"A couple of Newies"

AussieAussieAussie

Hi everyone, as you can tell by the title of my thread!! Were Newies!! We are looking to apply for our visa september (Skilled Independant Visa 175), we are gathering as much info as we can at the moment, Just wondering if its a good idea to go through a Migrant Agent or go directly to Immi.gov?? Your replys would be great!! Cheers :smile:

Hi and welcome to PIO.

We have used an agent for our process but OH had to go through a skills assessment for his job (in IT), we couldnt have got through that without the help of an agent, so money well spent in our eyes as he passed and got the extra points we needed for our 175 visa.

Its a great site and you can get so much information from here to be able to do the visa yourself if you feel you want to save on the pennies, cos agents can be quite expensive.

So what area of work are you in and where you looking to be heading.

Good luck with your process.

Debbie

xxx

Guest juliemtaylor

Hi welcome to PIO also, fountain of knowledge on here... Have a word with at least one agent first - they often have a free assessment.

Julie x

Guest Natty T
Hi everyone, as you can tell by the title of my thread!! Were Newies!! We are looking to apply for our visa september (Skilled Independant Visa 175), we are gathering as much info as we can at the moment, Just wondering if its a good idea to go through a Migrant Agent or go directly to Immi.gov?? Your replys would be great!! Cheers :smile:

Hi we are using an agent, they have a free 10 min call back, Free seminars around the country and free 1 to 1's, be careful some charge as friends of ours found and they can't get in to Oz. We both work so it take the hassel out of doing everything ourselves and they are always at the end of the phone. We were going on a 175 but are now changing to a 176 as they are not proccessing many 175s. Good luck to you.

Natalie :spinny:

Guest elaina

hi,

i would look at a 176 state sponser visa, if you are not on the csl list, this seems to be the fastest route at the moment, but that is always subject to change with the diac, lol.

i think it is safer to go with an agent because they have a mountain of knowledge, and will steer you in the right direction.

hope this is useful.

elaina

Thanks so much everyone for the quick reply!! Very impressed!!

I have some friends that emigrated in 2006 and she has recommended the company she used and by all the comments i think this option is good as me and partner are full time workers as well!! No kids... It would be Partner that would be the main applicant..hes a Painter and Decorator (10 years), i work for an Insurance Broker (3 years) and currently studying a qualification in this, my occ is not listed at all but garrys (my partner) is.

I have done abit of research and found the 175 visa to be perfect but thats not good news if they are not allowing many. Why is that? Whats the 176? With the 176 are you restricted on where you go in oz?

We have been to Australia twice on a working holiday visa...mainly for garry to play cricket...i'm hoping this does not affect us as well!!

We were thinking South of Perth initially but now we are thinking Adelaide, purely because we know the area and the Housing is affordable!

We went to Oz - Oct 06 april 07 then again Oct 07 - April 08!!:jiggy:

Nat xxx

Sorry for being a pain everyone!! I have just been reading abit of info on the immi.gov website and im a little confused!! Am i right in saying that if your applying for the Visa 175 you have to be now sponsored by a employer/or state unless your occupation is on this Critical Skill List??

Nat x

Guest Natty T
Thanks so much everyone for the quick reply!! Very impressed!!

I have some friends that emigrated in 2006 and she has recommended the company she used and by all the comments i think this option is good as me and partner are full time workers as well!! No kids... It would be Partner that would be the main applicant..hes a Painter and Decorator (10 years), i work for an Insurance Broker (3 years) and currently studying a qualification in this, my occ is not listed at all but garrys (my partner) is.

I have done abit of research and found the 175 visa to be perfect but thats not good news if they are not allowing many. Why is that? Whats the 176? With the 176 are you restricted on where you go in oz?

We have been to Australia twice on a working holiday visa...mainly for garry to play cricket...i'm hoping this does not affect us as well!!

We were thinking South of Perth initially but now we are thinking Adelaide, purely because we know the area and the Housing is affordable!

