The All New Fishing Thread

Guest Working to fish

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bom tide predictions for Australia

BoM - Oceanographic Services

Queensland impoundment water levels

SunWater - water business providing services from bulk water supply to water and infrastructure management and consultancy

NSW impoundment water levels

Individual storage reports: NSW Water Information

Sea surface temperatures

Point n click sea surface temperature

Qld fishing rules and possession limits

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/dpi/hs.xsl/28_2981_ENA_HTML.htm

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Working to fish

Mooloolaba saturday

morning 15/20 knots

afternoon 20/25 knots

evening 25/30 knots

Already a high sea warning in place :cry:

eddie.:mad:

Hi all

I've noticed alot of the fish in your pictures appear to be dead. Do you eat them or just throw in the bin? Please forgive my ingorance.

Guest Working to fish
Hi all

I've noticed alot of the fish in your pictures appear to be dead. Do you eat them or just throw in the bin? Please forgive my ingorance.

I wouldn't know none of them are my pics but i strongly suspect that most of them are well and truely eaten.

eddie

Guest guest30038
Hi all

I am not one of the "catch and release brigade". I don't put fish though distress purely for "sport". I hunt "for the pot" and not for"sport", and eat most of what I catch. there are, of course, unfortunate by-catch such as turtles, but these are released with the minimum of harm caused. Even sting rays, which are frowned on as "vermin" here, are no different (in flavour), than the skate that are sold on fishhmongers slabs in the UK. Shark (Flake), and shovel nose ray, differer little in taste to the "rock salmon" that are sold in the UK which are really dog fish......a member of the shark family

kev

Guest Working to fish

A happy moment.

Just to show my ignorance when i first got to oz i got my rod out and was well chuffed to be fishing off the bank in the passage, caloundra, but a word of warning, its worth buying a fishing book/guide before you go casting your rod in ozzie water.

There i stood chuffed to bits with a fish that i just caught only to be told by afrielndly ozzie who was standing not far from me "dont touch that bloody fish". Little did i know then if id have got hold of it with my bare hands i would have known about it, they give off a very nasty and painful sting, so many thanks to that guy who taught me a lesson. you live and learn.

The fish in question is called a happy moment.

eddie:eek:

I am not one of the "catch and release brigade". I don't put fish though distress purely for "sport". I hunt "for the pot" and not for"sport", and eat most of what I catch. there are, of course, unfortunate by-catch such as turtles, but these are released with the minimum of harm caused. Even sting rays, which are frowned on as "vermin" here, are no different (in flavour), than the skate that are sold on fishhmongers slabs in the UK. Shark (Flake), and shovel nose ray, differer little in taste to the "rock salmon" that are sold in the UK which are really dog fish......a member of the shark family

kev

Used to call it Scarboro woof right side of the rocks

A happy moment.

Just to show my ignorance when i first got to oz i got my rod out and was well chuffed to be fishing off the bank in the passage, caloundra, but a word of warning, its worth buying a fishing book/guide before you go casting your rod in ozzie water.

There i stood chuffed to bits with a fish that i just caught only to be told by afrielndly ozzie who was standing not far from me "dont touch that bloody fish". Little did i know then if id have got hold of it with my bare hands i would have known about it, they give off a very nasty and painful sting, so many thanks to that guy who taught me a lesson. you live and learn.

The fish in question is called a happy moment.

eddie:eek:

Went to a local marina wi our lass was nt fishin:sad: but ther were some poms with their kids fishin , the kids were hookin little uns and takin em off , daft soda(parents did not thta they were blowies (toadies blowfish ) they are poisonous ,even the feral cats dont go near , had a kindly word , could have been some poorly bin lids had they not cleaned there hands

mally

wish es he was going to wedge to fish this weekend

Guest Mystery^Customer1974

I was catching Blowies at Hillarys Boat Harbour a few weeks ago and got told by an ex pat that even the seagulls won't touch them!!!!

Fun to catch and even more fun to watch as they inflate (my son was very impressed by them!)

BUT unless you are VERY well versed in how to cook them you just do not even attempt anything other than taking the hook out as they are so poisonous that if eaten they can be fatal!!!!!

You have been warned!

I am a freshwater fan but unless you have people in the know then you could be in for a fruitless search for freshwater fishing!!!!

Perch or as they are known in Asutralia are known as Redfin or Redfin Perch or British Perch and are pretty much hated as are carp or any of that genus!!!!

The reasons are many and as a keen angler in the UK I still find the thought of being expected to kill a possible 20 LB carp or an 8 LB Perch as a difficult task!!!!!

But anyway fishing is huge here so go and enjoy it but take a look at some of the publications available first regarding species etc to avoid poisoning yourself or your family ;)

Pete

kev

Hi Kev

I'm a coarse fisherman which means I fish for the sport not table and coarse fish do return ok if handled correctly, and they taste terrible! I know that from when me and my mates went camping when we were kids.

