register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest jamesthedisciple

Moblie phone, payg or contract

Guest jamesthedisciple

My mobile is getting a bit old, was thinking of getting a new one.

Should I get a new payg/sim-free one here (UK) and get a contract sim in Oz (to help with credit ratings?) or pasg sim?

Or wait till I get out to Oz and buy a payg and contract sim or free/cheep phone with contract sim, or payg phone and sim?

I think that covers all the options!

Thanx for you patience

James

PS. Orange are doing the blackberry 8900 payg 4 250 quid (Is this advertising and is it allowed?)

My mobile is getting a bit old, was thinking of getting a new one.

Should I get a new payg/sim-free one here (UK) and get a contract sim in Oz (to help with credit ratings?) or pasg sim?

Or wait till I get out to Oz and buy a payg and contract sim or free/cheep phone with contract sim, or payg phone and sim?

I think that covers all the options!

Thanx for you patience

James

PS. Orange are doing the blackberry 8900 payg 4 250 quid (Is this advertising and is it allowed?)

You might find that you dont have enough points to set up a contract here and so may have to go payg at least for a little while. You will probably also find that the range of phones in UK is bigger than here - UK seems to get the latest models before we do so unless you want an iphone then you could get yourself a payg there, get it unlocked (important point, it's much harder to get them unlocked here), keep the sim current in case you go home for a holiday (cheaper than international roaming!) and then buy an Aus payg sim when you get here with your nice fancy phone. Blackberrys are a different ballgame, I think you have to get blackberry contracts here but if you dont have enough points you could be stymied. I also dont know about getting blackberries unlocked so you can move to an Aus network. That might be worth checking.