carpentry acrington

Guest brettsarah

Guest brettsarah

HI

Have posted this before but as the time is so very near thought I would post again

My OH is doing his carpentry in acrington on the 10th Friday!!! He is getting a bit nervous now Iam too but have every faith he can do it any advise for how to relax!!

Is anyone esle going then? Just wish it was over and done with they certanly dont make the process an easy one.

Hi there

OH did his test last October, I spoke to him about what advice he would give anyone taking it now and his advice was, ..providing the person taking the test has done a carpentry apprenticeship, or has been in the Carpentry business for a number of years, it really is nothing to worry about. Its not an exam to catch you out, it is genuinely a way to check that you know carpentry, nothing more. The examiners were great blokes who are not only examiners, they are they to give you guidence if needed. Having said all that, he too was a bag of nerves!!! Hindsight...what a wonderful thing it is!!

PS he also says, be prepared for a long, mentally draining and tiring day!!! Lovely!

I'm sure he'll be fine.

Good luck

Lisa

My oh is doing his joinery on the 5th August. Hes nervous. We are going down on the 4th and staying over in Burnley so i can have something to do. And then staying in Blackpool the night after the test so we can relax for a while.

good luck

Guest brettsarah

I am going to for support we are staying in burnley then on to blackpool too good luck to you for the 5th

Hi

I did my carpentry assessment last Thursday (02/07/09)found out on Tuesday that I was successful.

I was also a bag of nerves but the assessor was a really nice guy very helpful.

Just listen to what he says and read all the instructions on the tasks that they give you and everything will be fine.

Take plenty to eat and drink as it is a long day and very warm in the workshop,I must have lost at least a stone in weight from sweating from the moment I got in to when I left,anyway good luck on your assessment

Guest casapicalo

Hi Scoot!

I see you have recently done your carpentry practical. I am doing mine on monday. Just wanted to ask you if you are allowed to use a ready recknor and stanley roofing square. Hav n't done to much roofing, so have done a quick practise one. If you can't use a ready recknor can you tell me how to find your true length of rafters. Also do the rafters finish flush with the top of the ridge or are they set down from the ridge.

Any help would be much apprieciated.

Dave.

Hi Scoot!

I see you have recently done your carpentry practical. I am doing mine on monday. Just wanted to ask you if you are allowed to use a ready recknor and stanley roofing square. Hav n't done to much roofing, so have done a quick practise one. If you can't use a ready recknor can you tell me how to find your true length of rafters. Also do the rafters finish flush with the top of the ridge or are they set down from the ridge.

Any help would be much apprieciated.

Dave.

Hey there i took mine some months ago, it all straight forward what is it you want to know, may be i can help

Guest casapicalo

I am doing mine on monday. Just wanted to ask you if you are allowed to use a ready recknor and stanley roofing square. Hav n't done to much roofing, so have done a quick practise one. If you can't use a ready recknor can you tell me how to find your true length of rafters. Also do the rafters finish flush with the top of the ridge or are they set down from the ridge.

Hiya

Yes you are allowed to take and use the ready recknor and squares. Lets be honest how many people in the trade actually still hand cut roofs every day!

Good Luck

Lisa

true, guys who work for me use chain saw to cut the whole roof in half the time. good look you guys.

Guest Sue du Rose

hi hope you can help Adam is doing his carepenter practical on 24th july at accrington we have found out quite a bit of info we think will help but a little unsure re roof and knowledge of scafolding components could you offer any advise

role on the 24th to stop the panic and nerves!!!!

many thanks

sue du Rose

No problem,If you buy Goss's Roofing Ready Reckoner it gives you all the info about roofs,google scaffold parts and you will get all the names for the parts if you want to PM me I could give you more info

Guest casapicalo

Hi su!

I did my practical in Acrington on monday, and found out I passed this morning. So the results don't take long to come back.

I like Adam was pretty nervous about what to expect. The day was actually pretty laid back. The morning started with making the saw stool, which I think is the part of the test easiest to get wrong, 2 out of the 4 guys in my group got it wrong. This was mainly because they were rushing and didn't read the drawing properly. So make sure you take your time to look at the drawing and double check you have marked the recesses on the 4x2 top correctly before cutting them out. Also cut legs long and cut them at the end. As the height needs to finish at 600mm high. Also during the morning the aussie examiner takes you in the room next door and asks you a few questions for me it was about what chippie work i have done etc. Also read up on setting out, eg datum marks and why you use them and general type of levelling, eg water level, laser level. Also a bit on concreting. Most of the stuff is really basic , so if you have been on site for a few years you will find it easy. At the start of the day he gives you 2 sheets of paper. One where you have to name scaffolding componants off of a drawing, just look at a scaffold from a book or on the net.I got a book from the libary. The other was a drawing of a timber frame where again you need to name componants. Which is easy. Joist, stud, noggin,joist hanger, head plate sole plate etc.

