Luggage Allowance

emmaroo

Hi

I know that if you are entering Oz on a PR visa you get more allowance but does anyone know if there is any way you can applyfor more if you are going in on a temp visa that could become permanent?

I am going on student visa but hope that afterwards I will be successfull in applying for PR and only have the basic allowance for travelling- not much when you are taking most if your wordly goods!

Thanks

Emma:cute:

Guest zedster

Good thread Emma. We too are facing the same dilemma as we're going on a 475 provisional and can only seem to get standard baggage allowance which is very frustrating because the visa is for 3 years and we intend on going for pr after 2 years there.

Would love to know if anyone has advice on this topic.

Hi,

I thought that it depends on the airline you fly with, not your VISA you are allocated. Be aware that you will get around 30kgs per person, thats all good and well but if you have to use domestics flights in Australia you will only be allowed 20Kgs per person then it's around $20 per Kilo over, you work out the maths.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Guest proud2beaussie

Emirates Airlines now offer 30KG per person in economy class,most other airlines still only offer 20KG,some offer 23 kg,depends on what sort of mood the check in clerk is in as to whether they

enforce the limit strictly or are flexible.

I advise packing only the absolute essentials- excess baggage charges can add up to more than the cost of the ticket if you happen to strike a check in person who isn't in the mood to be flexible.

Also be aware that due to health and safety regulations enforced strictly by the IATA no single piece of luggage can weigh more than 32KG.

Hi Emma

we came over 1 month ago on a temp visa, we flew with emirates who give 30kg. We bought an electronic luggage scale and managed to bring everything we would need until container arrives.

the holdalls were so heavy we could hardly lift them, luckily they had wheels, it really is amazing how much you can get into your case and still be within the limit

regards

Guest tigers08

hi we are migrating on a perm 176 visa in september and we are only allowed 20 kgs with cathey pacific

Guest Hearne_Family

We flew with Singapore on a 457 visa and got double baggage allowance, we checked with them first and got it on writing, we were told that the visa had to be in our passports though, they were electronicly tagged originaly but we went to Australia House to get them put in.

Terry

Hi

I know that if you are entering Oz on a PR visa you get more allowance but does anyone know if there is any way you can applyfor more if you are going in on a temp visa that could become permanent?

I am going on student visa but hope that afterwards I will be successfull in applying for PR and only have the basic allowance for travelling- not much when you are taking most if your wordly goods!

Thanks

No try excess baggage companies , anyway thought students didnt have owt lol

Guest carolynr6280
Hi

Thanks

Hi Emma

I came to Oz in January on a student visa and was only allowed the normal baggage of 20kg. I did ask the airline before we flew but the answer was NO!! We were a bit over weight at the airport but we managed to get away with it (not everybody does though). We also used an excess baggage to ship some stuff over which cost about £200 for 40kg.

Good Luck with your studies!!

Carolyn x

We flew with Singapore on a 457 visa and got double baggage allowance, we checked with them first and got it on writing, we were told that the visa had to be in our passports though, they were electronicly tagged originaly but we went to Australia House to get them put in.

Terry

Foned Singapore and they told me no way visa had to be permanent , which a 457 int even if its in yer passport , dropped on there kid

Guest Hearne_Family
Foned Singapore and they told me no way visa had to be permanent , which a 457 int even if its in yer passport , dropped on there kid

I have not been dropped on at all mate, I came over with singapore on a 457 and got double baggage allowance, if you are that sure that I am telling fibs I will put pics up of the booking confirmation with 40kgs allowance and a copy of my 457 visa. I dont appreciate being called a liar.

I have not been dropped on at all mate, I came over with singapore on a 457 and got double baggage allowance, if you are that sure that I am telling fibs I will put pics up of the booking confirmation with 40kgs allowance and a copy of my 457 visa. I dont appreciate being called a liar.

WHOSE CALIIN A LIAR , speakin from personal experience and that of others who have gone with 457 visas to be told only 20 kg , a colleague of OH had to pay a stupid amount excess baggage, if you look on other forums relating to baggage allowance other people have had the same information or experience

Guest Hearne_Family

You quoted my post and said I had been dropped on, I felt that you were calling me a liar, if I was lucky to get double baggage allowance on a 457 why not say that instead of making out that I was telling fibs?

You quoted my post and said I had been dropped on, I felt that you were calling me a liar, if I was lucky to get double baggage allowance on a 457 why not say that instead of making out that I was telling fibs?

Sorry Hearne family, I think that you are getting the wrong end of the stick here. Dropped on means that you were lucky, not that you are telling lies.

Guest Hearne_Family
Sorry Hearne family, I think that you are getting the wrong end of the stick here. Dropped on means that you were lucky, not that you are telling lies.

