I am looking forward to...

Guest Impatient

Guest Impatient

Oh, I have no worries for myself, I just always find it amazing that people are quick to challenge someone on the things they write without any sort of perspective about that person. Wierd the way that people need to disect my list and criticise it rather than add to it. Of course, they are totally entitled to do so, and I find it interesting that they do, even if not interested in what they have to say or tempted to go into more detail to explain myself.

They are the things that I am looking forward to. They are all within reach and made easier by a move to Australia. Shame the spirit of the thread has turned into a negative 'well you can't have it, because I say so' spirit. Hey ho, that is the way some people are. Methinks some people take themselves too seriously.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest June Pixie
Wierd the way that people need to disect my list and criticise it rather than add to it.

Erm... Is it too late to add that I wanna learn to surf? Something I tried to do at Whitley Bay but it was freezing.

I enjoyed reading your post by the way.

Guest Impatient

Surf away my girl. Not the same in a wetsuit, I totally agree. Just spent a week in Wales and had to get wetsuits for my kids so they could play in the sea for more than 10 minutes.

(watch out though, someone will tell you that you are not allowed to try unless they say you can!)

I not saying any more on the subject, sorry if i offended anyone, my humour obviously is not to all tastes.

ZippedMouth-749262.gif

Guest guest17301
I not saying any more on the subject, sorry if i offended anyone, my humour obviously is not to all tastes.

ZippedMouth-749262.gif

Bite me..:cute:

Hi Mr Imp!

Not into sports myself, but I've known loads of expats who support the local team in their chosen country..........b u t , not sure if they'd support the national team in that country. I guess the national team is supposed to be the 'best' your nation can produce and therefore kind of represents you. So by that token, if you become an Australian citizen, is the Australian national team representing you???

Would you find a Pakistani living in England supporting the English cricket team??

Would you find a French person living in England/Wales supporting the English or Welsh rugby team??

It's up to you and what you feel comfortable with isn't it?

I took it as a wish/dream list and I'm glad you posted it, I think you might be in a minority for thinking it, but so what?

Sue x

Oh, I have no worries for myself, I just always find it amazing that people are quick to challenge someone on the things they write without any sort of perspective about that person. Wierd the way that people need to disect my list and criticise it rather than add to it. Of course, they are totally entitled to do so, and I find it interesting that they do, even if not interested in what they have to say or tempted to go into more detail to explain myself.

They are the things that I am looking forward to. They are all within reach and made easier by a move to Australia. Shame the spirit of the thread has turned into a negative 'well you can't have it, because I say so' spirit. Hey ho, that is the way some people are. Methinks some people take themselves too seriously.

I'm not really having a go but due to it being a forum I thought I'd ask what you mean.

Follow your dream's if you want a better life, Australia could be the answer.

I think your heart will decide who you'll support.

Any way a bit of banter is good for the heart.

Good Luck

John

I

Guest Impatient
Australia may well be able to offer alot of wonderfull things but it wont I don't believe be able to change your personalty.

Don't understand what you mean by an Aussie wanabe. If I drink French wine does that make me a French Wanabe.

How long have you spent in the UK not being able to do simple things. You only have your self to blame if you chose not too.

If you try and keep up with the Jones in the UK what make's you think you'll not try to keep up with them in Australia.

John

John

sometimes tone does not come across well, but to answer your questions:

In this country I drink Aussie wine because I want to get close to the country and it makes me feel closer to the end goal somehow. As a self-declared Aussie wannabee I drink Aussie wine almost exclusively to try and find what I like. Was judging myself as a saddo!

The simple things will be easier when there are less pressures of work (as there will be, my circumstances will be very different) and the weather is better. Last Summer was a complete washout and our garden furniture hardly got used.

I don't try to keep up but feel there is pressure to conform over here. Moving from one career to something different will give me the chance to drop out of the rat race and do what is important to me. This is just such a giant change (not necessarily associated directly with moving, I admit) that I am very excited; hence my list.

lol, and I was not going to explain myself...Take care, Imp

John

sometimes tone does not come across well, but to answer your questions:

In this country I drink Aussie wine because I want to get close to the country and it makes me feel closer to the end goal somehow. As a self-declared Aussie wannabee I drink Aussie wine almost exclusively to try and find what I like. Was judging myself as a saddo!

The simple things will be easier when there are less pressures of work (as there will be, my circumstances will be very different) and the weather is better. Last Summer was a complete washout and our garden furniture hardly got used.

