Parents of Junior members - Warning

ali

Hi Everyone,

I try to go through the young section as often as I can, but don't always catch every message or thread.

Generally there isn't a problem, but we've had one young lad whose given out his email and msn addy in almost every post - so I have deleted the address, not sure his mum or dad know if he's registered or not - so just a reminder if you could to check with your youngsters to make sure their using the site as safely as they can be and not posting any addys. Also, if you notice they have been posted, please give myself or one of the other mods a shout as we can edit posts. Thank you Mrs Keily and Kdal for your words of wisdom about safety on the young peoples threads.

Thanks

Ali x

Guest Gollywobbler
Thanks Cal, I forgot to make it a sticky thread (in a rush this morning)

Ali

Hi Ali

Thank you.

Not having any children myself, and since I confine my own efforts with the Internet to things like PiO and the DIAC website, I was really unsure what (if anything) to do about young Jack yesterday.

The child appears to have registered with the site independently of his Parents.

I would join with Ali, Jo & Cal in urging ALL adult Members of PIO to keep an eye on your children's use of the site.

Cheers

Gill

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest AnnabelCandy

My kids always send emails using loads and I mean loads of animated smiley type things which mean their emails end up in the junk mail bin! A bit sad, I am trying to get them out of it:)

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I got a pm today off one of our parents informing me that one of our junior members was initially contacted via the pm facility of the site. I don't know if this person pretended to be another junior member, but msn address was given out and our junior member was subject to rather intimidating messages and trying to get an address.

Can I ask parents to be extra cautious, ask your children who use the site if they have received any innappropriate messages, remind them of internet safety and please pass on any information to us.

Ali

• 3 weeks later...
Guest AnnabelCandy

:wub:They sound like minimalists compared to my lad!!:):cry:

Well, I am only allowed to include 2 images here (what spoil sports) but imagine this to the power of ten:)

• 3 months later...
Guest sh7t man no way
Whoa, that is not nice. Bumping this up for you - it perhaps needs to be stickied for a while.

to right quoll-----i can feel my anger rising whilst writing this--- is there anyway to keep ali,s thread at the top of this forum----- i will keep coming back to this thread just to bump it up:mad:

• 6 months later...
Guest Bubblez

I know this is an old thread, so I hope it's alright if I post. I feel very strongly about this.

I think too many young children are never taught that the internet isn't just inside their home. I think too many kids think it's "private" and "safe" and they don't realize that MILLIONS of people are out there that can get their info.

Even I as a child accidentally gave out my phone number or something of that nature online and my dad was freaking out. I think he had just expected me to know better so he felt terrible. Nothing bad came of it but still.. it's better to talk to your kids and be safe. Better safe than sorry.

have fun kids!:cute:

Hi Bubblez,

I never feel that it does any harm to post on old threads like this as it really is an important topic. My 10 year old is now venturing into the cyber world and we have this discussion a lot. Even on PIO we don't know everyone and people don't have to be a member to view the boards so it's upto us to keep trying to get the message of internet safety accross to those younger members who use the site.

Thanks for your contribution to the thread ... it's a really important one xx

• 4 months later...

Nightmare my daughter has just started on this site looking for friends before we move to Perth at the end of the year. I will keep a close eye on her she is quite responsible but still would not like her to be in that position?

• 2 months later...
Guest shirlypeng

I wonder what kind of message is considered to be dangerous message? For i have ever sent sveral meaages through PM. I am afraid of mine become one of those innappropriate messages. Dear, Ali, please let me knwo.

Inappropriate messages would be anything that is sent to one of our younger members that is explict/sexual in nature. We would be concerned if someone was trying to get lots of personal information from our younger members too. We ask that parents be aware of their childrens activity on the forum, know their passwords so they can check any personal messages etc.,

Ali

Archived