Bridging Visa B Queries

Guest milkdogg3000

Guest milkdogg3000

Hi all.

My 2nd working holiday visa has just expired and I'm waiting for another visa to be granted so at the moment I'm on a Bridging Visa A.

I want to go to the UK at the end of September for a wedding. I understand that to do this I need to have a Bridging Visa B.

I don't know whether to get tickets and BVB sorted now or not. The way I see it there are 4 possible decisions that DIAC can make about my new visa application:

• grant it before I go,
  • grant it after i get back,
  • refuse it before I go,
  • refuse it after i get back.

If the decision comes after I get back, whether it's granted or not, I'm going to need a BVB to travel. If it's granted before I go I won't need a BVB. If it's refused before I go I won't need a BVB or a return ticket!

So when the decision comes dictates whether I need a BVB and what kind of ticket to get. If I leave it til the last minute in the hope that DIAC have a decision before I go I risk not having enough time to sort out a BVB if I do in fact need one.

So I need to know...

1. How long does it take to be issued with a BVB?

Also the answers to these would be pretty useful...!

2. Is a wedding a good enough reason to leave Oz? (It's my ex-stepbrother's wedding).

3. If a wedding is a good enough reason, how long would I be allowed to stay in UK for? (Obviously the wedding is only one day and I would want to go for a few weeks).

4. Would I go straight back to a Bridging Visa A when I return to Oz?

5. What happens to my application whilst I'm away? Does the process go on hold til I get back or does it continue in my absence?

What would you do?! Sort it all now or wait?

Hope someone can help.

Cheers.

Guest antonn

wedding is fine, just need some prove. time wise better ring or visit one of the office and ask them.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Milldogg

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

Which further visa have you applied for, please? What is the subclass number and when was the visa application lodged?

1. How long does it take to be issued with a BVB?

In an emergency they can be considered and granted within an hour. Your situation is not an emergency but Antonn is right. Go and speak with DIAC reasonably soon and explain your timing concerns to them. Then follow the advice they will provide.

2. Is a wedding a good enough reason to leave Oz? (It's my ex-stepbrother's wedding).

Yes it is obviously a very important family event in your family or you would not have been invited to attend. Your entire family (particularly the bride and groom) would be deeply disappointed if you cannot be with them. You cannot let them down. Antonn is right again.

3. If a wedding is a good enough reason, how long would I be allowed to stay in UK for? (Obviously the wedding is only one day and I would want to go for a few weeks).

88 days is the absolute maximum time that a BVB holder can spend outside Oz in any one year. Aim to return after 2 months, I suggest, just in case of a subsequent family bereavement in the UK. I know that sounds ghoulish but it could happen.

4. Would I go straight back to a Bridging Visa A when I return to Oz?

No, you would remain on the Bridging Visa B.

5. What happens to my application whilst I'm away? Does the process go on hold til I get back or does it continue in my absence?

The processing will continue as normal but if it is a visa that can only be granted whilst you are actually in Oz then DIAC will not grant it until after you return to Oz. Make sure that DIAC know your planned intinerary and give them a postal address, e-mail address and phone number for yourself for the period when you will be in the UK so that they can contact you if they need to. Notify them in writing.

If I leave it til the last minute in the hope that DIAC have a decision before I go I risk not having enough time to sort out a BVB if I do in fact need one.

Don't do this. You will merely get into a mess. Organise the BVB in plenty of time. The your main visa is ready before you leave Oz it will be granted before you leave Oz. When it is granted it will automatically cancel any other visa which you may hold at the time. So don't take things to the wire with the BVB when you don't need to.

The flights leaving Oz for the UK are half empty at present, hence the airlines have started a price war. Aim to travel mid week and you should be able to get a standby seat with one of the airlines with no probs.

Consider Air Asia. www.airasia.com I don't think they offer a discount for a return booking anyway but check it out.

Cheers

Gill

• 1 month later...
Guest aletta
wedding is fine, just need some prove. time wise better ring or visit one of the office and ask them.

what is a good valid proof for a wedding? is a wedding invitation enough? or you need to prove that the person is your relative etc as well (in my case, he's my cousin and i think it would be fairly complicated to prove this) thx

• 2 years later...

Archived