I don't try to keep up but feel there is pressure to conform over here. Moving from one career to something different will give me the chance to drop out of the rat race and do what is important to me. This is just such a giant change (not necessarily associated directly with moving, I admit) that I am very excited; hence my list.

lol, and I was not going to explain myself...Take care, Imp

Imp

I hope you find your dream. Thngs are not so difrent in Aus. I said the same thing as you. I wanted a new carrear and was not going to get sucked into any rat race again. But I found the Aussies more materialistic than us, and I suppose it's down to you if you choose to keep up with the Jones or not. But when I see all the loveley things Aus has to offer I wanted them. I could have been Morgadge free but with trying to keep up with the Jones I would have been in Dept and that is not what I wanted in my Aussie dream. At least hear I can afford to keep up with the Jones.

They have only got a two bedroom house and a car, and a pond.

I must say Mrs Jones does have a nice Bum.

Good Luck hope all works well for you.

Guest slipshot

Good thread this.

However, Impatient, good for you to embrace although I do not agree with your views. For me, I'll always be English no matter where I live, and would hate to ever lose that. My best mate here in Aus is nearly 40, but he moved here when he was 9 years old, and still considers himself English.

I suppose some people's concern is that you are throwing yourself almost too far into the 'I want to be Australian' concept without actually having experienced it... you still have bills to pay, and the weather is nicer when you pay those bills

But that should not stop you doing anything in the UK if you want to - you can change jobs in the UK, and guess what, you can buy a big stainless steel BBQ in the UK. You'll use it more in Aus, and the weather makes life good, but it creates it's own issues.

I wish you well, but do have issues with people that are so willing to renounce a country that has given them a life up to now, on the basis that Australia is better. It's different. That's it.

Wait till you realise how you have to pay for everything here when you are used to getting stuff free in the UK and you'll see how you start to compare. It's a bugger to have to pay to go to the dump every time you drop stuff off, you have to pay for the doctors every time. And the dentist - and the dentist is WAY more expensive than the NHS.

Everywhere is different - please don't come here and be the Brit with the massive chip on their shoulder that the UK is crap all the time as it's not nice to hear from anyone...

Guest Impatient
I suppose some people's concern is that you are throwing yourself almost too far into the 'I want to be Australian' concept without actually having experienced it... you still have bills to pay, and the weather is nicer when you pay those bills

I do want to be Australian, I want my children to be Australian and I want to pay Australian bills. I have to want to be something otherwise I would sit here for the rest of my life and do nothing. I have never said I have a problem with the UK in general (as I believe Oz will be much the same in many ways, better in some, worse in others), just that it does not inspire me. Who knows, I may hate Oz and realise that I love being English and return - then the journey will have been equally worthwhile.

But that should not stop you doing anything in the UK if you want to - you can change jobs in the UK, and guess what, you can buy a big stainless steel BBQ in the UK. You'll use it more in Aus, and the weather makes life good, but it creates it's own issues.

I don't let being in the UK stop me doing anything, but it is absolutely certain that my lifestyle would be different. That is an opportunity thing, again, nothing anti-UK. What is the point of having a giant BBQ if I don't get to use it (last summer a perfect example)?

I wish you well, but do have issues with people that are so willing to renounce a country that has given them a life up to now, on the basis that Australia is better. It's different. That's it.

Agreed, it is different. Similarly to your issue, I have issues with people that expect me to feel like I owe something to this country. I am grateful for the upbringing I have had, but conversley I have made a full and active and tangible contribution to the UK throughout my life - realising I want to try something different should not offend anyone.

Wait till you realise how you have to pay for everything here when you are used to getting stuff free in the UK and you'll see how you start to compare.

Free? My pay packet deductions say something different. But anyway, I have not raised money in this thread, it is something I have researched and am comfortable with - that is my problem, but unlikely to be an issue.

Everywhere is different - please don't come here and be the Brit with the massive chip on their shoulder that the UK is crap all the time as it's not nice to hear from anyone...

Never said it was crap chap, just not ready to commit the rest of my life to it and want to try something else. No chips here as I don't tend to look backwards, only forwards. If Oz cannot give me what I want from life, I will look elsewhere, including the UK. But it is a small world and there are lots of things to try....

Really interesting to read these replies questionning my approach. We are all different, this is me and I make no apologies for feeling the way I do about the future. In my view it is a positive approach to the rest of my life. If people don't like it, then that is their problem and it says more about them than it does about me. All views remain welcome and my responses above are to clarify my position and should not be taken as an argument - I won't change based on your views and I do not seek to win you over to my point of view. We are who we are, motivated differently with different beliefs and values. Good luck to all.

