Are you a recent Migrant to Australia and been rejected for every job?

Guest Nickpollins

Hi,

This problem is not just in Brisbane it is Australia wide. My hubbie is an Australian Citizen returning to live and settle in Perth and he has had no luck on the job front at all. It is not the fact that he can't obtain employment that frustrates it is the fact that he never hears anything back from the many 100's of applications he has submitted, hand delivered etc etc etc. The problem is there are too many people applying for the same job and employers are inundated with applications the majority of which I am sure they do not even bother to look at. The majority of jobs applied for have usually already gone. What do you need to do to get an acknowledgement yet alone an interview. If anyone has any answers please let me know I would be very interested to find out.

Karen

Karen,

What industry/line of work?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest SGKG102
Karen,

What industry/line of work?[/quote

Hi suzer,

Steve is a Precision Engineer. Tool making industry. On the demand list but no actual jobs. He is fantastic with car mechanics and can set his hand at almost anything but the majority of jobs require some sort of transport, tools, certificates, etc none of which we have the money for as we have used up all our savings getting our rental and furnishing it. He has even sent in applications to Red Rooster and the like but nothing, nada, nout. :arghh: He applied for hs TFN 7 weeks ago and has not even heard from that therefore we can't even go to Centrelink for help:arghh:

Regards

Karen

Karen,

Hi suzer,

Steve is a Precision Engineer. Tool making industry. On the demand list but no actual jobs. He is fantastic with car mechanics and can set his hand at almost anything but the majority of jobs require some sort of transport, tools, certificates, etc none of which we have the money for as we have used up all our savings getting our rental and furnishing it. He has even sent in applications to Red Rooster and the like but nothing, nada, nout. :arghh: He applied for hs TFN 7 weeks ago and has not even heard from that therefore we can't even go to Centrelink for help:arghh:

Regards

Karen

Sounds like you are in a bit of a bind then, with no tranport or certification. I guess him applying for apprenticeship work with MBA or HIA as a different type of tradesman isn't an option; have you checked it out?

Guest Nickpollins
This is such a true statement "it's not what you know it's who". The same applied to us. We arrived July last year, my OH did not get a job until the October and that was through our neighbour who was a Geologist. He gave my OH a list of names and numbers and my OH rang the first one, said he had been recommended and he got a job working up in Newman, WA as a Field Assistant.

I do believe it is who you know. My OH was then made redundant and went onto plastering but there was not enough work for him. He was out of work for 4 weeks and then after phoning, faxing, emailing his CV off everyday he finally was given a break.

I think at the moment, people emigrating have to be very realistic and come with your eyes open and do not expect to get a job straight away even if you are coming in with a trade. My OH is a bricklayer by trade but most the jobs he rang up only wanted Australians which we felt was fair enough.

Don't emigrate thinking all is rosy, be positive and realistic in your approach to coming here. It will work out for you eventually.

We also found that most of the internet sites advertising jobs are not updated as often as they should be. We found the main newspapers and the local ones the best places to look for jobs.

Claire

I concur with Claires synopsis. It is WHO you know!

I have no applied for 414 jobs and had 2 interviews (those were about job number 56 and 70 hahaha)

My friend has been deported but has now been offered a job so they may be able to push his PR though that he has been waiting for since Nov (applied almost 2 years ago!!) His friend got him a job.

The stupid thing is over here they dont recognise your skills or qualifications. But this is the same for everyone. I am an FCCA and FFA but (and I quote both the ACCA and CPA) due to competition issues they dont recognise each other. The bottom line...possibly another year of studying and $2000 (which we cant afford) to spend.

My wife was an Ofsted registered child minder and a mother of 2 and 32. She works in day care centres but isnt allowed to be left in a room with the kids as she hasnt got her aussie cert 3 in childcare. Whereas an 18 year old who has never looked after a child but has a diploma in child care from here can RUN a centre.

Something somewhere is pretty screwed!! lol

Pretty much same storey, applied for 200+ jobs, got a response (NO) from 10 and 2 interviews. Got a job after 4 months basically said didn't need the money just the experience!!!!!!!! Obviously got the job, within a month 40% pay rise and car allowance. oohh and had a great 4 months off when i got here. after about 50 with no replies i decided to not take it personally anymore and just keep plugging on.

It is a hard thing to move and give up a lifetime of contacts, but personally i like the challange i have clothes on my back, the kids don't starve, the sun shines more here, i have been to the beach both days over this weekend what is there to complain about.

It is hard moving but when is life a bed of roses? Not having a pop as i think it is good to know all these things. my ramble over.

God bless and goodnight.

Guest claire&fred

Completely agree. I blame the Government encouraging all us skilled workers to come in and then when we get here, you find out you need more training and certificates. My OH also had an HGV2 License in the UK and an Excavator License but to get a job using either he had to go through training again plus most the jobs he applied for wanted him to have at least 2 years experience, here, not in the UK.