We went to Oz - Oct 06 april 07 then again Oct 07 - April 08!!:jiggy:

Nat xxx

Hi Nat, this is the place to ask questions so ask away. The 176 is a state sponsorship visa, the same as a 175 but you are restricted to states that are sponsoring your trade or profession. You get the same benefits and its perm residency. Doms trade is a carpenter, we are going to Perth on a 176. I think its just Western Australia and South Australia that are sponsoring now, i know for def its W A as we are heading there. The only restriction with the 176 is you have to live there for at least 2 years then you can go where you want. As for housing if you are looking at South Perth rent ranges between $300-$450 a week for a 4 bed 2 bath house which doesn't seem bad for us as we are family of 6. Secret Harbour and Port Kenedy are suppossed to be nice. Its such a hard decision where to live, i still haven't got to grips with it yet, spent hours on here reading posts and i'm more confused now. Good luck with the search and contact me if you need anymore help,i'm learning as i go along.

Natalie xxx

Hi Natalie, thanks for the info, How is your process going? Hope its going good for you! after having a look into it and your advice, i think we will go for the Visa 176 as well, I checked, and SA do support garrys occupation so thats good news!!

The family i mentioned that emigrated in 2006 live in Mandurah, my mum recently went out to visit and she said this is a very nice area and community!! I think the housing is not very cheap though, It is a hard decision where to live, in a way working with the Visa 176 it kind of makes the decision for you!!! lol.

Im trying to get used to all the jargon on here as well!! lol

Nat x

Guest Natty T
Hi Natalie, thanks for the info, How is your process going? Hope its going good for you! after having a look into it and your advice, i think we will go for the Visa 176 as well, I checked, and SA do support garrys occupation so thats good news!!

The family i mentioned that emigrated in 2006 live in Mandurah, my mum recently went out to visit and she said this is a very nice area and community!! I think the housing is not very cheap though, It is a hard decision where to live, in a way working with the Visa 176 it kind of makes the decision for you!!! lol.

Im trying to get used to all the jargon on here as well!! lol

Nat x

Hi Nat, we are about ready to lodge our visa after Dom does his vetassess on the 23rd july.Sent off for our police checks yesterday, they last for a year so hopefully if they are processing 176 visas in 4 to 6 months we will be ok.Got most of the paper work filled out so will send that through to our agents to check everything is ok then when its lodged i can join the others on the SS waiting list. Our only problem is our youngest son has a kidney disorder which could be a problem when it comes to the medicals but the hospital would have discharged him last year if it was only one kidney but the other is slightly damaged.This doesn't affect him at the moment and shouln't through life so i'm hoping and praying we'll be ok. Keep me posted on how your going and i'll do the same. Take care Natalie xxx

• 1 month later...
Guest macfamily

Hi Nat

I've just joined this forum and I've been reading your advice to the above. I know its way past the date you were chatting with each other but your circumstances sound very much like mine! My husband is also a carpenter and we're hoping to head out in 2010. We have 3 kids but we're lucky enough to have Australian citizenship. It's so hard to know what the work situation is like out there from so far away although we devour all newspaper articles etc but it would be so good to have some contacts set up before we go. Are you going out to a job or taking a chance and hoping to find one when you get there? Have you done much research into schools for the kids? How is your visa progressing?

Guest Natty T
Hiya Natty T,

Hows your process going? Were due to hand our details over in a few weeks to our agent!! Were getting excited, we now feel like where getting the ball rolling!! I have just posted a new thread though, were a little concerned on some of the posts on here regarding Agents and whether to do it alone????

Nat x

Hiya Nat,sorry not been checking my emails so i missed your post. We have sent all our paperwork off to agents and are waiting for a SS lodge date so we can start counting the weeks down. They are very slow which is frustrating me. I think we are looking at Secret Harbour, Mandurah and surronding areas but all depends on work for Dom, just hope it picks up by july 2010 when we hope to go. Have you decided when and where you are heading to and has your application moved along any? Sometimes feel like we are getting now where at the moment, hope things are going wee for you.

