On arrival...What did you do?

Guest Mr & Mrs Brown
They seem to be doing room lets for minimum 3 month stays though? What rate do you pay going only 2 weeks?

$380 for double room seems expensive too me - but perhaps its me thinking about families and the need to therefore get at least 2 rooms if you have kids?

It is in fact 2weeks minimum let. I recommend speaking to them directly to discuss your options and how they can accommodate your needs.

We don't have any kids so only have ourselves to worry about. We have it for $490pw which is including an ensuite. The thing which appealed to us was that we would be meeting people who were in a similar situation to us and who were not backpackers (which was my husbands preferred option!!).

I shall update on our findings when we get there!

xAx

Guest The Pom Queen

We have had a couple of young couples use them, not a place I would go for a family but if you are looking at hostels then it is another alternative, just be careful because they add on lots of extra, you pay around $40 per week for 500mb internet and the fees if you go over this are ridiculous. Also you have to pay weekly for the bedding They also charge $100 for cleaning the apartment. I think for a single person or a young couple who is not bothered about noise and privacy then it is ideal. Becareful though as some of their properties are on a min of 3 month with fees payable if you break this.

As you were already looking at hostels I think this will be fine for you, just make sure you know all the extras. Maybe also try and find out who else is living in the house at the same time.

Good luck with your journey

Kate

Hi can anyone recommend a short term furnished rental or rental company in Perth where we could maybe organise a rental before arriving in Oz? Dont really want to land at Perth airport with suitcases and no where to go. What a nightmare!!

Perhaps some of you British have stayed in these short term rentals and could recommend somewhere from experience?

Also car hire. Can anyone recommend car hire, preferably collecting from Perth airport which can also be organised before we leave the UK. :arghh:

Guest greengables

Try www.stayz.com.au to find a fully furnished short term rental to get you started. Lots of good Perth properties on there, rates vary depending on the season but worth keeping an eye on there for specials etc. They seem to cover a good range of areas so it's a great chance to find a short term rental in the area you plan to live in eventually so you can get a feel for the lifestyle there and make sure it suits before you committ to anything longer term.

In terms of hire cars we have always found Bayswater Car Rental to be the cheapest www.bayswatercarrental.com.au and they have an office close to the airport (in Bayswater -quick cab ride), also in Subiaco, Perth, Guilford and Fremantle so easy enough to return the car to the closest one when you are done. You can book this up on line at the website to have it all arranged for your arrival.

Hope this helps!

Try www.stayz.com.au to find a fully furnished short term rental to get you started. Lots of good Perth properties on there, rates vary depending on the season but worth keeping an eye on there for specials etc. They seem to cover a good range of areas so it's a great chance to find a short term rental in the area you plan to live in eventually so you can get a feel for the lifestyle there and make sure it suits before you committ to anything longer term.

In terms of hire cars we have always found Bayswater Car Rental to be the cheapest www.bayswatercarrental.com.au and they have an office close to the airport (in Bayswater -quick cab ride), also in Subiaco, Perth, Guilford and Fremantle so easy enough to return the car to the closest one when you are done. You can book this up on line at the website to have it all arranged for your arrival.

Hope this helps!

Thanks very much for your reply. I will add these websites to my favourites for when i am ready to start trawling through lol!!

Debbie :hug:

We came to melbourne in February this year, never been to Australia before

We prebooked the Formula 1 hotel at Melbourne airport, a 5 minute walk from the arrivals lounge for 1 night. It cost about $65, it was basic but warm and clean, and somewhere to lay flat after 26 hours in cattle class in the air.

We prebooked a rental car from Rentabomb. It's not situated on the airport, but you ring them and they collect you, it's only a 2 minute drive. That was a $150 deposit, refunded on car return and cost us $8 per day for hire. The good thing with them was we just kept ringing to extend the hire and they were delighted. The car was an old 1996 Toyota, but it was legal, the aircon worked (we arrived during the bush fires) and it had breakdown cover.

We pre-booked a furnished rental through takeabreak.com.au. Initially for 2 weeks, thought that would be long enough, then for another 2 weeks. We got the second 2 weeks at a reduced rate, but it still cost about $540 per week, at the time furnished rentals were being snapped up by those people who had lost their houses in the fires.

