RueA

And I was going to be so prepared for our reccie!

To cut a long story short! Well I’ll try!

When telling my Uncle we had our visa through! Yippee!! (1/7/09) and that it would be either (school hols) Christmas or Easter for the reccie and visa validation trip. It needs to be before 9/5/10 and this summer is too short notice. My Hubby (Dave) had that look in his eye! I knew at that moment that my work permitting we would be going in Aug 09!!!!!!! :jiggy:

So ANY advice welcome! Nothing booked! NOT ONE THING!!!

We are heading for Victoria

Got some prices for flights to Melbourne £2550 for 2 Adults & a 2yr old (30th July -19th Aug) From London.

Car 1st price £450 for the whole time we are there (ford focus) might be able to get that down?

Not sure were to stay! Geelong has our attention from what we have read on PIO and in books.

We would like self catering accommodation/ 2 bedrooms. Dave would like to have 1 base as he’s not keen on packing & unpacking every few days. I thought maybe 2 bases would give us a wider area to have a look around (week or so in each).

Dave is a teacher hence school hols I’m an Occupational therapist Our 176 visa was granted on Wed 1st July 09 we plan on moving before our daughter Megan (nearly 2ys) goes to school.

Any suggestions?

I do have to say one big thank you to Dave for sorting out all the visa paperwork etc! :hug:

Ruth

Pack lots of warm clothes - Aug is the coldest month.

Julie,

Many thanks for the links only had a quick look but looks very promising! Will forward the link to hubby who is on a school trip until Thurs evening (talk about timing)! Hopefully we will sort something out.

Ruth x

Just had a quick chat to Dave he say's Hi and thanks! you've talked to each other on here and facebook. He's DaveA on PIO.

Just having another look now Megan's in bed so can look properly this time.

Cheers again.

Ruth x

Guest adeken1

Hi,

Have a look at www.stayz.com there are loads of short term/ holiday rentals available.

Also have a look at www.Arguscarhire.com (I think they are based in Ireland) But they have great rates with loads of Car rental companies in Australia. We always use them when we go to Melbourne. Have fun and yes, don't forget your sweaters!

Oh, and we use www.netflights.com for our flights. If you're booking on line it's best to jiggle your days around a bit as the costs can vary considerably from day to day

if you can handle the sky bus ride into Melbourne (45 minutes) after your 24 hour flight you will find it cheaper to collect your car there. You pay a higher rate for pick up drop offs at the airport. God love em for making a few extra bucks out of us.....

Geelong is an hour out of Melbourne give or take so if you plan on doing other areas you maybe best getting somewhere closer to the CBD rather than spending alot of time in your car.

be warned stick to the speed limit cameras are everywhere not painted up like in the UK, well hidden and no tolerance given.

If you plan on staying in the west of Vic you'll be OK but if you plan going south/east go to the post office and get yourself a daypass for city link (toll roads NO TOLL BOOTHS) and pay extra and get a sat nav save the arguements LOL

Congratulations on the visa

Kind Regards

Geoffrey (32, an aussie!!), Tracy (35), Jake (7), Jessica (2) & Joseph (1) :jiggy:

if you can handle the sky bus ride into Melbourne (45 minutes) after your 24 hour flight you will find it cheaper to collect your car there. You pay a higher rate for pick up drop offs at the airport. God love em for making a few extra bucks out of us.....

Geelong is an hour out of Melbourne give or take so if you plan on doing other areas you maybe best getting somewhere closer to the CBD rather than spending alot of time in your car.

be warned stick to the speed limit cameras are everywhere not painted up like in the UK, well hidden and no tolerance given.

If you plan on staying in the west of Vic you'll be OK but if you plan going south/east go to the post office and get yourself a daypass for city link (toll roads NO TOLL BOOTHS) and pay extra and get a sat nav save the arguements LOL

Congratulations on the visa

You can also go online and get a pass for CityLink or Eastlink (and you can use it for either if I remember rightly)

www.citylink.com.au

or

www.breeze.com.au (eastlink) For journeys to Frankston from the east)

If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”

John Quincy Adams

Guest proud2beaussie

Unfortunately you are probably unlikely to find fares any lower than that.

You have two things working against you,one is the short notice and the second is that you are travelling at one of the busiest times of the year,the busiest months at Heathrow are August and December.

But don't give up just yet ,check out -

Sunways Travel | Great value, great choice, great holidays

and Just the Flight

They are two of the best web search sites with direct links to airlines and therefore get up to the minute fares and specials.

Good Luck with your reccie.

You can also go online and get a pass for CityLink or Eastlink (and you can use it for either if I remember rightly)

www.citylink.com.au

or

www.breeze.com.au (eastlink) For journeys to Frankston from the east)

Hi Olly

your right just thinking while driving when you see those blue and yellow signs and wonder what to do or where to go

Kind Regards

Geoffrey (32, an aussie!!), Tracy (35), Jake (7), Jessica (2) & Joseph (1) :jiggy:

Hi Olly

your right just thinking while driving when you see those blue and yellow signs and wonder what to do or where to go

Yes, if its blue and yellow, you gotta pay! Green and white, means drive for free. This never would have happened if I were PM, that's my story anyway:twitcy:

If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”

John Quincy Adams

Guest gary12

We stayed here last year Helms Haven - Geelong - Great Ocean Road, VIC the owner lives next door but you only see her if you want to or if she is arranging to come in and clean. She was aware we had a long flight so I emailed her a shopping list and she made sure it was all there waiting only charging for the items. It's on a bus route into Geelong and is a good spot for touring that side. As said if you are looking more to Melbourne it is better to be closer as it is an hour on the train. Mornington side again is beautiful but a fair way out of the city.

Best of luck

Oh and do take the advice to bring warm clothes, had to scrape the car this morning! Beautiful sunny day though.

Michelle

Singapore had a good deal going on but they have probably sold out

I have always managed to get a good deal with dialaflight, you usually have to ring them but they do have a website which is dialaflight.com I think

Austravel were good too

best of luck with your reccie, if you want to meet a friendly face while you are here give me a pm

Karen

Visa - MODL 136 Childcare Coordinator

1st TRA application, Nov 06, as a Childcare Coordinator came back positive as Hairdresser so...........

TRA ack 20/03/ app 27/04/07

Visa lodged 14/05/07

PC back 10/07/07

visa ack 14/08/07

C O 26/09/07 (11/09/07)

meds arrived 22/10/07

VISAs granted 14/12/07:biglaugh:

Thanks everyone for some really good information and links to different sites. Got to start making some decisions when Dave gets back and get some of this booked. I'm starting to panic now. Just have to take a few deep breaths and a couple of glasses of wine I'm sure it will all work out.

Fingers crossed.

Ruth x