Calling all ACT PIO'ers!

Guest Squem

Guest Squem

YAY congrats Samfire!

All go go go from this point on... good luck selling your stuff.... I've started selling some bits on ebay its bluming hard work haha! x

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 101126

Hi Samfire,

Congratulations, you are on your way, lucky you, hopefully we will not be long after you. Good luck

Guest destinationoz

Great to hear from you samfire - I've been missing ya posts! .... however I'm excited about reading the new ones when you get there! fantastic news - flights booked - that is excellent!! have you managed to sell your house then? I know you must be busy now so if don't catch you before you go - Have a safe journey!!!! Enjoy every moment when you get there and see you in canberra!

By the way - massive respect to you on your note above about ancestry - I agree with every word you say ...

Hi fellow Canberran wanabees! Just an update on our plans - we booked our flights!!!!! Such a big step - weird feeling, but we're definitely off on Sunday, 27th September. Flying out from Dublin at 10pm with Etihad Airlines. Stopping in Abu Dabi for 3 hours and then it's onto Sydney direct. Will arrive at 6.20am Wednesday morning local time. Flights were very reasonable - €2,289 for 4 of us one way! Starting to sell off most of our stuff that we're not shipping. It's all go - I'm mentally exhausted! Will keep you all posted.

Hope you got an onward flight to Canberra - you wont want to be driving down from Sydney.

Guest Samfire
Great to hear from you samfire - I've been missing ya posts! .... however I'm excited about reading the new ones when you get there! fantastic news - flights booked - that is excellent!! have you managed to sell your house then? I know you must be busy now so if don't catch you before you go - Have a safe journey!!!! Enjoy every moment when you get there and see you in canberra!

By the way - massive respect to you on your note above about ancestry - I agree with every word you say ...

Hi Desty!!! You're right about us being up the walls busy!!!!! Kinda weird when I'm not posting here every day, it's a new experience for me lately. I have my mother home from Spain and my sister has spent the weekend with us here too - been up late and the house is buzzing!!! I suppose I'll be doing quite a lot of that in the nine weeks we've left here, but mam is heading home on Tuesday, so normality should return for a little while again, which should give me a chance to really catch up with everyone here on POI. We have been having trouble with one of our estate agents - she's busy selling everyone else's house but ours!!!! Waiting till the advertising budget that we've paid for is spent, and then we're going to Fe*k her off out of it! Getting irritable when I ring to talk to her, even though a full week can pass with no word from her if I don't ring (and more importantly, no viewings). Anyway, definitely will catch up with you when I arrive in Canberra! Once I have a rental secured, I will send out word to my PIO pals when we have a chance to meet up! Can't wait. Also, thanks for your kind comments - much appreciated.

Talk soon, have to fly - they're calling me from the kitchen!!!!!!

Guest Samfire
Hope you got an onward flight to Canberra - you wont want to be driving down from Sydney.

Hi Quoll - thanks for the heads up! Actually, we've been checking out our options and have decided that train, bus and car are not an option for our commute from Sydney to Canberra, so will book a connecting flight definitely! Made an error in my last post too! We'll be arriving Tuesday, not Wednesday as my posts states. Must edit that or people will be put off using Etihad if they think there's an extra day's travel involved! :laugh:

Hi, thought I would finally get around to posting on this thread!! We are 5 hoping to head to Canberra, Rob (39), Catherine (34), Rebecca (14), Peter (11) and Christopher (5). Meds booked for next week and police checks in the post. Plodding through the mounds of paperwork and bits to be sorted at home. Sold the house - subject to contract - and apparently got to be out in three weeks or so, so may rent. Really would like to go out at Xmas as time precious with a 14 year old, also our 5 year old would start school at the same time as everyone else in Reception.

Selling our whole life in bootsales!!!!

Patiently waiting....sometimes!!!!

Catherine

+ve AIM March 09

ACT SS 17.7.09

Guest destinationoz
Hi Desty!!! You're right about us being up the walls busy!!!!! Kinda weird when I'm not posting here every day, it's a new experience for me lately. I have my mother home from Spain and my sister has spent the weekend with us here too - been up late and the house is buzzing!!! I suppose I'll be doing quite a lot of that in the nine weeks we've left here, but mam is heading home on Tuesday, so normality should return for a little while again, which should give me a chance to really catch up with everyone here on POI. We have been having trouble with one of our estate agents - she's busy selling everyone else's house but ours!!!! Waiting till the advertising budget that we've paid for is spent, and then we're going to Fe*k her off out of it! Getting irritable when I ring to talk to her, even though a full week can pass with no word from her if I don't ring (and more importantly, no viewings). Anyway, definitely will catch up with you when I arrive in Canberra! Once I have a rental secured, I will send out word to my PIO pals when we have a chance to meet up! Can't wait. Also, thanks for your kind comments - much appreciated.