During this time, we both started work, bought a car (1992 Daewoo estate for $4,500) and started to look for rentals. We found a rental within 2 weeks. Many of the Realestate agents like the Brits, they know we are all eventually going to buy. Got a 3 bed house in Mitcham for $1,700 per month. Big but basic, close to shops and railstation (Give Helen a ring at Dockings in Vermont. they were great).

The owner of the rental allowed us to break the lease cos he wants to sell, so last Sunday we started to look, with better information on the suburbs, and today we signed a lease on a 4 bed house with spa bath, study, a rumpus room and swimming pool for $1950 per month in Doncaster East. Rental properties are plenty at the moment, depending on where you want to live. This will do us for another 12 months until we have PR and decide where we really want to be.

My advice is do not leave it all till you get here. If we had not have booked in advance we could have ended up paying a lot more for a lot less.

We came to melbourne in February this year, never been to Australia before

We prebooked the Formula 1 hotel at Melbourne airport, a 5 minute walk from the arrivals lounge for 1 night. It cost about $65, it was basic but warm and clean, and somewhere to lay flat after 26 hours in cattle class in the air.

We prebooked a rental car from Rentabomb. It's not situated on the airport, but you ring them and they collect you, it's only a 2 minute drive. That was a $150 deposit, refunded on car return and cost us $8 per day for hire. The good thing with them was we just kept ringing to extend the hire and they were delighted. The car was an old 1996 Toyota, but it was legal, the aircon worked (we arrived during the bush fires) and it had breakdown cover.

We pre-booked a furnished rental through takeabreak.com.au. Initially for 2 weeks, thought that would be long enough, then for another 2 weeks. We got the second 2 weeks at a reduced rate, but it still cost about $540 per week, at the time furnished rentals were being snapped up by those people who had lost their houses in the fires.

During this time, we both started work, bought a car (1992 Daewoo estate for $4,500) and started to look for rentals. We found a rental within 2 weeks. Many of the Realestate agents like the Brits, they know we are all eventually going to buy. Got a 3 bed house in Mitcham for $1,700 per month. Big but basic, close to shops and railstation (Give Helen a ring at Dockings in Vermont. they were great).

The owner of the rental allowed us to break the lease cos he wants to sell, so last Sunday we started to look, with better information on the suburbs, and today we signed a lease on a 4 bed house with spa bath, study, a rumpus room and swimming pool for $1950 per month in Doncaster East. Rental properties are plenty at the moment, depending on where you want to live. This will do us for another 12 months until we have PR and decide where we really want to be.

My advice is do not leave it all till you get here. If we had not have booked in advance we could have ended up paying a lot more for a lot less.

Thanks for that information. Thats the reason i was asking because want to try and book things before we arrive but didnt know where to start or who to contact.

We are hoping to come over to Perth next February - got the visa but still trying to sell our house :arghh:

Guest Samfire

We're off in just over three weeks time to the ACT. We can't sell our house (not for the want of trying), so have decided to rent it so that at least it's paying for itself. We did searches for short-term furnished rentals in Canberra - you could do a search online for Perth. This should get the ball rolling for you. Go onto the websites and check out the prices. Then compare them all - contact by email to ask specific questions. Some rental rates get cheaper the longer you stay. Also, go on the Western Australia Forum here on PIO and post a new thread asking if anybody knows where you might start looking for short-term accommodation. That's what I did, and when I found some useful links, I posted them up for others to avail of. You could also contact the visitor centre in Perth and ask them to send you on some contact details for short-term lets. Good luck with the search. Ours was week-to-week basis, and didn't require references etc. so it was really very easy and straight-forward to arrange. Worked out at $600 per week for 2-bed fully furnished unit, with secure parking, pool access, private courtyard, and electricity allowance included.

Guest travelgirl

Hey all!

I would go with a temporary furnished place until you can get a better feel for the city and what you are looking for.

The Furnished Property Group offers short-medium term furnished properties, shared accommodation, guest houses, and residential apartments that can have you set until you get your feet wet.

They're really helpful - Furnished apartments Sydney - furnished flats Bondi, Bondi Junction, Coogee and Sydney - TFPG - Medium term furnished share accommodation - accomodation - Coogee Beach apartments - Bondi Beach apartments

Good luck!