Next was the roof. I had not really done any roofing since college so i practised a couple in the garage so the examine was easy. But again 2 of the guys in my group did struggle.

I would reccomend that adam buys a stanely quick square and a ready recknor and do a practise one. Get a sheet of ply 2440x1220 put a 3x2 wall plate round which has already been done for you, then cut a 30 degree pitch roof. All you do in the exam is 5 commons 1 of which is a crown rafter. 1 hip and 2 jacks then put 2x ceiling joists in and 2 trimmer joists then cut rafter feet to take fascia.

The rest of the tasks are short and a piece of cake. Hope this helps and good luck.

Dave.

Guest Sue du Rose

thank you VERY much i will sleep better!! adam is going to practice this weekend>

fortunately we are not too far from accrington only 1 hour so he won't have to stay over

good luck with your move

many thanks again

sue

Guest Natty T
Hi su!

I did my practical in Acrington on monday, and found out I passed this morning. So the results don't take long to come back.

I like Adam was pretty nervous about what to expect. The day was actually pretty laid back. The morning started with making the saw stool, which I think is the part of the test easiest to get wrong, 2 out of the 4 guys in my group got it wrong. This was mainly because they were rushing and didn't read the drawing properly. So make sure you take your time to look at the drawing and double check you have marked the recesses on the 4x2 top correctly before cutting them out. Also cut legs long and cut them at the end. As the height needs to finish at 600mm high. Also during the morning the aussie examiner takes you in the room next door and asks you a few questions for me it was about what chippie work i have done etc. Also read up on setting out, eg datum marks and why you use them and general type of levelling, eg water level, laser level. Also a bit on concreting. Most of the stuff is really basic , so if you have been on site for a few years you will find it easy. At the start of the day he gives you 2 sheets of paper. One where you have to name scaffolding componants off of a drawing, just look at a scaffold from a book or on the net.I got a book from the libary. The other was a drawing of a timber frame where again you need to name componants. Which is easy. Joist, stud, noggin,joist hanger, head plate sole plate etc.

Next was the roof. I had not really done any roofing since college so i practised a couple in the garage so the examine was easy. But again 2 of the guys in my group did struggle.

I would reccomend that adam buys a stanely quick square and a ready recknor and do a practise one. Get a sheet of ply 2440x1220 put a 3x2 wall plate round which has already been done for you, then cut a 30 degree pitch roof. All you do in the exam is 5 commons 1 of which is a crown rafter. 1 hip and 2 jacks then put 2x ceiling joists in and 2 trimmer joists then cut rafter feet to take fascia.

The rest of the tasks are short and a piece of cake. Hope this helps and good luck.

Dave.

Dave what an excellent post, Dom does his 23rd july,many thanks for the info i know this will be a big help.

Natalie :v_SPIN:

Guest Sue du Rose

hi there i've been busy looking for info to help adam and if i get any more replys i will forward them to you. thank goodness for people like Dave

sue

If anybody would rather talk to me about the carpentry assessment then they can PM me their number and I will get back to them.

I'm not a nutter or mad stalker,just wanting to help as I know how nerve racking it is before during and after your assessment

thanks

Scott

Dave what an excellent post, Dom does his 23rd july,many thanks for the info i know this will be a big help.

Natalie :v_SPIN:

Make sure you allow for the bird mouth on the rafters, also you may get asked about dangers in buildings, they want to here you say about asbestos, as this is a big killer, you also will be asked to rip some wood down with an electric saw make sure you put goggle on and ear plugs as the are keen on health and saftey. good luck.

Guest Natty T
Make sure you allow for the bird mouth on the rafters, also you may get asked about dangers in buildings, they want to here you say about asbestos, as this is a big killer, you also will be asked to rip some wood down with an electric saw make sure you put goggle on and ear plugs as the are keen on health and saftey. good luck.

Many thanks every little bit of info helps, hope we can do the same for others.Just be glad when its all over.I know Dom knows his stuff but nerves on the day can put you off.It will be a very large drink when we get home next thurs night and an even larger one for a pass. Bye the end of the visa process i'll be an alcoholic.

Thanks again Nat and Dom.

Guest lori and paul
Hi

I did my carpentry assessment last Thursday (02/07/09)found out on Tuesday that I was successful.

I was also a bag of nerves but the assessor was a really nice guy very helpful.

Just listen to what he says and read all the instructions on the tasks that they give you and everything will be fine.

Take plenty to eat and drink as it is a long day and very warm in the workshop,I must have lost at least a stone in weight from sweating from the moment I got in to when I left,anyway good luck on your assessment

hi scoot we also from glasgow my oh a joiner..is it perth u going we are off to brisbane,,we just got our visa 11may..where in glasgow u live we are in old kilpatrick:jiggy:

Archived