Natalie xxx

Guest Natty T
Hi Nat

I've just joined this forum and I've been reading your advice to the above. I know its way past the date you were chatting with each other but your circumstances sound very much like mine! My husband is also a carpenter and we're hoping to head out in 2010. We have 3 kids but we're lucky enough to have Australian citizenship. It's so hard to know what the work situation is like out there from so far away although we devour all newspaper articles etc but it would be so good to have some contacts set up before we go. Are you going out to a job or taking a chance and hoping to find one when you get there? Have you done much research into schools for the kids? How is your visa progressing?

Hi Macfamily,

No we don't have jobs,we are thinking of going July 2010 so just trying to make contacts on here at the moment and when we get our visa we will sort out flights and start contacting jobs in OZ, but they seem to like to meet people face to face. We are thinking of Secret Harbour, Mandurah and surrounding areas but really need to go where the work is. I've looked at a few schools but as we don't know where to settle so i'm going round in circles. Have you got any dates sorted out or where to head to. What ages are your children?

Natalie :jiggy:

Guest macfamily

Hi Natalie,

Kids are 14, 12 and 10 so it's a case of can't leave it much longer or they won't go although the 14 year old is very keen to go at the moment! Haven't sorted out "where" yet as like yourselves it will depend on where OH gets work. It's such a big decision to make in the dark (ie., not having work before we go) and it's putting OH off a bit but I've been looking up loads of agencies and newspapers and there does seem to be plenty of work advertised for him. Schools are the same story, have looked at a few I like but it will depend on where we end up living as I think they only take from the catchment area. What age are your kids? Ideally I would like to go early next year. My brother is moving back to Perth (he's been at home for 4 years and 10 years before that in Perth) next month and we're hoping he might be able to give us a better idea of whats about - just hoping he doesn't come back with the news that things are bad out there!! Anyway on with the research......thanks for replyng!

Hi Natalie,

Kids are 14, 12 and 10 so it's a case of can't leave it much longer or they won't go although the 14 year old is very keen to go at the moment! Haven't sorted out "where" yet as like yourselves it will depend on where OH gets work. It's such a big decision to make in the dark (ie., not having work before we go) and it's putting OH off a bit but I've been looking up loads of agencies and newspapers and there does seem to be plenty of work advertised for him. Schools are the same story, have looked at a few I like but it will depend on where we end up living as I think they only take from the catchment area. What age are your kids? Ideally I would like to go early next year. My brother is moving back to Perth (he's been at home for 4 years and 10 years before that in Perth) next month and we're hoping he might be able to give us a better idea of whats about - just hoping he doesn't come back with the news that things are bad out there!! Anyway on with the research......thanks for replyng!

Hi, Are children are 10,8,5 and 4 in Oct, its the same for us now or never, Niamh will finish primary on 16th july 2010, i will have finished work 2 weeks before as thats when the term finishes at college for me, and hopefully we will have flights booked. Trying to de clutter the house and tidy it up ready to sell as soon as the visa comes through, when it does i will start to sort an area out and make some firm plans. Where are you in the process?

Guest macfamily

Hi Nat

We have Oz citizenship so we can basically go anytime i suppose. Just looking at 16 years worth of clutter in my house though and it will take me months to sort out. Just trying to hold off making a decision until my brother goes back and lets me know what its really like for work out there or try and set up some contacts. I'll keep you posted!

Hi Nat

We have Oz citizenship so we can basically go anytime i suppose. Just looking at 16 years worth of clutter in my house though and it will take me months to sort out. Just trying to hold off making a decision until my brother goes back and lets me know what its really like for work out there or try and set up some contacts. I'll keep you posted!

Thanks, good luck with sorting your house, i'm not looking forward to that bit.

Archived