Calling all ACT PIO'ers!

Guest Squem

Guest Squem
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forums but the Canberra idea is great! Thanks for all the info and tips, they have been a great help.

I haven't worked out how to put all the info at the bottom of my posts but here's the basic info, vetassess 16/3/09 ACT SS 18/6/09, Visa applied 18/06/09......

It is me and my husband going, but it is my job as a recreation officer that we are going over on, is anyone else a recreation officer as employment tips would be great?

We are hoping to be going over in March 2010 as i read that christmas/ new year is not a good time, which is what we originally planned.

Look forward to making a few friends and meeting up when we are there!

Now for the questions.......i posted these on another forum but i am not sure if it was the correct one so here goes again (apologies if you have already read this). I am epileptic and my medical is "ongoing" but my other half has been "finalised" so does that mean we have a case officer?? Also any idea of timescales i can expect before i will get my medical result?

xx:jiggy:

Hey Stelgray,

WELCOME TO PIO!! and to my little thread hehe! I'm sorry i can't answer your query as i have no idea what the answer is! Best idea would be to post it in the migration forum section and someone like gollywobbler will hopefully come along and answer it for you :yes:

Good Luck with everything and keep us all posted!!

Emma x

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Squem
Hi Guys - I've only just come online, as I'm badly hungover today (went to bed at 7am I think!). Myself and hubby stayed up all night and went on the lash here at home - 2 btles of red wine all to myself!!!! Anyway, won't be doing that for a while to come (famous last words!!!). Anyway, the viewing went great - the lady that came to see the house was not expecting to like it, according to our estate agent, but she was pleasantly surprised by it's presentation and size and she loves it! She has sold her house and her partner has his on the market, so she's going to give it a few weeks to give his a chance to sell, and she has indicated that she will probably make an offer. She asked the estate agent to keep her informed of any developments relating to the sale of our house. Not set in stone of course, but we're keeping our fingers crossed, as needless to say, it was a well-awaited boost after weeks of nothing (thus the late night and early morning hangover!!!).

I'll keep ye posted if there's any new developments. Have a big full-page ad going in the paper next week, so hopefully that will generate more interest as well. I'm off now to nurse the sick head. Talk soon.

Oh wow that sounds positive :) Lets hope she makes an offer or at least that the new ad will work! :cute:

Keep us updated!

Emma!

ps: how's the hangover haha

Guest destinationoz

Hi all ACT folk -

It all seems to be happening out there!

Massive congrats JacquiB - I'm really pleased for you - must be a brilliant feeling!

Brilliant news about the house Samfire - hopefully it will come off = I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Not much news our end as went to submit visa application and found we all needed to have 2 years on our passport's and our son's passport only had 22 months left so we are waiting for his new passport to come back the we can get the visa application in online ....

Having read your posts I think I'd better keep on sorting out all our stuff as it seems to take much longer than you think ....

Keep us updated everyone - its all very exciting!!

well done for this thread Squem!

Guest stelgray

Thanks for the welcome!

I got an answer to my questions about the medical so for future ref if anyone else is in the same boat it takes about 2 weeks for the medical panel to come to a decision, which is any day now so i am quietly going crazy!!!!

Will keep you updated:twitcy:

Guest Samfire
Hi all ACT folk -

It all seems to be happening out there!

Massive congrats JacquiB - I'm really pleased for you - must be a brilliant feeling!

Brilliant news about the house Samfire - hopefully it will come off = I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Not much news our end as went to submit visa application and found we all needed to have 2 years on our passport's and our son's passport only had 22 months left so we are waiting for his new passport to come back the we can get the visa application in online ....

Having read your posts I think I'd better keep on sorting out all our stuff as it seems to take much longer than you think ....

Keep us updated everyone - its all very exciting!!

well done for this thread Squem!

