Will in Australia / UK

Guest malewis

Guest malewis

Hi

Does anyeone know if a will written in Australia can cover what I'd like done with UK assets?

We've kept a house in the UK (regretting that now!!) and have a little money in the bank to collect rent/pay bills.

My wife (a Kiwi) also has an ISA that it really wasn't worth selling when we left.

Don't know if it makes a difference, but I'm here on a 461 visa (5yr unrestricted, Kiwi spousal)

Thanks in advance for any advice

Mike

• 4 weeks later...
Guest michael.rankin12@bt

my wife and i looked into this before. we have a company that looks after our will business here in uk. he said change your will in uk to include your intentions in oz and when you are in oz you create another will to include your intentions in the uk. hope that helps a bit

I went to a solicitor in Sydney today to draft a new will to update and replace my UK one. Typical that I can't remember quite what he said about UK v NSW law. I think my UK solicitor had stated my will is covered specifically under English law.

I've got a house and assets in UK as well as Australia. I think that he was concerned that you have to apply for probate in both countries? I'd better check that.

More ? than answers sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

Its best to have specific advice and a Will in each different country where you have assets. The UK has inheritance tax that might be dealt with in a UK will but would not be in an Aus will. You can set out in the Will that you only intend for it to deal with your assets in a particular country and that you have a Will in X country too.

More important though to have powers of attorney so that you have chosen who deals with your assets and medical care if and when you can't.

Powers of attorney are legal documents that let you choose someone who can make decisions for you. They let you to choose who you trust to make decisions for you if you become unable to make decisions for yourself.

In Victoria information and free forms are here - Powers of attorney - OPA

In England, information and free forms are here - Home - Office of the Public Guardian

Archived