Guest mandisfam

HGV Drivers are they wanted in oz

Guest mandisfam

Hi folks, just a quick question on behalf of a friend, too tired to look on the DIAC website, so here goes, are HGV dirvers wanted anywhere in oz???? If not, did they use to be at one point but maybe knocked of the list, due to the recession???

Thanks

Mandisfam

Guest wayniexagt

well look at it this way .every thing in your house or at a supermarket office garage warehouse the list goes on etc at some point has travelled on a hgv of some sort. be it a 7.5 ton class 2 or a class 1. people have to eat etc and the only way is ................. you guessed it

I could be wrong (and forgive me if I am) but I've got a feeling that the Ozzy transport agency won't automatically recognize a UK HGV license. You may need to sit a new test (practical & written). I know they would n't recognize my 7.5ton UK license, and I needed to sit a new test in order to go "heavy rigid". But on a plus note, the test was extremely easy !

Guest stockies

Lmao.....for a minute there Mary I thought you had taken on a new job...........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Jamie Smith

Drivers and HBV were specifically excised off the skills list (against the wishes of the road transport association who were cross that it happended at a migration planning meeting the didn't attend)

Only such skills as earthworks machinery, bus and rubbish trucks operation are still on the lists.

Onw possible way forward would be if one owned a trucking business and went out on a business owner visa 163 (subject to meeting staff, turnover and asset requirements etc).

Guest mandisfam
Drivers and HBV were specifically excised off the skills list (against the wishes of the road transport association who were cross that it happended at a migration planning meeting the didn't attend)

Only such skills as earthworks machinery, bus and rubbish trucks operation are still on the lists.

Onw possible way forward would be if one owned a trucking business and went out on a business owner visa 163 (subject to meeting staff, turnover and asset requirements etc).

Hi, thanks for that, so thats not to say that maybe one day HGV drivers could be back on the list then???

The friend doesnt own his own company, Im sure he wishes he did.

I think maybe a student visa would be the best way in for them.

Thanks again

Mandisfam

Guest Jamie Smith

I think maybe a student visa would be the best way in for them.

Thanks again

Mandisfam

Yes, if they can budget for say 2-3 years a totla of around AUD$70,000 - lost adult wages at career level, reduced income as part time workers, child primary and secondary school costs at full foreign student rates, adult study costs, visa costs etc...

Student visas for adults with family are hugely expensive. :Randy-git:

It's cheaper to study or retrain in the UK and then move on a more suitable PR or sponsored visa.

All you will get for a class 1 licence in Australia is a car licence it's the same the other way around. I'm not sure if he will have to do it in stages but I know when i took my tests I had to wait a year in between.

So If he goes for a multi combination (road train or b-double) it will take 3 years once he has that he should be on $1,200 to $1,600 a week after tax (at todays rate) and that would be doing interstate, to do local it should be around $700 to $800 per week after tax.

If he wants any info DECA would be the place to find it.

Hope that helps you

Geoffrey

I know New Zealand drivers do not need to sit any tests to change over there HC licence. I don't know if New Zealand would do like for like or if they will take truck drivers from the UK maybe thats something to take a look at.

Tell your mate though if he drives in Australia expect to work long hours it's not like the UK

Kind Regards

Geoffrey (32, an aussie!!), Tracy (35), Jake (7), Jessica (2) & Joseph (1) :jiggy:

Guest Jamie Smith

You'll be very hard pushed to find an employer who would only hire you with 20 hours work as a driver. That's like 2 days on and five days off. The spouse of a student has restricted work hours too.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Jamie

I am speaking from memory after a particularly trying day with the UK equivalent of Hellstra. You can imagine.

Until 15th May I am sure you are right. The road haulage industry was told that if they wanted interstate road train drivers they would have to set up Labour Agreements for them.

An exception was made for off road "Heavy Trucks" of the types used in contruction and mining (but not household garbage.)

When the announcement about the new Labour Agreements for ASCO 5-7 occupations was made recently, I am pretty sure that the Minister said somewhere that it did not include arrangements for the "trucking industry" in the general "shifting goods by road" sense because I think he said that special arrangements had already been made for the trucking industry.

I can't remember where I saw this and despite looking for it last night to check whether my recollection is right, I can't find it.

Are you sure that ordinary road train drivers are still excluded? My hunch is that they are but I would like to be wrong about this.

Thanks

Gill