where to live in the northern beaches?

Guest KMT

Hi, don't know if anyone can help? My husband and I are moving to Oz in september - he has a job in Hornsby nsw - we are looking at living in the northrn beaches area or somewhere nice not too far away from the sea and hornsby? Any ideas? We have seen some really nice places in newport, bilgola, avalon, narrabeen and collaroy?! I have to get a job somewhere around using public transport too and wondered whet the bus services were like in the northern beaches area?

Hi, don't know if anyone can help? My husband and I are moving to Oz in september - he has a job in Hornsby nsw - we are looking at living in the northrn beaches area or somewhere nice not too far away from the sea and hornsby? Any ideas? We have seen some really nice places in newport, bilgola, avalon, narrabeen and collaroy?! I have to get a job somewhere around using public transport too and wondered whet the bus services were like in the northern beaches area?

Hi there,I think any of those places will be nice i live close to narrabeen and collory and both very close to transport,and the bus services are very reliable.:smile:

Hi! Thanks very much for the reply! Do you know if buses go over to hornsby way or do you have to go back down to North Sydney and back up again?

Guest PosmMagic

The further towards PalmBeach you go the harder the commute will be. They don't call it the Insular Penninsular for nothing! Bus services are slow as the roads are narrow and congested.

Maybe start by looking at the bus timetables and working out how far/long your would be willing to travel and work back from there?

• 1 month later...
Guest PaddyO
Hi! Thanks very much for the reply! Do you know if buses go over to hornsby way or do you have to go back down to North Sydney and back up again?

Use this link to plan what your trip might involve. Use your workplace obviously then experiment with various locations.

131500 Transport Infoline - New Trip Plan

Using the same website get the link to Sydney Buses and you can get a plan of the bus routes.

In my opinion I would go no further north than Mona Vale if you need to rely on the buses.

• 2 years later...
Guest lconnartyduncan

Hi we just arrived, my husband got a job transfer in Frenchs Forest, we had looked at Hornsby for houses before coming over and you get a lot more for your money out there than on the northern beaches but we have setteled for a place in Allambie Heights short commute to husbands work 5-10 and not to far from the beach 10-15. Its not that far to travel around in a car out of rush traffic but it does slow right down during business communiting hours 7am-10am and from 2.30-7pm as schools make the roads busy to.... we've found. Epping is 30 minutes away and good area, schools train line, we found a little cheaper house prices as a bit further to the beaches but 30 minutes to hornsby. You can see the train lines to on maps. if you are on the beaches it is buses or car...nice city ferry in manly. try st ives to as it is short drive to train and then into CBD (central business distric and not to far to hornsby...depends on the commute your OH is prepared to do. Only been here 2 weeks but been drivng all around these areas for 14 days solid and months of research before we came. It is lovely here, even in autumn .. i will be looking for work at some point to so had to consider similar. Hope this helps a bit and good luck

The easiest way from the beaches to Hornsby seems to be to catch the bus to Chatswood and then train from there. Won't be that quick, mind. There are a few buses that go from Mona Vale up Mona Vale rd, you can connect with the train at Pymble then.

As per the above post, check it out on The NSW Transport Line website

Budget will be the major consideration - Try Killarney heights, Allambie, French's Forest, Belrose, Davidson for better value (because they aren't right on the sea - being very handy for the beach pushes up prices). Bilgola and (esp, IMO) Avalon and Newport pretty well priced for proper "beach" suburbs, the problem here is that commuting/transport gets a bit slow. Depends on where the balance lies for you.

Personally? You go to work every day, and live in your suburb every day. So a nice suburb and an easy commute is the most important thing for me. You go to the beach once a week or less (unless you live right by it, or love it to pieces). So being 20-30 minutes drive from the beach is no great problem. Of course it would be nice to be right on the beach AND a nice place to live with good community AND convenient for major employment centres and transport, and such places do exist in Sydney - predictably, they cost $loads

Good luck!

Archived