I think the Government and the Agents need to make it clearer for all those skilled workers on the list that at this moment in time, jobs are hard to come by. If we had known that it was going to be this hard I don't think we would have given up our entire lives, families and jobs so soon. We would have left it till things had got a little better. There is nothing worse than being out of work, but even worse in a country you don't know.

Claire

Guest Nickpollins
Pretty much same storey, applied for 200+ jobs, got a response (NO) from 10 and 2 interviews. Got a job after 4 months basically said didn't need the money just the experience!!!!!!!! Obviously got the job, within a month 40% pay rise and car allowance. oohh and had a great 4 months off when i got here. after about 50 with no replies i decided to not take it personally anymore and just keep plugging on.

It is a hard thing to move and give up a lifetime of contacts, but personally i like the challange i have clothes on my back, the kids don't starve, the sun shines more here, i have been to the beach both days over this weekend what is there to complain about.

It is hard moving but when is life a bed of roses? Not having a pop as i think it is good to know all these things. my ramble over.

God bless and goodnight.

Couldnt agree more. I never expected life to be a bed of roses. But ive got more high level experience than most aussie accountants/business managers and cant even get a job as a accounts receivable clerk.

But I will keep soldiering on. I vow to hit 600 applications by the end of the week. I am trying all major cities and not taking it personally, although I am taking it in a discrimatory way (ie you are a migrant **** off!) If only they had that attitude in the UK I may never have left lol

I guess at the end of the day it will make us appreciate it alot more when I have a job. The only worry is it wont be long before I dont have the clothes on my back or food for my kids. I dread that day with all my being!!

Completely agree. I blame the Government encouraging all us skilled workers to come in and then when we get here, you find out you need more training and certificates. My OH also had an HGV2 License in the UK and an Excavator License but to get a job using either he had to go through training again plus most the jobs he applied for wanted him to have at least 2 years experience, here, not in the UK.

I think the Government and the Agents need to make it clearer for all those skilled workers on the list that at this moment in time, jobs are hard to come by. If we had known that it was going to be this hard I don't think we would have given up our entire lives, families and jobs so soon. We would have left it till things had got a little better. There is nothing worse than being out of work, but even worse in a country you don't know.

Claire

As for the agents they are just about the money, they ain't bothered if you get a job, just so long as you pay them their fee and move down under.

My wife and I did all our own paperwork and got everything done at half the price of a friend who employed a agent to do it for them, saving about £1000.

I also had problems finding a job over here. I was in the Army and specilised in bomb disposal, everyone thought I'd get a job without any problems with my expertise etc, but as I don't even have my PR nevermind my citizenship I am unable to get security clearance. So as I had been in the Army since I was 16 I didn't have any other qualifications. I applied to a number jobs doing anything and everything and eventualy on my first interview I managed to get a job working in a Auctioneers. It's a good job but I could do with a little more money. Good luck for everyone who is looking for work out there, and just keep plodding along

Guest claire&fred
As for the agents they are just about the money, they ain't bothered if you get a job, just so long as you pay them their fee and move down under.

My wife and I did all our own paperwork and got everything done at half the price of a friend who employed a agent to do it for them, saving about £1000.

I also had problems finding a job over here. I was in the Army and specilised in bomb disposal, everyone thought I'd get a job without any problems with my expertise etc, but as I don't even have my PR nevermind my citizenship I am unable to get security clearance. So as I had been in the Army since I was 16 I didn't have any other qualifications. I applied to a number jobs doing anything and everything and eventualy on my first interview I managed to get a job working in a Auctioneers. It's a good job but I could do with a little more money. Good luck for everyone who is looking for work out there, and just keep plodding along

Absolutely, it is all about confidence and perserverance. My OH went for his first interview a week ago Friday. After applying for hundreds of jobs he was just happy to get an interview. He and 60 other blokes went along. They rang him on the Monday offering him the job. I cannot tell you the relief. The money is not brilliant, but we just got to the point that anything will do.

Claire

Guest stephaniel

Hi ya

My husband is Australian, we are moving to Oz soon so my husband is applying for jobs on-line every day but he rarely even gets a reply. I think the job situation in Oz is bad for anyone at the mo. Makes me worry if we are doing the right thing as we are both giving up jobs here in the UK

Hi ya

My husband is Australian, we are moving to Oz soon so my husband is applying for jobs on-line every day but he rarely even gets a reply. I think the job situation in Oz is bad for anyone at the mo. Makes me worry if we are doing the right thing as we are both giving up jobs here in the UK

It's most likely as you are out of the country at the moment.

Guest claire&fred
No the job market is **** and you are touting for business

Unfortunately you are right. It is very hard at the moment. We found the biggest problem was the complete lack of response from all the jobs OH applied for. Even if he had had one or two replies then at least if he had spoken to someone he could have asked for some feedback.

Claire

Unfortunately you are right. It is very hard at the moment. We found the biggest problem was the complete lack of response from all the jobs OH applied for. Even if he had had one or two replies then at least if he had spoken to someone he could have asked for some feedback.

