Medicare access (with skilled migration visa)

Guest Greycat

Guest Greycat

Hi

I wonder if you can help. We obtained a skilled migration visa three years ago (full skilled migration, with sponsorship by a relative - subclass 138 - sponsored).

We are moving to NSW in October and are wondering whether we will be entitled to medical care under medicare when we arrive.

I thought there might be a clause saying you needed to have been resident for two years to claim, but am not sure (is this just social security benefits). If this clause exists, I also wondered what classified as residence and how this was tested (i.e. what documents you would need to indicate residence). We made our first entry to Australia 18 months ago but have not been living there.

Any help (links) with this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, Andrew

You will be covered under medicare because you will be a permanent resident. Even if you were on a temporary visa if you were a British national you would be covered by the reciprocal arrangement for necessary medical care.

The only waiting you will have to do - apart from the elective surgery waits which in some states are horrific - is if you choose to take out private health insurance (worth doing if you earn mega bucks otherwise you takes your chances) and there is usually a waiting period for some conditions - like pregnancy for example.

Guest Greycat

Many thanks for your quick and helpful reply - we feel much clearer. You don't by any chance know what you need to do when you arrive to get registered with medicare. We land on 6 Oct - on our way to Coffs Harbour.

Best wishes,

Greycat

Hey Greycat,

Have a look on this site RE medicare:

About Medicare - Medicare Australia

In order to register, we just downloaded and completed the application form from the website, and went in to a medicare office with our passports. We walked out with a temporary card, and a week later the actual card arrived in the post. Really easy, we phoned them first - and they explained where to find the forms and what to do etc. When in doubt, just give them a call - they are really helpful!!:laugh:

I believe you can apply online now, but am not sure how that all works.:eek:

Good luck

Jules

Archived