Talk soon, have to fly - they're calling me from the kitchen!!!!!!

Thanks for reply - i'll let you concentrate on your move now !! ... Look forward to hearing from you in canberra while we're still back in this dump!! Safe Journey x desty

Guest Samfire
Hi, thought I would finally get around to posting on this thread!! We are 5 hoping to head to Canberra, Rob (39), Catherine (34), Rebecca (14), Peter (11) and Christopher (5). Meds booked for next week and police checks in the post. Plodding through the mounds of paperwork and bits to be sorted at home. Sold the house - subject to contract - and apparently got to be out in three weeks or so, so may rent. Really would like to go out at Xmas as time precious with a 14 year old, also our 5 year old would start school at the same time as everyone else in Reception.

Catherine

+ve AIM March 09

ACT SS 17.7.09

Congrats on the house sale - you have the hard part done! Hope the move goes smoothly. Let us know how you get on when you're landed and settled.

Guest Squem

Catherine

+ve AIM March 09

ACT SS 17.7.09

YAY another family for Canberra... numbers seem to be going up :)

Congrats on the house sale!! fingers crossed it all goes through ok! And good luck with the move!! Keep us posted!

x

Catherine

+ve AIM March 09

ACT SS 17.7.09

Christmas is not a good time to arrive in Canberra so if you have any leeway on that I would seriously consider it. If you dont have a job to come to then it isnt a good time to be looking for one. Many businesses slow right down, most people are away on holiday and also it can be a nightmare trying to find accommodation then because you will be in the rush of students, new public servants and stray military trying to enter the rental market.

It really doesnt matter when a child starts kindergarten (first year of full time school) although it does help if you want an out of area placement to get it done at that time because it gives the school some leeway if a child is in the class before census time - usually around 17 February - because they get funding for them. If you arrive after that then you are more likely to be knocked back for an out of area enrolment should you need one (that isnt to say you wont be able to negotiate one of course, if their classes arent full). Kids start and leave schools here all the time and it's very much swings and roundabouts if they start at the beginning of the year with everyone else or during a term.

The best time would probably be before end October at the latest - people are gearing up for Christmas so there would be casual work if you needed something to tide you over and there isnt quite the demand on rental properties (which I am assuming you would be wanting in the first instance). Then you have a frantic accommodation market and a depressed job market until late Feb at the earliest.

Your 14 year old wont be a problem, she will still be in HS and it doesnt get to be a real issue until she gets to College (year 11, 16yrs old)

Sounds like you are in for a frantic few months!

Guest destinationoz

Catherine

+ve AIM March 09

ACT SS 17.7.09

Well done on selling your house!!! Keep us informed of the next stages and good luck with it all!!

Hi fellow Canberran wanabees! Just an update on our plans - we booked our flights!!!!! Such a big step - weird feeling, but we're definitely off on Sunday, 27th September. Flying out from Dublin at 10pm with Etihad Airlines. Stopping in Abu Dhabi for 3 hours and then it's onto Sydney direct. Will arrive at 6.20am Tuesday morning local time. Flights were very reasonable - €2,289 for 4 of us one way! Starting to sell off most of our stuff that we're not shipping. It's all go - I'm mentally exhausted! Will keep you all posted.

Hi Samfire

Fantastic for you all, dated sorted & flights booked, hopefully this will be us as well soon & we can catch up in Canberra.

Guest Samfire
Hi Samfire

Fantastic for you all, dated sorted & flights booked, hopefully this will be us as well soon & we can catch up in Canberra.

Cheers JacquiB! Would love to catch up in Canberra! Where are your plans at currently? It's a bit daunting once the countdown begins - can't wait to go, but there's so much to do!!!!!! Stressed out coz we have a beautiful house that is very well priced, but we just can't sell it!!!!!! It's going to put a lot of pressure on us if we have to head off in September without it sold, but what can we do? I can't give it away either! Here's to praying hard that a buyer will come our way in the next 8 weeks! Best of luck with your plans and we'll definitely catch up in Canberra!:wink:

We've just heard from sponser that they've had confirmation that our visa application is now going through the system, it's a 457 so hopefully only a couple of months to go.

Good luck with finding a buyer for your house, we're lucky as in rented house so don't have worry of selling just sorting all our stuff & don't you realise how much junk you collect once you start going through it all. Good luck with everything & keep us updated.

