had to plod along finding our feet as we went. You definately will have to hire a car though until you buy one . We used a company from Melbourne airport and had the car for 2 weeks , $44 per day for a huge 6 seater stationwagon. Ed,Jo + kids

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dawn, We moved to Geelong from the Uk a year ago this week. When we arrived we rented a holiday chalet from this place Riverglen Holiday Park it was well priced, basic, but clean and very friendly. A holiday place is probably your best best for a short time as rentals seem to want longer termed tenants and it's a pain getting a rental property quickly.

If there is anything else you want to know, ask away - as I said we have only been here a year but love it, have bought a house, car and dog, got 3 kids settled in school and are loving life.

Good luck.

Jo

• 2 months later...
Guest miranda baine

Hi, we are currently living in Ballarat but the kids have not settled here very well. We emmigrated from Scotland 5 weeks ago, we have managed to secure a rental property in Highton and are moving to the area in the next couple of weeks. I'm saying kids, it's actually one child and two stroppy tennagers, 19,16 and 9 years old. Have managed to get the wee one a place at Bellair primary. Anyway just want to ask what the area is like to live in etc and if you have settled there.

Miranda and gang

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi, we are currently living in Ballarat but the kids have not settled here very well. We emmigrated from Scotland 5 weeks ago, we have managed to secure a rental property in Highton and are moving to the area in the next couple of weeks. I'm saying kids, it's actually one child and two stroppy tennagers, 19,16 and 9 years old. Have managed to get the wee one a place at Bellair primary. Anyway just want to ask what the area is like to live in etc and if you have settled there.

Miranda and gang

Hi Miranda

Just wanted to say hi and welcome to PIO.

Kate

Guest miranda baine
Hi Miranda

Just wanted to say hi and welcome to PIO.

Kate

Hi Kate, thanks for your reply, are you living in Melbourne? How is it?

miranda

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Miranda, Hope you are enjoying it here? We are just running out of time in our 5wk rental in ocean grove but so far cant manage to get a permanent rental here or clifton springs..put in applications but always get turned down (maybe cos we're english?) dont really wanna live in Geelong itself cos too busy. My husband had to work a wk after we got here so me and my 10 yr old are stuck here and sad to say but we're actually getting bored of the beach everyday but nothing else to do! cant get him in school till we know where we r gonna live so cant get a job either??!! sorry feeling bit sad lost and lonely at the mo so shall just wish you luck and say good bye for now . Dawn x

Hi Miranda, Hope you are enjoying it here? We are just running out of time in our 5wk rental in ocean grove but so far cant manage to get a permanent rental here or clifton springs..put in applications but always get turned down (maybe cos we're english?) dont really wanna live in Geelong itself cos too busy. My husband had to work a wk after we got here so me and my 10 yr old are stuck here and sad to say but we're actually getting bored of the beach everyday but nothing else to do! cant get him in school till we know where we r gonna live so cant get a job either??!! sorry feeling bit sad lost and lonely at the mo so shall just wish you luck and say good bye for now . Dawn x

Hi we have been here 6 weeks now and are living in Highton, our daughter lives in Grovedale near Waurn Ponds and we are loving it. There appears to be everything we need within a 15 min drive, i was lucky and found work with 1st company i applied to in North Geelong which is about 12 min drive, beach about 15 mins, shops are everywhere lol.

HI there,

I am sure if you use the search engine, you will find quite a few leads esp on areas etc.

Two areas to avoid are Corio and Norlane. And most of whittington

We live in Belmont (highton side) and it is nice, highton to is lovely, but a little bit more pricey.

Good luck with your move

Guest miranda baine

Hi Dawn,

Sorry i never got back to you last night but my computer is playing up, one minute the internet is connected and the next it's not. Have you tried the Highton area for a rental, or Belmont these are nice area's or do you need to be in Ocean Grove. I'm not actually sure how far Ocean Grove is from Highton but I don't think it's far. Get back to me if you need a bit of morale support and we could meet up. I don't start work till the 30 November which is a week on Monday I think.