Do the fish you are catching not return very well? and are better off being dispatched because I would find that hard to do unless I was going to eat it. As you may know the carp is king in the uk with 30lb+ being worth thousands and the people who fish for them camp out for days and name known fish, which are caught several times a year?? not for me.

We also have the commercial fishery. Most are over stocked holes in the ground where you can do 100lb of small carp in an hour, boring. Any way the river season started on the 16th June so I'm sorted. Fishing the feeder on the Great Ouse tomorrow after the bream. Proper fishing.

Hi Kev

I'm a coarse fisherman which means I fish for the sport not table and coarse fish do return ok if handled correctly, and they taste terrible! I know that from when me and my mates went camping when we were kids.

Do the fish you are catching not return very well? and are better off being dispatched because I would find that hard to do unless I was going to eat it. As you may know the carp is king in the uk with 30lb+ being worth thousands and the people who fish for them camp out for days and name known fish, which are caught several times a year?? not for me.

We also have the commercial fishery. Most are over stocked holes in the ground where you can do 100lb of small carp in an hour, boring. Any way the river season started on the 16th June so I'm sorted. Fishing the feeder on the Great Ouse tomorrow after the bream. Proper fishing.

G'day mate, on the fresh water side, in south east Australia, fishos prefer to kill 'n'grill the bigger fish, such as murray cod, yellowbelly and redfin. Crap are usually knocked on the head and thrown up on the bank. Hard to believe the erosion that crap cause with their mud-sucking habits...

(noxious fish http://www.feral.org.au/feral_documents/National%20noxious%20fish%20list.pdf)

Main reason for killing noxious fish is the disease they can carry and the way they compete with the native fish that have evolved in a pristine area for millions of years.

In the north of Australia, freshwater fish are released 98% of the time, reason is the poor quality eating compared to sea fish, Also, the sheer size of some of the barramundi. I have seen 50 lb barra stinking on the bank of a lake where a small fillet was taken off to satisfy the whim of some "fishos".

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest guest30038
Hi Kev

Hi Mate,

I coarse fished in the UK, my main pastime being swing-tipping for bream. I also had a boat and fished the Fylde Coast.............a trip to Barrow from Blackpool was considered a fair exploit as was fishing the Lune Deeps for skate and tope. I also used to do regular weekenders up to Gair Loch and Loch Long for the 30lb cod that were abundant back then.

It depends on the depth here as to how fish fare when returned to the water. I've known guys who will patiently manually swim a fish alongside their boat for up to 15 minutes to make sure it is ok before releasing.

Most released fish are accidental by-catch when targetting another species ie you may have caught your legal bag limit of snapper but fish on hoping to catch a few pearlies or trag jew and catch another snapper. Having already caught your limit as defined by fisheries reulations, the snapper must be released even if it is at death's door.

This is a vid of my first trip in my first boat here in Oz...........huge shovel nose shark (they're actually a ray but everyone calls 'em shark.......sounds more "romantic")

I got the nickname of "The Veminator" due to my constant catches of fish that the Aussies consider vermin bait stealers such as rays, shark, and big catfish............my missus will eat anything that comes from the water so they were fair game to me and if nothing else, kept the kids entertained. :jiggy:It pays sometimes if you do catch something that should be returned, at least that way, the kids learn something about conservation and the best way to release something like a turtle..........I never use stainless hooks so that if I have to snip the trace near the turtles mouth, the hook will at least rust out.

Fishing for me wouldn't be half so attractive if it wasn't a family affair, although I do like to get out once in a while entirely alone. trouble is, i've got a knackered back and pulling the anchor doesn't do me any favours, so solo trips are pretty rare nowadays. One of these shovel nose went 3 metres!

[YOUTUBE]E8GHQSyn4HY[/YOUTUBE]

Guest Working to fish
Mooloolaba saturday

morning 15/20 knots

afternoon 20/25 knots

evening 25/30 knots

eddie./QUOTE]

How wrong can the weatherman or internet be ,today was a very calm day ,no wind and not much sea swell .The caloundra Bar was flat as a pan cake and there were no white caps to be seen in the sea at all.

So missed a great days fishng out to sea ,thanks very much mr weatherman :cry:

eddie

Mooloolaba saturday

morning 15/20 knots

afternoon 20/25 knots

evening 25/30 knots

eddie./QUOTE]

How wrong can the weatherman or internet be ,today was a very calm day ,no wind and not much sea swell .The caloundra Bar was flat as a pan cake and there were no white caps to be seen in the sea at all.

So missed a great days fishng out to sea ,thanks very much mr weatherman :cry:

eddie

BIT ROYGH ON THE WEST BUT CANT GETY OUT STORM WARNINGS BOO

Hi Bobj

Just looked at the noxious fish list, jesus long enough! Am I right in thinking these fish are not native to Austrailia and are upsetting the ecology? and do you have kill them when caught? We have a problem with american signal crayfish which are spreading like widefire. They eat pretty everything fish spawn encluded so on some rivers you get huge chub and barbel which have fed on the crayfish, but no juveniles so time will tell.