Guest Samfire
We've just heard from sponser that they've had confirmation that our visa application is now going through the system, it's a 457 so hopefully only a couple of months to go.

Good luck with finding a buyer for your house, we're lucky as in rented house so don't have worry of selling just sorting all our stuff & don't you realise how much junk you collect once you start going through it all. Good luck with everything & keep us updated.

That's a great relief Jacqui - at least you know where it's at now! Yeah - know what you mean about hoarding of rubbish!!! Just found 6 bags of kids clothes in the attic that I had kept belonging to my eldest son!! Hist brother never got the use of them, as they had been forgotten about, and now I have to wash all of them, and pass them off to friends and charity!!!! Everytime I clean a drawer and de-clutter, I fill it up again with more sh*t when I get a viewing for the house, and it just goes on, and on, and on ..... Anyway, we'll get there in the end! I'll probably need a skip before I'm done, even though we've been trying to clear out gradually for the last few months!!!

Guest Samfire

Got news this morning that we have a viewing at 2.30pm tomorrow - our first in 2.5 weeks!!!! Sooooo excited (even though I'm wrecked from cleaning all day!!!). I have a good feeling about this one, don't know why, but I'm hoping that my instincts are right!! Fingers crossed we'll get an offer out of it that we can accept!!!!

Hi Samfire

Goodluck with the viewing fingers are crossed for you.

Our Visa's have been granted so looks like we're be heading to Canberra in 5 weeks. Can't believe how quick it is we only put appilcation in on 6th July.

Guest Squem
Hi Samfire

Our Visa's have been granted so looks like we're be heading to Canberra in 5 weeks. Can't believe how quick it is we only put appilcation in on 6th July.

YAY ... Congratulations Jacqui!!! Wahoooo!!

5 weeks... you better get moving haha! :)

Guest Squem
Got news this morning that we have a viewing at 2.30pm tomorrow - our first in 2.5 weeks!!!! Sooooo excited (even though I'm wrecked from cleaning all day!!!). I have a good feeling about this one, don't know why, but I'm hoping that my instincts are right!! Fingers crossed we'll get an offer out of it that we can accept!!!!

That's good Sam! How did it go!?

We have a few viewings at once but none of them seem to have made an offer... gutted :(

x

Guest brizziebound

hi samfire, hope all went well with the viewing today, i am sure you will let us all know how you got on

martin & nicki

Guest stelgray

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forums but the Canberra idea is great! Thanks for all the info and tips, they have been a great help.

I haven't worked out how to put all the info at the bottom of my posts but here's the basic info, vetassess 16/3/09 ACT SS 18/6/09, Visa applied 18/06/09......

It is me and my husband going, but it is my job as a recreation officer that we are going over on, is anyone else a recreation officer as employment tips would be great?

We are hoping to be going over in March 2010 as i read that christmas/ new year is not a good time, which is what we originally planned.

Look forward to making a few friends and meeting up when we are there!

Now for the questions.......i posted these on another forum but i am not sure if it was the correct one so here goes again (apologies if you have already read this). I am epileptic and my medical is "ongoing" but my other half has been "finalised" so does that mean we have a case officer?? Also any idea of timescales i can expect before i will get my medical result?

xx:jiggy:

Guest Samfire
Hi Samfire

That's fantastic news Jacqui! I thought we were quick with our 3month deadline - 5 weeks!!! Wow, that's some timescale - but it's great news!! We'll be arriving 3 weeks after you. Hope to see you there.

Guest Samfire
That's good Sam! How did it go!?

We have a few viewings at once but none of them seem to have made an offer... gutted :(

x

Hi Guys - I've only just come online, as I'm badly hungover today (went to bed at 7am I think!). Myself and hubby stayed up all night and went on the lash here at home - 2 btles of red wine all to myself!!!! Anyway, won't be doing that for a while to come (famous last words!!!). Anyway, the viewing went great - the lady that came to see the house was not expecting to like it, according to our estate agent, but she was pleasantly surprised by it's presentation and size and she loves it! She has sold her house and her partner has his on the market, so she's going to give it a few weeks to give his a chance to sell, and she has indicated that she will probably make an offer. She asked the estate agent to keep her informed of any developments relating to the sale of our house. Not set in stone of course, but we're keeping our fingers crossed, as needless to say, it was a well-awaited boost after weeks of nothing (thus the late night and early morning hangover!!!).

I'll keep ye posted if there's any new developments. Have a big full-page ad going in the paper next week, so hopefully that will generate more interest as well. I'm off now to nurse the sick head. Talk soon.

Archived