Any Pajero Drivers?

Guest Taytoconnorrs

Guest Taytoconnorrs

I've been trawling through the car ads recently trying to work out what the best buy would be, second hand, before we arrive in September. After a lot of searching the mitsubishi Pajero seems like a really solid buy. They appear to be bullet proof and you can pick up a 97/98 (long wheel base) for about $7/8 k. Does anyone have any idea of runnning cost of one of these, as they have pretty hefty engines (3, 3.5 litre).

Cheers for any info

Guest Vim Fuego

You'll find them all parked on a kerb about 20m from a school entrance.

Can't have little Johnny using his legs.

Guest guest30038

:biglaugh:

You crack me up mate!

Yeah, I've got a Prado but I used to have a Paj. Both are expensive to run and repair and insure and rego. Don't go there unless you really need to as it is likely that the Gov't will bring some prohibitive tax down later to encourage motorists to 'go green'.

The only reason that I run a fourby, is to pull the boat, although they are handy (7 or 8 seats) for when rellies come over.............I'm lying................I love having two and a half ton around me when idiots cut me up on the highway, and hate the wife's Astra...........just don't feel safe.

Recent expenses on a Prado which would be similar for Paj"

New tyres all round $1100

200K service and new clutch $1700

If I remember rightly me Paj needed new t belt at 1500k......... that's when many offload as this can aslo cost about $600.

Whatever you look at, get an inspection done on the vehicle by the RACQ for less than a hundred bucks.........well wirth the money and some dealers are now advertisng vehicles for sale with "RACQ Inspection report"

kev

Guest snow white

weve always had toyota prado landcruiser for the last ten years very solid reliable car trouble is not exactly plenty of them around to buy people definitely hang onto toyotas longer .

looks like we might have to get a pajero thsi time round

lesley x

Guest Vim Fuego
:biglaugh:

You crack me up mate!

Yeah, I've got a Prado but I used to have a Paj. Both are expensive to run and repair and insure and rego. Don't go there unless you really need to as it is likely that the Gov't will bring some prohibitive tax down later to encourage motorists to 'go green'.

The only reason that I run a fourby, is to pull the boat, although they are handy (7 or 8 seats) for when rellies come over.............I'm lying................I love having two and a half ton around me when idiots cut me up on the highway, and hate the wife's Astra...........just don't feel safe.

Recent expenses on a Prado which would be similar for Paj"

New tyres all round $1100

200K service and new clutch $1700

If I remember rightly me Paj needed new t belt at 1500k......... that's when many offload as this can aslo cost about $600.

Whatever you look at, get an inspection done on the vehicle by the RACQ for less than a hundred bucks.........well wirth the money and some dealers are now advertisng vehicles for sale with "RACQ Inspection report"

kev

Ta, I only do it because it's an easy target ... I've actually softened my attitude to the Chelsea Tractor in Oz ... I've actually seen them do some useful work.

It's the Hyundai Excels you REALLY want to watch out for! :laugh:

Guest guest30038
Ta, I only do it because it's an easy target ... I've actually softened my attitude to the Chelsea Tractor in Oz ... I've actually seen them do some useful work.

It's the Hyundai Excels you REALLY want to watch out for! :laugh:

And the Getz!...............makes a mess of those little buggers when they hit your tow bar! :biglaugh:

kev

when we first arrived outside a school there were marked bays "kiss and drive" I thought hello a bit of suburban doggin

Mally

Guest Vim Fuego
when we first arrived outside a school there were marked bays "kiss and drive" I thought hello a bit of suburban doggin

Mally

:laugh:

I car-share with the Mother In Law in the morning so we always try to park in the "Get The Hell Out Of The Car And Get To Work For Some Peace" bay.

We've got a works Pajero. Don't like it at all; it's got the same size engine and trannie as my Prado, but compared to the Prado it's way way way more noisier on the road (it has engine rattle big time), it rolls around and has hopeless accelleration.

Saying that, Mitsubishi are far better value than Toyota with all the stuff you get for the same price, don't know that necessarily applies to the years you're talking about though, but older mitsubs are prone to rust. (My road cars are always Mitsubishis, I love them, but wouldn't have one of their off-roaders for preference).

Guest siamsusie

Mally

:biggrin::biglaugh:

I had a pajero 2.8 TD intercooler swb and loved it even though pajero means someone that "pleasures himself" in spanish, i sold it when i went to Aus' I'm know driving a toyota surf and am happy with it altouugh a little sluggish its better than the pajero off road and great now the rivers are dry it saves loads of time sitting in traffic but the pajero was better for bombing about town.