Claire[/QUOT

I`m on a big wobble there at work ( i`m the latest cost cut I think) not worried apart from getin a job at my age , academically i am fine but not recognised here , year 11 education here is better than an OU degree , but hey ho as the song goes carry on regardless plus being an old git does not help lol

Guest Jamie Smith

Gday Nik

Wouldn't it be good if... you approached the special effects companies that work for the fil industry and fireworks/pyrotechnics companies that do public events. ??

Guest Jamie Smith

Gday Nickpollins

Just so eveyone on this thread doesn't get discouraged with employers not returning the contact.....and to help make sure you don't crack 600 too easily.

Let's do a telephone interview this week. I'll try to call you Wednesday after lunch. Toll call is my cost.

Australia is in recession too you know!!!!! So many companies here are just hanging in there trying to survive. State governments have had massive budget cuts, and there are many Aussies joining the dole queue. My honest advice would be that if you have a job anywhere, stick with it until the global economy rights itself, and then make the move to Australia.

I speak very much from experience. My family and I emigrated to West Australia during the "mini" recesssion of 1990/91. We had a short time frame to validate our visa, and sold our house at a GBP 100,000 loss because of the massive slump in the property market at that time. We got to Australia to find property was even worse than UK so bought a great place for less than we expected to pay. But it took us nearly a year to get permanent work in our fields and we lived on temping and our savings during that time.

If you are in Oz and struggling.... just hang on in there and it will be OK.

One thing I have learned is that tenacity and effort counts for heaps in Oz.... along with a huge dollop of "who you know"!

Good Luck everyone!!!

• 1 month later...
Guest guest12791
Gday Nickpollins

Just so eveyone on this thread doesn't get discouraged with employers not returning the contact.....and to help make sure you don't crack 600 too easily.

Let's do a telephone interview this week. I'll try to call you Wednesday after lunch. Toll call is my cost.

well did you get a job then nickpollins? im eager to know , hope you did, annemarie

well did you get a job then nickpollins? im eager to know , hope you did, annemarie

Was there a job or was it just to get people on the books.:wideeyed:

Guest guest17520

The main issue at the moment is obviously the GFC, it's screwed up job markets everywhere, not just Oz.

I came here 2 1/2 years ago, sent out 10 CV's on a Monday had two responses and started working on the Tuesday and that was with the condition that my employer was willing to sponsor me so I wasn't expecting a great deal of response but I did get a job and get sponsored. Prior to that I had been here on a 1 year working holiday visa and had no shortage of jobs. All this with no Australian experience and no qualifications

I have never gone for a high level job so don't know how difficult that would be but my feeling is that it is because of the global economy no matter what country you go to it's gonna be hard to get a job. We have all heard of stories where your local supermarket is offering a shelf packing job and about 50 people turn up for the interview.

My advice is that if you have secure job whether that be in the UK or Australia seriously think about staying there until the market gets better.

Its not just migrants who are finding it hard to get a job. Posted before my best friend and her husband have both lost their jobs in the last month or so and they have not found new ones either.

Its not a new thing that agencies trawl around getting people on their books they have always done this. They have to keep their jobs too so need to keep their end up. You just have to keep at it and take anything its a start. Also taking anything gets feelers out into the community.

There are lots of jobs still in our local newspaper each week, when they stop appearing jobs have completely dried up but it has not happened this time around.

Medical profession lots of jobs, chefs they want lots of cooks and chefs, hairdressers.

Karen,

Hi suzer,

Regards

Karen

Hi Karen

I would chase up the TFN because they usually come through very quickly. You should call them up and find out what is happening.

Love

Rudi

x

Anybody who has sent 600 job applications is plainly just wallpapering the sits vacant page, wallpaper type applications stand out a MILE and always go in the bin, if you are spending less that 3 hours on an application then you are just not spending enough time on them, target and research are the key words, show in each application that you have targeted and researched the company and position.

Beware of internet advertised positions, the internet is very much a mixed blessing as in my experience you get a HUGE amount of rubbish applying for positions advertised on the internet, its a horrible job trying to weed out the decent applications when your email has just exploded with every loony in the country sending their poorly prepared CVs, I like to look for the positions that give a phone number of someone you can talk to, and beware of agencies, a large number of agency advertised positions are non existent, or just looking for ballast applications to strengthen a candidate they already want to place in the company.

I am currently looking for all expats in the Brisbane area who have come across the same kind of discrimination I have.

If you have had the usual....too qualified, not enough australian experience, under-qualified (to pack Xmas hampers for example :confused:), not "local" or no responses at all to your applications, drop me a line. I am currently looking for a position myself and have received almost 300 rejections and had only two interviews. This just isn't right and I am willing to do something about it!

I am looking at setting up a special association in Australian with a view to potentially setting up a Recruitment Agency for Expats...letting Aussie Employers know that just because you don't have Aussie experience doesn't mean you arent the best person for the job!

Please email me for details

Thanks and good luck!

Changing the world...a day at a time :smile:

yes. I have 1300 refusal letters....

Same stuff.

Archived