Doh! There's always something to put a spanner in the works! Anyway, its just another bit of waiting Desty - nothing you haven't done before!:goofy:

Have another viewing at 6pm this evening (with our other e/a whom I don't like very much) - the people are looking at another house in our locality too, which is 25k less than ours! Gotta get scrubbing, so I'll chat to you all later!:yes:

Doh! There's always something to put a spanner in the works! Anyway, its just another bit of waiting Desty - nothing you haven't done before!:goofy:

Have another viewing at 6pm this evening (with our other e/a whom I don't like very much) - the people are looking at another house in our locality too, which is 25k less than ours! Gotta get scrubbing, so I'll chat to you all later!:yes:

Good luck with the house sale.

Guest Samfire

Thanks Nik - it's hard to know how it went really - the e/a can't really tell you unless the viewer states outright that they are keen on the house, and this lady kept her cards close to her chest. However, the e/a did say that our house was "immaculately presented" (to use her words, not mine) and that the lady did acknowledge this much. E/a got the impression that she liked both houses - she said that she would be back to view the home/s she was interested in with her husband, so now we wait .... and possibly have to do it all again!!

Guest bradnjules

Hi Emma!

We're going to Canberra too! My OH's brother has been living out there for about 7 years now and he loves it! We are going on a SS & doing our meds next thursday, then hopefully we'll have our visa's before 20th Nov as we booked flights to go and validate. Crazy eh!!

Anyway we live in Bucks too, Newport Pagnell to be precise, whereabouts are you escaping from!!

Guest Squem

Hi BradnJules,

Wow what a small world.... we are escaping from Newport Pagnell too!! :-O

Will drop you a PM to find out exactly where in Newport you are from... be funny if its the same estate!!

Good luck with your meds!

Emma

Guest wossall

Hi Everyone

We are also going to Canberra, Myself Lynne (41) My OH Steve (38) and Little Boy Kyle (6), we had our medicals done on Thursday 6/8/09 so we are just waiting for Police Checks to come back. We have also just scanned Form 80 over last night as well, its all go.

We are hoping to go on holiday to activate and have a look round any advice on where to stay will be appreciated.

Thanks

Lynne

Guest destinationoz

Hey Samfire! How's it going?

How did the house viewing go?

I've done our application online today just need to wait for a little more info before i can submit it !!

good luck with everything!

Desty

Guest destinationoz
Hi Everyone

We are also going to Canberra, Myself Lynne (41) My OH Steve (38) and Little Boy Kyle (6), we had our medicals done on Thursday 6/8/09 so we are just waiting for Police Checks to come back. We have also just scanned Form 80 over last night as well, its all go.

We are hoping to go on holiday to activate and have a look round any advice on where to stay will be appreciated.

Thanks

Lynne

Hi Wossall

I was interested in reading your post - I'm from lancashire originally and noted you are there .... we're similar age (42!) and our little boys are both 6! so if you get there before us - which I guess you will - i'd be really interested in hearing more about places to live and schools for 6 year olds!

Enjoy your holidays to activate - can't give any advice I'm afraid as we've never been to canberra - although can't wait to go now!!! Enjoy and let us all know how it goes ...

Cheers!

Desty

Guest wossall

Hi Desty

Nice to speak to someone else in area who is going to Canberra as everyone else I know is either going to Adelaide or Perth or Victoria.

Will keep you informed when we are going, when are you hoping to go.

Will let you know any infor I get, Good luck with your application.

Thanks

Lynne

Guest boothy

Hi everyone

So great to see it all happening for us ACT'ers. Just a quick update from me we had the meds on 22nd July and police checks uploaded so just waiting now for our CO to check them - hopefully not long now. Just the big task of sorting the house.

So when is everyone hoping to get to Canberra?

Sam

Guest destinationoz

Hi Lynn and others!

It is great to hear from others going to Canberra - it makes it slightly less daunting knowing we can meet others over there!

We are submitting our application this week and hope to know something by early next year. Then ofcourse there's the very difficult task of selling the house so we hope to move about this time next year!

Good luck everyone!

speak soon

Guest Samfire
Hey Samfire! How's it going?

How did the house viewing go?

I've done our application online today just need to wait for a little more info before i can submit it !!

good luck with everything!