If i was in Aus I would deffo go for the toyotas, they love em out there and parts and servicing are better value than the Pajero

Guest snow white

oh dear ive always had a toyota prado and cannot get hold of one to trade in mine and buy a new one im deciding wether to gofor a pajero instead asthere are a few available i was going to ask between the two what would you go for aND WHY

LESLEYX

Guest guest30038
oh dear ive always had a toyota prado and cannot get hold of one to trade in mine and buy a new one im deciding wether to gofor a pajero instead asthere are a few available i was going to ask between the two what would you go for aND WHY

LESLEYX

My Pajero was a better ride and "niftier".........the prado is sluggish, especially up hills, but it tows the boat a lot better than the Paj...............personally, I'd rather have a paj..........drives more like a car, whereas you always know that the prado is a fourby.

kev

kev

Guest the bradleys
I've been trawling through the car ads recently trying to work out what the best buy would be, second hand, before we arrive in September. After a lot of searching the mitsubishi Pajero seems like a really solid buy. They appear to be bullet proof and you can pick up a 97/98 (long wheel base) for about $7/8 k. Does anyone have any idea of runnning cost of one of these, as they have pretty hefty engines (3, 3.5 litre).

Cheers for any info

Hi there

Pajero is a good choice, generally very good, dont be too concerned about the big engines as petrol is half as much as uk pump prices, I'm also looking to buy a 4x4 when i go next week (yippeee) and have scoured the classifieds online such as gum tree.com, most used cars seem to have massive mileage so advise that if youre willing to spend 8k make sure you get service history, and in case you didnt know car should come with rwc certificate (mot) :spinny:

Guest guest30038

I'm no mechanic but I learned this via a bad experience............cooked the engine and cost me 2400 for a re-conditioned one.

Another thing to check with used cars with high mileage is if the T belt has been renewed at the recommended mileage and ask for proof. People seem to offload their vehicles at around this time as for some, it is a major expense at around 7-900 bucks for a pajero (with labour).

Make sure the T belt is done within the service manual time frame. On some Pajero models a knackered T belt will simply mean you come to a halt and a replacement, on other models.......... if the T belt lets you down, the water pump goes........ the engine fries.............I had this model :arghh:

High mileage is not a problem in Qld as there's hardly any rust and the body and chassis remain sound............if the engine goes, simply drop in a reconditioned one. My old 89 Paj is still running at 360,000 had a recon engine, radiator and clutch as it's only major expense. Bought it used with 80.000k on the clock for 14 grand and it's been running for 14 yrs since then. Today's models are even better.

kev

Slightly off thread, but a general question, is haggling the norm with dealerships over there? Got my eye on something like a CRV or RAV4 from new with a small car thrown in as a package.

Worth trying to argue the price down or better to buy two seperate makes or one new and one used?

:jimlad:

Guest oggie1

Cheers for any info

Check this site out:-http://www.pocuk.com/forums/index.php

I've been a member there for 2 1/2 years and what that site doesn't tell you about the Paj ain't worth knowing.

The 2.5 suffers head problems,although mine has been superb and never let me down in 2 1/2 years.

The 2.8 suffers fuel pump seals rotting in the UK at least,not sure about Aussie ones(something to do with the different types of diesel)

I'm not up to speed on the 3 litre petrols but a little scan round that site will explain all.

I too have had a look around the Aus sites at Pajero's and they appear to be mostly the same spec as the Shogun(made for the British market)They don't seem to have the refinements of the Pajero(made for the Jap market).

Chris.

Guest Taytoconnorrs

Thanks to everyone for their most helpful and detailed relies. I've got some great resources to work on here. Does anyone have any ideas of the running costs in new south wales? I know I need 3 coloured slips. Similar to

1) mot,

2) 3rd part insurance,

3) registration.

I was under the impression registration was done by weight which would mean there's no difference between a 3 litre and a 3.5 litre, right? I also have a letter from my insurer stating I'm 5 years claim free, any point brining it with me to oz?

Guest snow white

after always being a toyota prado driver and now ive become a pajero vrx driver so far very happy sports model and looks lovely and drives lovely isnt top heavy and hopefully i will continue to be happy 3.8 petrol by the way

Guest guest30038
Slightly off thread, but a general question, is haggling the norm with dealerships over there? Got my eye on something like a CRV or RAV4 from new with a small car thrown in as a package.

Worth trying to argue the price down or better to buy two seperate makes or one new and one used?

:jimlad:

Yes, haggling is the norm. As for new, I've never bought one.......the moment you drive it off the forecourt it's worth less than it was 5 minutes previously. Buying private (Trading post) will save you mega bucks and you can always get the RACQ to check it over for about 100 bucks. I bought the wife's used astra private (low mileage) at 2500 cheaper than I could buy it from a dealer, with greater mileage.

kev

Hiya

Not much of an expert regarding engines etc. All I can tell you is we arrived end of Nov 08 and bought an 05 Pajero as we needed a 7 seater, it was more expensive than other 7 seaters of the same year but so far is proving to be a great car. It's as solid as a rock and drives very well.

Good luck with the move, start packing more than 3 weeks before you leave, I didn't and with 6 of us plus the dog to sort out was like a worn out old hag by the time I arrived!

Loving it though, it's worth it :biglaugh:

Archived