If thats the case then I apologise...being a sothern softie means I dont know what you guys from ooop north are on about half the time!

Would be interested to hear of any other 457 holders got double baggage allowance though?

Terry

Guest Hearne_Family

I rung them first of all and asked, they asked if it was the validation trip on the 457 and they said that I would be entitled to the double allowance, I then just asked them to email me which they did, when we checked in at Heathrow they didnt even ask to see the email. If I was lucky then I was doubly so as the person I spoke to said yes and the guy at the check in also said yes without any questions asked.

Best of luck with you move downunder and keep us posted as to weather you get double baggage allowance.

Guest OZTROOPERS

Hi,

We've booked flights to Adelaide in Oct with Singapore Airlines (yipeeeeeeeeeee finally booked!!) and i too called to confirm the luggage allowance. I also sent an email to UK_Reservations@Singaporeair.com.sg to be extra sure of double luggage allowance. They replied with the following..................

"With regards to your query, kindly note that passengers emigrating to Australia are entitled to double baggage allowance provided they are holding an unused migrant visa that states to remain in Australia indefinitely.

If you are holding this visa you will be entitled to double baggage allowance on production of the visa at check in. You can have as many items of luggage as you wish provided no one single item of baggage exceeds 32 kilos in weight. This is a health and safety requirement.

If you are not holding the correct visa, then you will be entitled to the standard free checked baggage allowance of 20 kilos per passenger.

Thank you for choosing Singapore Airlines."

We got flights two flights for £1067.00 and paid £120 on top for extra leg room, I thought we did ok to say we're flying with Singapore Airlines especially as Qantas wanted an additional £300 each for double luggage (thats £300 on top of £617 one way flight!!)

Louise

Guest Guest26012
If thats the case then I apologise...being a sothern softie means I dont know what you guys from ooop north are on about half the time!

Would be interested to hear of any other 457 holders got double baggage allowance though?

Terry

Yes it is the case! Dropped on in yorkshire terms means getting lucky! Dont be so quick to jump down someones throat when they were only trying to make a fair comment! Apologise you should!!!!!! :yes:

Guest tigers08
Hi,

We've booked flights to Adelaide in Oct with Singapore Airlines (yipeeeeeeeeeee finally booked!!) and i too called to confirm the luggage allowance. I also sent an email to UK_Reservations@Singaporeair.com.sg to be extra sure of double luggage allowance. They replied with the following..................

"With regards to your query, kindly note that passengers emigrating to Australia are entitled to double baggage allowance provided they are holding an unused migrant visa that statesto remain in Australia indefinitely.

If you are holding this visa you will be entitled to double baggage allowance on production of the visa at check in. You can have as many items of luggage as you wish provided no one single item of baggage exceeds 32 kilos in weight. This is a health and safety requirement.

If you are not holding the correct visa, then you will be entitled to the standard free checked baggage allowance of 20 kilos per passenger.

We got flights two flights for £1067.00 and paid £120 on top for extra leg room, I thought we did ok to say we're flying with Singapore Airlines especially as Qantas wanted an additional £300 each for double luggage (thats £300 on top of £617 one way flight!!)

Louise

wish cathey pacific gave extra baggage , we perm visas 176 and they only allow 20kgs , prob worth me ringing them tho, we go adelaide in september

Guest Hearne_Family
Yes it is the case! Dropped on in yorkshire terms means getting lucky! Dont be so quick to jump down someones throat when they were only trying to make a fair comment! Apologise you should!!!!!! :yes:

Thanks for butting in after the apology had already been made, most constructive!! :rolleyes:

Guest Hearne_Family
wish cathey pacific gave extra baggage , we perm visas 176 and they only allow 20kgs , prob worth me ringing them tho, we go adelaide in september

Did you ask? Seems the airlines wont offer they wait for you to ask, let us know what happens, best of luck.

Did you ask? Seems the airlines wont offer they wait for you to ask, let us know what happens, best of luck.

Soz thtat was my mrs lol ( i have to live with her0 but if you look at the previous posts with the quotes from SQ , you have to have a visa which stipulates you can stay indefinately , you got lucky mate heard a couple have depends which person tou contact at SQ . I do know of peeps who have gone there and had to fork out shed loads , I think another option is to travel to the airport with someone and have a plan b on the extra luggage ie put essentials up to a case worth and then pack the non essentials that can be sent on with excess baGGAGE COMPANIES ( cheaper than the airline)

Guest gilly88
Hi,

"With regards to your query, kindly note that passengers emigrating to Australia are entitled to double baggage allowance provided they are holding an unused migrant visa that statesto remain in Australia indefinitely.

Louise

I think you can only get this if you have not already validated your visa so beware anyone that has had to validate already Please someone let me know I am wrong but that is what I understand.

Archived