good removal firm?

Guest lee n sar

Guest lee n sar

Hi All

Have just sold my house , got my visa last year and now would like some advice on the best way to ship my stuff over. Any good ideas?

cheers Lee

Guest rmlx26

We are in the same position, moving to Queensland in October. We are having our stuff shipped over with Wentworth International Removers, they were by far the cheapest and someone else on here had used them and said they were good! Hope this helps

Guest lee n sar

Thanks for the advice. I will get in touch with them.

What sort of costs were involved for you? Did you have a large crate?

Moving a large four beds amount of stuff.

Were heading queensland too so might see you there:biggrin:

Guest rmlx26

We are also moving 4 bed house, but not fridge etc. We were quoted £4200 for a 20 ft container. If you find one cheaper please let us know! I dont suppose you are moving to Cairns are you, everyone seems to be going to Brisbane.

Guest lee n sar

Thanks for that.

Heading sunshine coast area.

Did you get any other quotes or just that one?

Have a feeling i need a 40 footer, should still be cheaper than buying new stuff though.

Should be leaving end of august. Good times!:cool:

Guest bentkitty

We are also about to get quotes and I have been doing some research re: the good ones to get quotes from, and what to ask. See below. There are lots of posts in the transport section of the forum with people giving feedback . I saw a few negatives on White & CO and Anglo Pacific (somoene called it Anglo Pathetic) but also lots of positives on them too. Just reading the forum feedback John Mason seem to be getting universally positive comments.

John Mason

PSS

Anglo Pacific

Pickfords

Doree Bonner

Simpsons

Crown Relocations

White & Company

things to ask when they come around to give a quote:

- check if company is covered by the BAR (British Association of Removers) Overseas Financial Guarantee (IMMI) and will issue you with a IMMI certificate. Regular BAR membership (ie within UK) not sufficient, needs to be overseas covered.

- ask what rate insurance is charged out at, and if they allow you to go to a third party insurer (typically a lot cheaper)

- ask if they use an agent in Australia or if they have their own branch (there is a risk of poorer service if using an independent agent)

- ask if they charge for storage at either end or not

Oh and dont forget to haggle them off against each other!!

Guest lee n sar

Thanks ,nice one.

Gonna get them round to quote as worried that i may under/over estimate what i need.

Cheers Lee

Guest Fulwood
We are also about to get quotes and I have been doing some research re: the good ones to get quotes from, and what to ask. See below. There are lots of posts in the transport section of the forum with people giving feedback . I saw a few negatives on White & CO and Anglo Pacific (somoene called it Anglo Pathetic) but also lots of positives on them too. Just reading the forum feedback John Mason seem to be getting universally positive comments.

John Mason

PSS

Anglo Pacific

Pickfords

Doree Bonner

Simpsons

Crown Relocations

White & Company

things to ask when they come around to give a quote:

- check if company is covered by the BAR (British Association of Removers) Overseas Financial Guarantee (IMMI) and will issue you with a IMMI certificate. Regular BAR membership (ie within UK) not sufficient, needs to be overseas covered.

- ask what rate insurance is charged out at, and if they allow you to go to a third party insurer (typically a lot cheaper)

- ask if they use an agent in Australia or if they have their own branch (there is a risk of poorer service if using an independent agent)

- ask if they charge for storage at either end or not

Oh and dont forget to haggle them off against each other!!

We had three companies quote us:

John Masons (Very nice guy)

Anglo Pacific (very professional although the most expensive)

Pickfords (slightly more than Masons but bartered down!)

All of them assessed our 'stuff' as the same amount and quoted on the same volume. Pickfords did the most follow up and we even got a letter from Pickford Australia who explained what they would do for us once our container arrived in Adelaide.

Pickfords were slightly more than Masons, but they included a months free storage in port. I then managed to negotiate them down and they are now cheaper than Masons!

As Bentkitty said - definitely haggle!

Guest JulieE

Hi

We're off to Brisbane later this year, and have just had a quote from a company called Simpsons for approx £4200 for a 40 ft container (furniture and a car). Best quote we've had so far - does any one have any comments about them? We moved from UK to NZ a few yrs ago and used John Mason - we had no end of problems and huge amounts of water damage and a prolonged battle to get any money to cover the damage. Had to threaten court action. Would never consider using them again. We came back from Oz earlier this yr (yes, we do get itchy feet quite often) and used Chess, I would recommend them to link with in Australia, very professional, no complaints and a fair price.

Archived