Guest Andy PH

Andy's moved to Port Melbourne

Guest Andy PH

Hi everyone,

I have been here just over 2 weeks and I have fallen on my feet a bit, I have emigrated on my own - and I am sharing a flat in a nice place with an Australian lady. I am now looking to organise a social life, and someone who if I can be bold to suggest to meet up with for a drink and who can show me the good side of this beautiful city. I have no idea if there are lots of Poms in Oz in Melbourne, but I am guessing there are.

I am looking for work at the moment and hope to have that sorted very soon - ever the optimist.

If there is anyone, man or woman, as this is not a dating ad, who would be happy to show me around, I would be very grateful. If it helps you decide, I am in my 30's , single and from the West country.

I look forward to hearing from you. Do reply to this thread with some contact details and we can go from there.

Ta.

Guest mariayoung

Hi Andy,

I have also moved here on my own and been here just over 5 weeks. I am living in Preston, Melbourne where I am working and also keen to meet up with people and find my way about. I have met some people through work which has been good but keen to meet many and broaden my social circle.

I'd be happy to meet up in the city, prob weekend best as I'm busy during the week, not sure how much use I'd be in helping you find your way about thou although the drink sounds good.

Maria :smile:

I'd be happy to meet up and help but same as Maria would need to be a weekend.

OH and myself have been here for 2 years so I may be able to point you in some sort of direction as to where things are.

Let me know

Leanda

Welcome to Melbourne - just for your info:

A Brit pub in 2 locations:

The Elephant and Wheelbarrow

169 Fitzroy St

St Kilda (right on the beach)

and

95 Bourke St, Melbourne

www.elephantandwheelbarrow.com.au

You should find some Brits in there, in the summer it's standing room only outside on the footpath !

If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”

John Quincy Adams

Guest Rexi

Hello Andy!

I've been here for 2 and half years but been coming and going since 2002 - mainly working in the hospitality/adventure tours industry. What kinda thing are you interested in? Melbourne's got heaps going for it and some of them are even more exciting than a wheelbarrow full of elephants.

I've also lived on the mornington peninsula, in the city - the northern suburbs, way out east and to the west and travelled into central vic and been to the snow so I'm happy to talk about what I liked best about each of them. Must see if there's a job going at the vic tourist board while I'm at it!!

Welcome, good on ya for making the move and good luck either way

best wishes

Clare

Only mentioned the pub as a social drinking place, yes the city has lots going for it, I am a local, but not in the age group socially you guys are after. Enjoy our lovely city !

If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”

John Quincy Adams

Guest Andy PH

Maria,

I have not grasped how to send Private Messages and use this forum correctly - I have had several replies and would be delighted to meet you and the others.

I have been sent this link by James and Nicky which you may too wish to attend, and I hope to do so, work providing. I would be happy to meet you both at this occasion and separately but I am aware how that may sound.

Friday night Drinks - Melbourne : British Expat Discussion Forum

If you wish to discuss further my email is andyphicks@hotmail.co.uk.

Look forward to meeting you.

Guest Andy PH

Leanda (and OH),

I have not grasped how to send Private Messages and use this forum correctly - I have had several replies and would be delighted to meet you and the others.

I have been sent this link by James and Nicky which you may too wish to attend, and I hope to do so, work providing. I would be happy to meet you both at this occasion and separately but I am aware how that may sound.

Guest Andy PH

Olly,

I have not grasped how to send Private Messages and use this forum correctly - I have had several replies and appreciate the advice from all of you.

Re social age group - I dont have any issues - young or old, fat or thin etc, if you are good enough to send advice I assume you are good enough to accept a drink at some point.

Guest Andy PH

Rexi,

I assume you are in the tourism industry in some capacity. Cracking note!

My focus in the short term is on Melbourne and the CBD - I have digs in Port Melbourne and no real urge to buy a car as the transport links are so good in the city and suburbs. I am not sure at this stage I want to go any further than that until I settle into the city job, city life and all that that entails.

I am aware of the Mornington Peninsula and I have seen the Apostles within my first week of arriving - before one of them recently fell down - but as I say my focus is CBD and surrounding suburbs - finding good restaurants, social life and well I hope you get the picture...

Guest Kirkkenny

Kirk in Reservoir here, 38YO Brit married to Aussie lady been here 4 months now. That Friday meet-up looks good, especially Pugg Mahones which is the best pint of Guinness in melbourne.

I'm originally from Exeter, Andy PH small world huh?