Desty

Hello there Desty!!!! Sounds like it's all go for you - so exciting when you're putting in for the Big application!!!! Anyways, let us know when you've lodged it!

About our viewing? Usual S*ite!!! According to the e/a, she liked the house (had 3 kids with her and no husband - happened to be at work!) and she liked the other house too from what our e/a could gather (can't get bloody info from the e/a's ever - they're like politicians!). E/a is expecting her to re-book for second viewing if she's interested, so hubby can have a look at it!!!! No phone call by close of business today, so either she isn't going to bother getting back, or we'll get a surprise second viewing request next week!!! I'm not holding my breath though! Would be great if they put an offer in, as they have sold already and have the money up front.

Had a very "low" couple of days! Finding it hard to hold it all together now, especially under the added pressure of trying to flog all our possessions in a recession!!! I look like an "old woman" who's haggard lately, and I'm EATING everything in sight (not a good thing for me - already blown up from medications!), so it's safe to say I'm pretty miserable. Bet your sorry now you asked!!!

Anyway, moan over and thanks for putting up with me everyone!!!!:hug:

I'll keep you all posted if we have any developments. Been thinking of all of you lately - we're all going through the same Sh*t, and it's nice to be able to chat to others who understand here on PIO!

Keep the faith!!:notworthy:

Guest Squem
Hello there Desty!!!! Sounds like it's all go for you - so exciting when you're putting in for the Big application!!!! Anyways, let us know when you've lodged it!

About our viewing? Usual S*ite!!! According to the e/a, she liked the house (had 3 kids with her and no husband - happened to be at work!) and she liked the other house too from what our e/a could gather (can't get bloody info from the e/a's ever - they're like politicians!). E/a is expecting her to re-book for second viewing if she's interested, so hubby can have a look at it!!!! No phone call by close of business today, so either she isn't going to bother getting back, or we'll get a surprise second viewing request next week!!! I'm not holding my breath though! Would be great if they put an offer in, as they have sold already and have the money up front.

Had a very "low" couple of days! Finding it hard to hold it all together now, especially under the added pressure of trying to flog all our possessions in a recession!!! I look like an "old woman" who's haggard lately, and I'm EATING everything in sight (not a good thing for me - already blown up from medications!), so it's safe to say I'm pretty miserable. Bet your sorry now you asked!!!

Anyway, moan over and thanks for putting up with me everyone!!!!

I'll keep you all posted if we have any developments. Been thinking of all of you lately - we're all going through the same Sh*t, and it's nice to be able to chat to others who understand here on PIO!

Keep the faith!!:notworthy:

Ahhh Samfire... :hug: ... keep smiling!!

It will all come together soon! We are currently still waiting for the house to sell... i swear its one hurdle after another with emigrating!! But like you say we are all going through it... this site has been a godsend throughout this whole process!!

Feel free to have a rant on this post whenever you feel like it... :)

Good Luck with it all though and keep smiling pleaseeeeee :)

Emma x

Guest Samfire

Thanks Squemma Emma!!! It is such a great thread, I have to say. Just cracking that I didn't think of it first :laugh: You've cheered me up now, bless you!!!

xxxxxx:hug:xxxxxx

Guest Squem
Thanks Squemma Emma!!! It is such a great thread, I have to say. Just cracking that I didn't think of it first :laugh: You've cheered me up now, bless you!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Ahhhh Samfire... you are welcome!!

But seriously... we are all going through it so if you ever need to rant i'm sure loads of us will listen/read ;-) plus there are days when I need to rant so i'll be on here haha!!

Glad this thread is helping out... who would of thought there were so many people heading to Canberra.. it's great!

Have a great weekend

Emma :wubclub:

Guest destinationoz

Hi Samfire

I'm really sorry to hear you're going thru it - I imagine it must be so stressfull at this point but don't give up hope - imagine - in a few months when you're in Oz and everything is getting on track - you'll wish you'd not worried so much ... I know its easy for me to say but think of where you are at ... You've defo got your visa and you life is defo going to change!!! You ARE moving to oz!!

