Working in Keilor Park (Where to live)

Guest magintz

Guest magintz

Firstly, hi everyone!

Okay, so I've just been offered a job in Keilor Park, Melbourne. Still living in the UK and don't know Melbourne at all. I'm currently not driving so I'm looking for a place that's either within a walking/cycling range or commutable by bus (I'm aware that the buses may still need me to walk/cycle from the stop).

Can anyone suggest somewhere to live. Ideally looking for a flat-share as it will just be me moving out there and am 23 years old (male) and a recent university graduate so not looking for family homes or posh neighbourhoods. Just somewhere safe, inexpensive and commutable without a car, although if I start work in a month I might be able to do some accelerated driving course to get myself driving as quickly as I can.

Also can anyone make suggestions on prices and if getting about without a car is even possible. The place I'll be working is about two miles (3.2km) off Keilor Park Drive. I haven't accepted the job yet but hope to have a decision ASAP.

Any advice welcome, and thanks in advance :)

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi

Welcome to PIO and congratulations on the job offer. For cheap accommodation, ie house/flat share you could try looking on Melbourne Gumtree, however, be warned there are a lot of scam artists on there so maybe try and ask for proof that they actually own or rent the accommodation you are interested in, either by getting them to fax a utility bill or the rates notice.

In regards to commuting for work, to be honest it is hard to get around Melbourne without a car, however take a look at this link Viclink Journey Planner - Your guide to public transport in Victoria and it will help you plan your journey by advising if you need to catch the train, bus, tram or walk from point A to point B.

Archived