Anyone used Pickfords to move??

Suprised that Pickfords quote has come in the cheapest out of 6 - has anyone any good or bad experiences they care to share?!

Branch we will use in UK is Gateshead (Team Valley) and using 20' container, going to Sydney.

Cheers!

Hi Sydneysomewhere,

We used Pickfords and they were briiliant, I have not got a bad thing to say about them. They were very friendly and they pack are stuff very well. I only had one item broken and that was on old picture not worth anything but it could of been broken in customs who knows.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Thanks for that - did they more or less stick to timescales on delivery at the other end?? (They have said about 8-10 weeks)

And were there any add on costs (customs and all that)

Cheers

Guest Mikekat

We used pickfords, they were the more pricey in our group of quotes, but we felt so much more secure with the professional approach in comparison to the other companies. They were fantastic, from collection to delivery. We had regular updates throughout, and our haulage arrived sooner than we expected - in perfect order.

Everything was packed securely, they even individual wrapped power lead. The wrapping was so good, we recieved everything without even 1 breakage.

We would definitely recommend them to all.

Guest Mikekat

They sent us a letter for $178 in addition to the costs, in order for identified items to be made available for quarantine - we think this was our Bikes and kayaks.

The 8-10 week estimate was accurate in our case.

Guest bshootz

Hi we are using Pickfords, thought the guy who came to see us was very profesional and friendly, we were going to take all our stuff, but the quote was toooo much, and alot of ourfurniture is old and needs replacing or was given to us, so we have decided to take personal possessions and our boys toys/consoles.

We got a very good quote, they come on the 8th July to pack our stuff.....not long.

Beckyx

We have them coming out to give an estimate next week.

Isn't this exciting? (And scary!)

XXX

Annette, Steve, Ben and Buddy the dog.

<>< :wubclub:

Yes, very exciting!! We fly 16th July, only a month to go and so much to do! Mind, we (as a family) never had living in Oz down on our gameplan, so we are going to take it as it comes, hopefully all will go well and we will stay there (if they'll let us!!) THANK YOU everyone, seems as tho Pickfords as the ones to go with for us!

Guest whitleybairn

We're using Pickfords Gateshead branch. They have been nothing but excellent so far. Our stuff leaves the UK on Sunday and my wife and I are flying out on 19th July. If you use them, then you should have no worries. Their packers were excellent and friendly as have their office staff been. Good luck with the move!

Hi, yes they have been great so far but have just realised that altho we are using a 20' container, their quote is on volume, 800 and something cu metres, not it's full capacity purely based on when the guy looked round the house making notes. Have been back in touch asking how much it will be to fill it right up volume wise! Hopefully not much more!! We fly out on 16th July, haven't even arranged a date for them to come and pack yet, oh no, I feel so far behind with things!.....

Guest whitleybairn

We used a full container (we had a 3-bed terrace in W/Bay, so it was quite large and we had a lot of stuff). The price difference between having most of a container and a full container was only a couple of hundred quid for us. We paid for the full container (there is still a small amount of space left) as it is quicker to get there as you don't need to wait on someone else's stuff filling up the rest of the space before they send it on to Oz.

Our container is estimated to take about 5 weeks to arrive in Oz as the ship is going a more direct routing. Sometimes it can take longer depending on the ship's route. If you use a part container, it almost always will take longer.

We presumed we would have the sole use of container and wrongly presumed that we could just fill it with stuff we had planned to get rid of should there be space! We should have made it more clear that any space left we would fill, our faults. I think they made an inventory up and rigidly stuck to it. Will give them a ring and explain and hopefully it won't be too much more to fill it up! Maybes, like you, if it is just our stuff we can get the container at the other end quicker than original estimate! Fingers crossed. Is yours a 40' ??

Guest whitleybairn

If you pay for a full container, that should not be a prob. We turned up last week with the last few things to go in after having packed everything else up in April as it has been in storage since then.

To give you a guide, I think it was about £4k (excluding insurance) to get over there - that includes onward transportation to Canberra. Yours should be slightly cheaper if Sydney is your final destination. The part container cost we were quoted was about £3.7k (excluding insurance), so it was a no-brainer to pay the extra.

I'm pretty sure it was a 20 footer.

we are looking at Pickfords, and after a little bartering they are now looking like the best deal

However, what everyone's opinion on the marine transit insurance, it works out at 80p per cubic foot plus extra for expensive items, which for a 40' container comes to quite a lot.... probably in excess of £2000!!!

Guest whitleybairn

It's like any other insurance...a waste of money until you actually need to claim on it...can you afford to replace everything if something happens? If you can't, then I'd strongly recommend taking insurance. I know I certainly can't. You don't have to take the policy Pickords or any other removal firms offer. Try and barter them down on that, too. You never know. Do some research on marine insurance and you might find a better deal out there.

Some posts have been removed due to insults - others because they were responses and therefore out of context with the rest of the thread.

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Some posts have been removed due to insults - others because they were responses and therefore out of context with the rest of the thread.

yeah but you left the most insulting post there, go figure!

The post I assume you're referring to offerred an opinion about insurance and is in keeping with the rest of the thread. The moderating team agreed to delete the posts (not a unilateral decision).

Ali

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

We have them coming out tomorrow to give an estimate. But have just had a letter from the Australian arm of the business telling us that they do the unpacking and customs check of the container.

Surely not?

Does anyone know if this is true?

XXX

Annette, Steve, Ben and Buddy the dog.

<>< :wubclub:

We have them coming out tomorrow to give an estimate. But have just had a letter from the Australian arm of the business telling us that they do the unpacking and customs check of the container.

Surely not?

Does anyone know if this is true?

absolutely true, its clearly explained that this is the process in the pickfords documentation