Sign in to follow this  
Guest chrisaki

Where to begin?!

Guest chrisaki

Hi,

I have been looking at the forum and have just been getting lost with all the abreviations and numbers flying aorund! Could anyone give me a Beginners guide to emergrating to australia?

I will be going to Oz in October with my girlfriend on a years working holiday visa. We hope to extend this to two years by doing fruit picking. we know our travelling experience won't be anything like living in one place but we thought we would test the water before we make the big jump to move their permenantly (if possible).

I am 24 and have a degree in civil engineering. i have 2 years experience with a geotechnical engineering firm. i have lived with my girlfriend for two years. She has a degree in sculpture. i expect once we are done travelling we will have no savings and don't have any assets.

can i have advice about which visa will be most sutable to obtain? Can my partner get in on 'my' visa ?As i haven't been yet i do not know which state is for me. given we are travelling time is not of the essence but reading other threds it seams to be a good idea to get an application in sooner rather then later.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Chrisaski

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

What you really need to do for the next few months is to keep a close eye on the DIAC website, primarily.

Important changes are announced at the foot of the Home Page.

Department of Immigration & Citizenship

DIAC publish a series of useful Booklets, only one or two of which are likely to be relevant to you.

Information Booklets - Applications & Forms - Visas & Immigration

You also need to keep an eye on the SOL (Skilled Occupations List.) I think that might change quite a bit over the next year or two but time will tell:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1121i.pdf

I don't find the SOL particularly useful because it doesn't provide anything except the Aussie job title. I find the ASRI List (the SOL rehashed and expanded) is more informative.

A-Z Occupations List - Australian Skills Recognition Information

First things first, though!

You are no longer confined to poorly paid fruit picking & other types of harvesting in order to secure a second year on a WH Visa:

Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417)

The range of stuff you can now do is eclectic and some of it is very well paid:

Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417)

My sister lives in Perth and has done for many years. She told me that a lot of young backpackers now get jobs in the mines in WA. The girls work in the mine camps as cooks, cleaners etc (though some of them do get licences to operate the machines in the mines too.) The men can get jobs as mine labourers if all else fails.

Elaine (sister) told me about a British girl she had met who had been working as a cook in one of the mine camps. She was being paid the equivalent of $90,000 AUD a year though it is rostered work - you might spend a month at the mine and then have a week or two off. It is casual work so you don't get paid unless you are actually at the mine. Some of the camps have double rooms (called Dongas and they are mainly portakabin type construction.)

One project in WA which needs a huge number of workers at present is the construction of the Burrup gas plant in WA:

Woodside

Have a look at the 2008 video in the links on the left.

I know nothing about engineering so the gas side of things would interest you more than me!

Your girlfriend is likely to share my own interest in where all these workers are living. Apparently 200 or so of them are living in chalets in a holiday park in Karratha but the majority of the workers are housed in a specially built camp called Gap Ridge:

http://www.woodside.com.au/NR/rdonlyres/E9D6DD93-1436-495D-9FDC-C9AC03048565/0/PlutoPulseDec08.pdf

All of these camps provide free food and accommodation. Feeding a workforce of about 2000 people for every meal must be a logistical nightmare so it is no wonder that they have a huge kitchen and are on the lookout for Chefs, Cooks, Kitchen hands etc.

A company called MAC services has been building and is responsible for the services provided at Gap Ridge:

The MAC Services Group Limited

I don't know who is in charge of hiring the casual staff but somebody at MAC Services would know, I should think.

What else is there to do around there? The Dampier Archipelago. Scuba diving, snorkelling, and if you are lucky and are there at the right time (April to about August) you might see some humpback whales and their calves, resting and fattening themselves up for the long trek to their summer feeding grounds in the Antarctic.

There are projects like this happening in lots of places in Oz. It is just a matter of finding the ones in whichever State you happen to be in when you do your Specified Work.

With regard to the future, you really have to wait and see what is happening with the visa regime at the time when you are ready to start investigating how to stay in Australia long term. Nobody can tell you what the score will be with visas a year from now because the current Minister for Immi is proving to be a very energetic innovator and reformer and he implements change very quickly once he has decided to do it.

All you can really do at the moment is be aware of what is around at the minute and then watch developments, I suggest.

One possibility would be an employer sponsored visa for one of you, probably for the engineer:

Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457)

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1154.pdf

Currently there are a couple of skilled independent visas that might be possible for you as well:

Skilled – Regional Sponsored (Provisional) visa (subclass 487)

Each State & Territory has its own migration department and they publish lists of the occupations they are prepared to sponsor people for. The link to all the State/Territory websites is here:

State & Territory Migration Sites - australia.gov.au

Australia is very keen to attract Engineers of all types, too:

Skilled – Recognised Graduate (Temporary) visa (subclass 476)

The sc 476 visa is specifically for Engineering graduates. That is all I know about it.

Your girlfriend could be added to your visa. Alternatively if she can get some sculpting work an employer might sponsor her for a 457 visa and later for Permanent Residency, in which case you would be added to her visa instead of the other way round. The Partner has full work rights in Oz.

Cheers

Gill

Guest chrisaki

Gill,

where have you been all my life?! i can not thank you enough for the information. i never new that going into mining was so relatively straight forward. the links are great as well. i have looked into the 476 and i am still able to ably for it (the deadline is the end of this month!). this would give me an 18 month cushion in Oz to find sponsorship (thanks again!). Also given it takes upto 18months to get i should be into my second visa for when it comes through.

I know nothing falls into place so easily so i'm guessing there will be some hiccups along the way but you have given me just what i wanted, a place for me to start.

a huge thanks! :hug:

Chris

Hi,

I have been looking at the forum and have just been getting lost with all the abreviations and numbers flying aorund! Could anyone give me a Beginners guide to emergrating to australia?

I will be going to Oz in October with my girlfriend on a years working holiday visa. We hope to extend this to two years by doing fruit picking. we know our travelling experience won't be anything like living in one place but we thought we would test the water before we make the big jump to move their permenantly (if possible).

I am 24 and have a degree in civil engineering. i have 2 years experience with a geotechnical engineering firm. i have lived with my girlfriend for two years. She has a degree in sculpture. i expect once we are done travelling we will have no savings and don't have any assets.

can i have advice about which visa will be most sutable to obtain? Can my partner get in on 'my' visa ?As i haven't been yet i do not know which state is for me. given we are travelling time is not of the essence but reading other threds it seams to be a good idea to get an application in sooner rather then later.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

The way your are going you are more likely than not to kill your recent professional skilled work experience and not be able to qualify to apply for permanent residence in any obvious way; once you have finished travelling. I suggest you consult a registered migration agent to ascertain what steps you need to take to apply for skilled migration and take them.

Westly Russell Registered Migration Agent 0316072 www.pinoyau.com