Cormorant's are an even bigger problem. A local lake I used to fish was wiped out of siliver fish in two seasons and you still can't catch a roach there 15 years later, plus the influx of eastern europeans who eat coarse fish especially carp and have blatantly poach waters.

Anyway fished the Ouse today nothing but a few bits, maybe the crays, cormorants and poles have eat them all.

Lance.

Hi Kev

Very nice! I know those fish also as shovel nosed ray aswell as guitar fish. If we ever get our visas looking foward to trying a differant way of fishing. Is sport always that good? and what is meant by a high sea and why does it stop you from going out?

Cheers Lance.

Hi Bobj

Just looked at the noxious fish list, jesus long enough! Am I right in thinking these fish are not native to Austrailia and are upsetting the ecology? and do you have kill them when caught? We have a problem with american signal crayfish which are spreading like widefire. They eat pretty everything fish spawn encluded so on some rivers you get huge chub and barbel which have fed on the crayfish, but no juveniles so time will tell.

Cormorant's are an even bigger problem. A local lake I used to fish was wiped out of siliver fish in two seasons and you still can't catch a roach there 15 years later, plus the influx of eastern europeans who eat coarse fish especially carp and have blatantly poach waters.

Anyway fished the Ouse today nothing but a few bits, maybe the crays, cormorants and poles have eat them all.

Lance.

G'day mate, the noxious fish are mainly through the aquarium trade. The Australian states have dirrering laws regards killing the noxious species.

Heard about the signal cray and the destruction it causes.

Cormorants, or as we say, shags, present the same problems in Australia, but not to the extent that you mention. Have seen flocks in the SE Qld dams (Glen Lyon Dam) where there might be 500 birds fishing in one area, but they target the small boney bream, which are not targeted by fishos; indeed, it's almost impossible to catch a boney bream.

Waiting until the weather warms up again before I go barra fishing in the local dam. Water is only 20 deg C and need about 27 C to trigger them into taking lures. Still, the mack attack is starting up along the coast, so we get some decent fishing in and some nice fillets.:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest guest30038
Hi Kev

Very nice! I know those fish also as shovel nosed ray aswell as guitar fish. If we ever get our visas looking foward to trying a differant way of fishing. Is sport always that good? and what is meant by a high sea and why does it stop you from going out?

Cheers Lance.

Hi Lance,

Sport changes with the seasons. Winter in SE Qld means reef fish such as snapper, summer sees an influx of migratory pelagics such as mackerel. There can be some blank days, particularly as the seasons change and one fish departs, whilst another moves in, but in general, there are always the permanent residents to target.

Shark, rays etc all always here which although I don't relish targetting, they are a handy fall-back when things are quiet, to keep the kids occupied and keen.

Depends on the size of your boat as to what are high seas............a catamaran of similar size will outride a mono hull as will a glass boat over one made of ally. The boat in the above vids was a 20ft ally which although fantastically stable at rest (flat bottom to stern) was a poor ride in rough seas. The Whittley sea legend, a glass boat of the same size with 23d dead rise was a fantastic ride in the chop, but rolled like buggery at anchor. I now have a 5.49 stacer nomad which tries to make the best of both, although i wouldn't consider going out in any wind over 15knotts.

Moreton Bay, although sheltered can often be more treachorous than going offshore as an outgoing or incoming tide, against a wind blowing from the opposite direction, can make the swell stand up. trouble is, you have to cross that bay to get to what may be a milder swell offshore. Anything approaching a 1.5 metre swell I would consider as "uncomfortable" due to the kids on board. Luckily, in the SE corner of qld, there is always shelter in the estuaries and rivers so that there is invariably at least somewhere that you can fish, irrespective of the wind.

You can see in this vid that although the Sea legend is classed as an excellent offshore rig, just how much it rolls at anchor, even in a relatively calm sea. It also shows that you should never trust sharks............no matter how small :biglaugh: Shot by my little feller so excuse the quality

[YOUTUBE]H_T6JbG17i0[/YOUTUBE]

kev

Guest Working to fish
Hi Lance,

en.

Depends on the size of your boat as to what are high seas............a catamaran of similar size will outride a mono hull

kev[/QUOT

Hi Kev

do you know why a cat will outride a momo hull ?

Been trying to get my head around that one.

cheers

eddie

Guest guest30038
Hi Lance,

en.

Depends on the size of your boat as to what are high seas............a catamaran of similar size will outride a mono hull

kev[/QUOT

Hi Kev

do you know why a cat will outride a momo hull ?

Been trying to get my head around that one.

cheers

eddie

A simplification is that it's like standing with your legs apart...........you are more stable than with your legs together............harder to push over. You also have the added safety of two engines should one fail. I tried driving a cat once...............they handle entirely differently to a mono and take some getting used to................if I could afford one though, It's be the go for me. I had a cathedral hull back in the UK and loved it.

kev

Archived