We moved just a year ago (wish i knew then we were gonna try and move to OZ - but never mind!) but because of that I know how difficult e/a can be - which is ridiculous really as we are paying their fees!! Because of that - in my humble opinion, and if you can muster up the energy - think thru what you want them to do and call them up and remind them, professionally and politely, but firmly, that you have a contract with them and you are expecting more, you want A,B and C and expect it to be done by (certain time)...

A, B, C could be things like:

- ask the e/a to put an article or big advert in the local paper on the house sale day ...

- ask them to make your house "stand out" on rightmove ...

- arrange an open day and ask them to invite/write to/ring all buyers on their mailing list and tell them about the open day ... have coffee on the pot and a few nibbles for those that come ... -

JUST ideas that's all ....

In relation to eating lots - don't worry about that now! if you need to eat - EAT! Once you do get to Oz and that outdoor life - you can loose the extra pounds then!!

Hope I don't sound cheeky - just concerned to hear you're feeling low...

ENJOY it as much as you can

take care

Desty xx

Guest destinationoz

Hey Squem! thanks for this thread - its great linking with all the canberra folk!

well done and thanks!

Guest Samfire
Hi Samfire

I'm really sorry to hear you're going thru it - I imagine it must be so stressfull at this point but don't give up hope - imagine - in a few months when you're in Oz and everything is getting on track - you'll wish you'd not worried so much ... I know its easy for me to say but think of where you are at ... You've defo got your visa and you life is defo going to change!!! You ARE moving to oz!!

We moved just a year ago (wish i knew then we were gonna try and move to OZ - but never mind!) but because of that I know how difficult e/a can be - which is ridiculous really as we are paying their fees!! Because of that - in my humble opinion, and if you can muster up the energy - think thru what you want them to do and call them up and remind them, professionally and politely, but firmly, that you have a contract with them and you are expecting more, you want A,B and C and expect it to be done by (certain time)...

A, B, C could be things like:

- ask the e/a to put an article or big advert in the local paper on the house sale day ...

- ask them to make your house "stand out" on rightmove ...

- arrange an open day and ask them to invite/write to/ring all buyers on their mailing list and tell them about the open day ... have coffee on the pot and a few nibbles for those that come ... -

JUST ideas that's all ....

In relation to eating lots - don't worry about that now! if you need to eat - EAT! Once you do get to Oz and that outdoor life - you can loose the extra pounds then!!

Hope I don't sound cheeky - just concerned to hear you're feeling low...

ENJOY it as much as you can

take care

Desty xx

Hi Desty (and Squemma Emma of course, and everyone else here on ACT PIOer's). Thanks for all your thoughts and encouragement! Yeah, I really do have 1 really Sh*tty e/a and 1 really good 1. We'll really have to put the ultimatums to them now! Seven weeks and counting!

Anyway, we went to the coast today to get away from it all and just chill out! It was a really nice day in County Clare today, and the kids went swimming and everything, so we're all feeling a bit rejuvenated at the minute - badly needed!!!!

You're right about the weather in Oz and the outdoor lifestyle - that's my plan - loose the pounds!!! Have two articles coming out in next weeks papers on Wednesday and Saturday next, so hopefully this will kick start things for us again with the house sale. Will chat to you all again in the next few days,

Take care,:notworthy:

Guest mikka711

Hiya,

sooooooooooooo glad I've found this forum with folks who are heading for Canberra,was starting to think everyone was heading for the coast! There's me, DH, and our three children (11,9 and 5) and we're hoping to move to Canberra in the next few months. Waiting to hear back on SS at the mo. Great to see such a friendly, encouraging forum - good luck everyone

Guest destinationoz

Hi all!!

Hi Samfire - glad to hear you've rejuvanted and back on track - i was thinking about you the day after - it must be so stressful - good luck with it all - let us know how it goes...

have you found somewhere to live/stay when you get there?

Hi Mikka

Welcome! Fantastic news that you're another for canberra ... Good luck with the application and keep us informed.

Archived