These forums are really useful in that we can all share what we are feeling in a way that we would not normally.

Guest guest17301

For what it's worth Impatient your attitude sounds a little like mine and we are here and loving it-you will too. Be lucky x

Guest slipshot
I do want to be Australian, I want my children to be Australian and I want to pay Australian bills. I have to want to be something otherwise I would sit here for the rest of my life and do nothing. I have never said I have a problem with the UK in general (as I believe Oz will be much the same in many ways, better in some, worse in others), just that it does not inspire me. Who knows, I may hate Oz and realise that I love being English and return - then the journey will have been equally worthwhile.

I don't let being in the UK stop me doing anything, but it is absolutely certain that my lifestyle would be different. That is an opportunity thing, again, nothing anti-UK. What is the point of having a giant BBQ if I don't get to use it (last summer a perfect example)?

Agreed, it is different. Similarly to your issue, I have issues with people that expect me to feel like I owe something to this country. I am grateful for the upbringing I have had, but conversley I have made a full and active and tangible contribution to the UK throughout my life - realising I want to try something different should not offend anyone.

Free? My pay packet deductions say something different. But anyway, I have not raised money in this thread, it is something I have researched and am comfortable with - that is my problem, but unlikely to be an issue.

Never said it was crap chap, just not ready to commit the rest of my life to it and want to try something else. No chips here as I don't tend to look backwards, only forwards. If Oz cannot give me what I want from life, I will look elsewhere, including the UK. But it is a small world and there are lots of things to try....

Really interesting to read these replies questionning my approach. We are all different, this is me and I make no apologies for feeling the way I do about the future. In my view it is a positive approach to the rest of my life. If people don't like it, then that is their problem and it says more about them than it does about me. All views remain welcome and my responses above are to clarify my position and should not be taken as an argument - I won't change based on your views and I do not seek to win you over to my point of view. We are who we are, motivated differently with different beliefs and values. Good luck to all.

These forums are really useful in that we can all share what we are feeling in a way that we would not normally.

All fair. All the very best to you, and thanks for the clarification. Maybe I jumped the gun a bit. Apologies...

Sometimes hate it when people are willing to dump on the UK for a better life, but have never actually experienced a better life - the rose tinnted specs etc.

I understand your views and hope things work out for you when do get here. Best of British and all that!

Guest AnnabelCandy

Yes, it would be great if everyone could try life in Australia first. It's so sad to read about people who've moved here and don't like it. I'm aiming to give people a balanced view of life in Australia so they can avoid that here:

Migrating to and Networking in a Foreign Country « In the Hot Spot

There's lots to look forward to though. Good luck everyone!

Guest guest30038

Wait till you realise how you have to pay for everything here when you are used to getting stuff free in the UK and you'll see how you start to compare. It's a bugger to have to pay to go to the dump every time you drop stuff off, you have to pay for the doctors every time. And the dentist - and the dentist is WAY more expensive than the NHS.

I'm guessing from that para that when you say "everything" you mean "health" specifically? I'm also guessing that other parts of Oz must be way different than the SE corner of Qld because ratepayers get free tickets for the dump here, free access to art galleries, museums etc?

When I was over in the UK last June I was gob-smacked to find that you had to spend more than a penny to "spend a penny"...........that is.........if you can find a public convenience that remains open in the evenings. I was also astounded to see how willingly and without a grumble, the great British public are prepared to spend their hard-earned money simply to view what should be their right to view freely.........their heritage...........Stonehenge being just one of a perfect example of a rip-off that seemed all too common. We bought day tickets in advance for Blackpool Pleasure Beach and there was only 6 rides open! They didn't forewarn us when we bought the tickets. Car parking fees......unbelievable! I could spiel at great length re the many other examples of once free "public facilities" geared to taking not only visitors', but the ratepayer's money, (who have already funded those enterprises via their rates), but suffice to say, I don't know how the "powers that be" have been allowed to get away with it............I suppose Thatcher and her cronies must've put the fear of God up people at one time, and they haven't recovered, because everyone seemed to be "taking it on the chin."