I know how you feel when you said you feel lonely and isolated, my husband started work on Monday after 6 weeks off and I really felt it, have been quite emotional myself. Your son is the same age as mine, he will be 10 in December, this is his second school in 6 weeks so he is feeling it a bit at having to make new friends all over again. I dropped my son off at school yesterday and got a telling off for parking the wrong way in the street, apparently you have to park the way the traffic is going but I didn't know that lol:mad: Keep your chin up, Miranda x :biggrin:

Hi Miranda, Hope you are enjoying it here? We are just running out of time in our 5wk rental in ocean grove but so far cant manage to get a permanent rental here or clifton springs..put in applications but always get turned down (maybe cos we're english?) dont really wanna live in Geelong itself cos too busy. My husband had to work a wk after we got here so me and my 10 yr old are stuck here and sad to say but we're actually getting bored of the beach everyday but nothing else to do! cant get him in school till we know where we r gonna live so cant get a job either??!! sorry feeling bit sad lost and lonely at the mo so shall just wish you luck and say good bye for now . Dawn x[/quote

Hi, just reading ur post. We have just moved to ocean grove 4 weeks ago from scotland! Stayed in Collindina caravan park for 2 weeks and now got a rental house here. Hubby still looking for work - he is a plumber - getting to stage where he is getting a bit worried that he hasnt got a job yet. We have 3 kids 8, 4, and 2yrs. I have some family her so hasnt been too bad so far but i know the homesickness will creep in soon especially when hubby goes back to work. My eldest who is 8 goes to surfside primary school. He has settled in ok although some boys have teased him because of his accent but that will soon pass i hope.

Good luck with finding a house i think we were just lucky as competition is fierce. It was good to hear that we are not the only ones moving to this area. Feel free to send me a message.

Lorna Anderson :smile:

Guest junan70

Despite living on the Poms In Adelaide forum for 2 years, I guess I need to spend some time on this. The work situation in Adelaide is dire, so my agent has suggested I look at Geelong as I want to eventually settle in Melbourne anyway. I've done a quick search on realeastate.com but sheesh, you're right about their not being many properties around.

I guess Highton and the surrounds are where I should be looking? Also, is the public transport so bad that I'd need a car?? trying to avoid that initial expense if possible.

Cheers for the advice

Jo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ya sorry for the delay in replying. I cant really help on the public transport front because we use the car but do know theres not alot of it about in ocean grove! As for Geelong it seems quite busy and think it the public transport would be fine, trains and buses.

Good luck Dawn

Guest miranda baine
Hi Miranda, Hope you are enjoying it here? We are just running out of time in our 5wk rental in ocean grove but so far cant manage to get a permanent rental here or clifton springs..put in applications but always get turned down (maybe cos we're english?) dont really wanna live in Geelong itself cos too busy. My husband had to work a wk after we got here so me and my 10 yr old are stuck here and sad to say but we're actually getting bored of the beach everyday but nothing else to do! cant get him in school till we know where we r gonna live so cant get a job either??!! sorry feeling bit sad lost and lonely at the mo so shall just wish you luck and say good bye for now . Dawn x[/quote

Hi, just reading ur post. We have just moved to ocean grove 4 weeks ago from scotland! Stayed in Collindina caravan park for 2 weeks and now got a rental house here. Hubby still looking for work - he is a plumber - getting to stage where he is getting a bit worried that he hasnt got a job yet. We have 3 kids 8, 4, and 2yrs. I have some family her so hasnt been too bad so far but i know the homesickness will creep in soon especially when hubby goes back to work. My eldest who is 8 goes to surfside primary school. He has settled in ok although some boys have teased him because of his accent but that will soon pass i hope.

Good luck with finding a house i think we were just lucky as competition is fierce. It was good to hear that we are not the only ones moving to this area. Feel free to send me a message.

Lorna Anderson :smile:

Hi Lorna,

Just a quick message to see how you are settling, can't say i have felt homesick yet but i'm sure it will come, probably at Christmas time as i usually have all my family over for dinner. My brother is flying out on Monday for a years working/holiday visa, so that will be good to see him. I have 3 kids aswell 2 teenagers who are miserable and want to go back to Scotland, I am worried about that as obviously i would like them to stay here but i think it is something they are going to have to do to get it out of their system. Anyway better get off now, if you have the time would be nice to hear how your finding it. Miranda x

• 3 weeks later...
It may have been the time of night, or the fact that it was a Saturday night, but there were nothing but low life people.

So what are lowlife people? how do you determine them? Maybe I would think you a lowlife if i saw you, but then again I would never make such generalisation.

If you base your opinions on a few hours here then you really have not added any value to this thread.

Have you opinion sure, but don't be nasty about it. I am sure every town, has a few as you would call them "lowlifes", but that does not make a whole town a bad place to live.

In fact it is the complete opposite which you would find for yourself if you bothered to look around some further.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guest36762

Hi Dawn

did you make it to Geelong? If so, where are you based?

we're (me, wife and 2 boys (1,3) in herne hill which is quite sleepy but pleasant.

It would be good to hear from you

Dom

Archived