Hey all!

I would go with a temporary furnished place until you can get a better feel for the city and what you are looking for.

The Furnished Property Group offers short-medium term furnished properties, shared accommodation, guest houses, and residential apartments that can have you set until you get your feet wet.

They're really helpful - Furnished apartments Sydney - furnished flats Bondi, Bondi Junction, Coogee and Sydney - TFPG - Medium term furnished share accommodation - accomodation - Coogee Beach apartments - Bondi Beach apartments

Good luck!

Thanks for that. The only thing is it seems that they dont do Perth having looked on their website. We are migrating to Perth so need companies in that area.

Many thanks.

I am curious to know what people did on arrival please....

If you rented a furnished property (pre-booked or not? Mayby you went into a hotel?)

Or Unfurnished, then bought your own stuff, ready to put into your own home, when you eventually bought it? :confused:

Just trying to plan in my mind what we may do, so any ideas, thoughts & advice will be gratefully recieved...Many thanks :cute:

We booked short term for 4 weeks (Rag and Bone) furnised, and escaped after 12 days because the place was a dump. We then rented for 6 months to feel our feet and settle Luke in school. The first 3 days on a blow up airbed and an Esky until the furniture arived. Bought a plot of land 3 months after landing, and started to build 4 months later. Moved into own place 14 months into our adventure.

Hope this helps. Dale

Hi can anyone recommend a short term furnished rental or rental company in Perth where we could maybe organise a rental before arriving in Oz? Dont really want to land at Perth airport with suitcases and no where to go. What a nightmare!!

Perhaps some of you British have stayed in these short term rentals and could recommend somewhere from experience?

Also car hire. Can anyone recommend car hire, preferably collecting from Perth airport which can also be organised before we leave the UK. :arghh:

Hi Deb

We currently have 2 properties on our books in the Perth area, and are talking to other owners so are hoping to expand the number soon. Our properties are furnished short term rentals, and are pet friendly and reasonably priced.

We also have links to car hire on our site.

Good luck in your search

Tracey

www.ozhouserental.com

Hi Deb

We currently have 2 properties on our books in the Perth area, and are talking to other owners so are hoping to expand the number soon. Our properties are furnished short term rentals, and are pet friendly and reasonably priced.

We also have links to car hire on our site.

Good luck in your search

Tracey

www.ozhouserental.com

Thanks for that Tracey

I have added your site to our 'favourites' for when we are ready :hug:

i contacted kate on movingtomelbourne who had details of short term rentals in melbourne. fully furnished.

ive booked ours for a month. gives us chance to settle in and find somewhere to live while our things are being shipped over. i wanted to keep some kind of normailty in home life for my son and also have the luxury of space, that you dont get in a hotel.

its worked out over a 4 week period £50 a night for a 2 bed house with garage. BARGIN

i contacted kate on movingtomelbourne who had details of short term rentals in melbourne. fully furnished.

ive booked ours for a month. gives us chance to settle in and find somewhere to live while our things are being shipped over. i wanted to keep some kind of normailty in home life for my son and also have the luxury of space, that you dont get in a hotel.

its worked out over a 4 week period £50 a night for a 2 bed house with garage. BARGIN

Is there a web site for movingtomelbourne??? do you have link??

Most people book a short term fully furnished rental when they first arrive. There a lots of ways to do it. You can look at sites like Stayz and Takeabreak, search forums like this to see where other people have stayed and use word of mouth. Relocation companies can often help you as well.

Love

Rudi

x

we rented a holiday let for two weeks shipped all our stuff except the bed we bought new beds here.two weeks was tight for finding a long term let we could not get estate agents to show us any they just wanted us to turn up to open days. we bought a bbq to cook on and a outdoor patio set until our furniture arrived which then went outside.

Forgot to say....:chatterbox:

My worry with Unfurnished is: Would you be tempted to rush into buying stuff & as you dont know the shops etc...May regret your purchases later on?

Although we rented furnished there was a couple of things we wanted to add...So wish we had got settled in first, what you have said above is exactly what happened...now we know where...and more to the point HOW to shop over here...we could have saved a fortune.

Hindsight is 20/20 vision.

Good luck with all,

Mac

Archived