Health here is expensive, but the medicare levy costs nowhere near as much as UK National Insurance Contributions as I remember them..........no doubt I will be corrected if I am wrong and things have changed. You also do not have to pay every time that you go to the doctor if you find one that bulk bills, and they are not rare here in Brizzy. It costs me $140 a month in scripts, just to stay alive, but I am comforted by the fact that this health service here was cracking me open within a week of me complaining of pins and needles in my hand..........no chest pain.........no shortness of breath.........no other indicators other than high cholesterol, but the good doctors spotted it. My memory of the UK health service would have me believing that if I'd have presented to my GP there, with nothing but pins and needles and high cholesterol, I would simply have been sent away with a cholesterol reducing prescription. The reason we came here in the first place is because my wife felt that in the UK, she couldn't nurse as she should be doing.

I must live in a different world to some POI members, because I find it way cheaper here in all aspects and that isn't just my perception, even my visitors from the UK comment on it.

Oh! One more thing. Those things that you do get for free in the UK? How long do you think that will last if the Tories win the next election? History has proven that whenever they get in, they make huge cuts to public expenditure and when they do, it's the working man/woman that has to find more to pay for health etc............and it's only round the corner 'cause Labour won't win the next election.

kev

Guest slipshot

Interesting - I guess shows how different cities have different prices.

Cost of living here in Melbourne is the same as back in warwickshire for us - food mostly on a par, somethings cheaper here (meat for example) some things more expensive (Internet, furniture for example). Dentists are way more expensive - have a crown on the NHS versus a crown in Australia and you can see a massive difference.

But you are correct - health is a key one. Very few doctors bulk bill here in Melbourne area so you have an advantage of being in Brisbane. Only one though ;-)

I love the fact here you don't have to pay ridiculous parking fees, Stonehenge are all very good examples. Although fortunately all museums are free in the UK - not so here.

It is swings and roundabouts though, and I know that, but I have to say our experience of Melbourne is that it is about the same as Warwickshire. Electricity is more expensive here than we paid int he UK, gas a bit cheaper. Exact comparisons.

I suppose the moral is that there is a north south divide everywhere you go - and Melbourne is a great city to live and we're happy here. But if you want to live cheaper places like Brisbane exist and are apparently cheaper so it can be done...

It is interesting that Melbourne is far closer in cost to Sydney now than it used to be - was a shock to us from being here in 2002 when we previously lived in Melbourne.

Maybe we should have a comparison list drawn up of the accepted standard of living lists and don one for each city or large conurbation and see how it matches. Things like bread, milk, a paper etc. Bet we'd see some interesting costs appearing...

Guest guest17301

I can buy a loaf of fresh bread form the market for $1.40, supposedly expensive in WA? Cheapest around $2 in supermarket. I buy chinese garlic-6 bulbs in a bag for 89c-ridiculously cheap. It's like anywhere you live-bargains to be had if you have the time/inclination to find them. I think people may initially find a place expensive because they haven't had the time to explore a bit and suss out where the locals buy their stuff from.

On the subject of the supposed 'free' NHS as has already been pointed out we paid 11% in N.I contributions-a huge amount across the year for our health costs-I think people forget that.

Guest slipshot

That is true Fiona. To the same extent though, depending on salary, one crown here in Australia could easily be some or all of that 11% that you paid to the NHS - and not spread over a year but in one hit. And it includes ambulance cover!

For all of it's foibles, the NHS is still a system that many countries aspire too, but population growth and maintenance means it's very difficult to ever properly contain or manage.

Guest guest30038
I can buy a loaf of fresh bread form the market for $1.40, supposedly expensive in WA? Cheapest around $2 in supermarket. I buy chinese garlic-6 bulbs in a bag for 89c-ridiculously cheap. It's like anywhere you live-bargains to be had if you have the time/inclination to find them. I think people may initially find a place expensive because they haven't had the time to explore a bit and suss out where the locals buy their stuff from.

On the subject of the supposed 'free' NHS as has already been pointed out we paid 11% in N.I contributions-a huge amount across the year for our health costs-I think people forget that.

Bloody hell! I didn't realise it was 11%. I wonder what the breakdown on that would be though? Some of it goes to Social Security Benefits and pensions I wonder what the percentage is that goes towards healthcare?

I think I'll start a thread called "find of the week" or some such, just to show the bargains that can be had in everyday shopping.

kev

Guest Impatient
All fair. All the very best to you, and thanks for the clarification. Maybe I jumped the gun a bit. Apologies...

Sometimes hate it when people are willing to dump on the UK for a better life, but have never actually experienced a better life - the rose tinnted specs etc.

I understand your views and hope things work out for you when do get here. Best of British and all that!

Thanks chap:hug:

Archived