Anyone out there on the Mornington Peninsula?

sallyandkev

:hug:Hi , Have been here for nearly 6 months now. Have had a really tough time because of one thing and another including breaking my leg! Not working yet as dont seem to be able to get my foot in the door, so to speak. I am a primary school teacher. Husband is working and happy but I am so bored. Love the area but need to find a social life. Anyone out there in the Mount Martha/Mornington area - maybe in the same boat - want to meet up for coffee locally? I am in my 40's. Love to hear from you - may stop me from going insane, or packing my case and going home!!! lol!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi we have just done our validation trip, we stayed in Tyabb, Mornington i have a friend who lives in Mornington, we are hoping to move out there as soon as our house sale goes through, i am a hairdresser, when we get out there would love a coffee with you, hope it all goes well for you

Tania X

There are a lot of Brits around the area, have you had a look at the

Britvics site. There is going to be a girls night out soon and the details will be on there, also they meet up and swap books every month or so and have coffee, may be something you could consider. Also lovely people who may be able to help you with work.

Its not easy getting into teaching in this area as its a very desirable job here, most of the vacancies for teachers occur in the country and over in the western suburbs. A lot of the jobs which are advertised are already taken as well but they have to be advertised which is a bit of a nuisance because other applicants do not know this.

However there may be someone who can help you with primary jobs. My children are both secondary teachers.

Hi Sally

I am not too far away. I am in Sandhurst, which is about 10 mins north of Frankston. My kids are both at home with me as my eldest is not due to start school until Feb 2010 here. We have only been in Melbourne for 4 weeks and so I am waiting for the Council to get back to me re:kindy places. I would love to meet up, although it would be unlikely that it would be a civilised quiet coffee with a 3 and 5 year old!

You can PM me if you want to meet up. Also, apparently, there is sometimes a meet up in Berwick for us PIO'ers from Victoria. It is probably worth keeping your eyes peeled for that.

Rachael

We usually have a Britvics / PIO meet in Mornington after Winter which is very well supported. I don't think this will be until late September maybe.

In the meantime why not organise a girls night out for a chat at say the Bay hotel or Kirkpatricks in Mornington.

Just post a date & time & see what interest there is.

From past experience on Britvics site there are a good few who would love the chance to get out for a few hours & chat over a glass or 4 of vino.

Guest nejpinkett

Hi Sally

I responded to your thread about teaching jobs, but I am 40 something and have 2 kids and if I don't get work before I come out. I will be in the same boat as you. i will be coming out around the 11th Aug and hope to get some sort of accomodation sorted out on the penisula some where preferably Mount Eliza or Mornington. My husband will be flying out with me and then returning to the UK to continue work as a teacher as we don't want to be without a salary. He'll then send me money over etc. I hope to get something sorted out for New year if not before. he can then join me and try and find work. Not ideal situation but as we have to rent out our house in the UK as nothing really selling we don't have a great deal of cash. So I will definetly be up for coffee etc especially once I get kids into school. I will let you know where I end up. The whole thing is starting to become very daunting.

Speak soon

Natalie

Guest TheClarkes

Hi Sally, We are here in Mornington have been since January...There are loads of Brits here... I have met some lovely people and we are all around your age so drop me a line and we will arrange a meet up for coffee

Clare :-)

Guest eye_sea

Hi Sally

I'm in Mt Martha, been here 18 months with hubby and 2 teenage kids I'm a teacher too. Had a touch of the homesickness as well. Would love to meet for a coffee if you fancy.

Cath

Guest nejpinkett

Hi Sally

didn't get job. I will get feedback in 2 weeks. I have had an e mail from the deputy principle the job went to someone who was a present teacher on a short term contract, so why they bothered to interview me I don't know!! Anyway will get speak to him after the hols and use the advice for the next one. At least I don't have to rush now and can say bye to my family properly. We will be booking flights this weekend. I will pm you when I get over to catch up with you for a chat.

Natalie

Sorry you didn't get the job, but it might be best to look when you are here...you can suss out which schools you like the look of and which areas. Don't be put off by one rejection..i have had about 10 without even one interview!! I have been told that most jobs are gone before they are advertised and it is very much who you know and being in the right place at the right time that gets your foot in the door. Just enjoy the adventure of actually getting here. Do you know exactly where you are going to be staying? Sally x

Guest nejpinkett

Hi Sally

We are hoping to go to either Mount Eliza, Mornington or South Frankston. My preference is Mount Eliza but we will look at all 3 areas again. The other area is Aspendale/Mordialloc a bit further up the penisula - but that is not our preferred area it would only be to give us more options for supply work as you are nearer the city.Our budget is $400 a week, so should get something for that, but the kids would love a pool for the summer- so i hope we will be lucky. We will arrive on the 12th Aug and go and stay with friends who live in Trafalgar in Gippsland- 2 hrs or so out of melbourne to get over jet lag and then while John is with me we will go down to the penisula to have a good look and leave our kids with our friends. I am going to ask the deputy principle of the school I didn't get the job in, if he thinks it is best to position ourselves up the penisula or not. I have also got a load of other questions to ask him when I get my feedback after 13th July- I may ask about some supply work there. Have you been doing supply? Anyway you are right just enjoy the excitement of getting there- my OH has said the same thing. The issue is he will have to come back and work a term more so we have money coming in- but I am sure we will survive. Hopefully we can catch up for coffee/beer when we get there.

Speak soon

Natalie

Guest Nicki

Hi Sally

I havent got the hang of this yet hope you are well dont give up Ive been here for 13 years but its hard to meet friends they all seem to be my husbands friend as he plays soccer with all the boys. It would be good to catch up

Guest Nicki

:hug:Hi , Have been here for nearly 6 months now. Have had a really tough time because of one thing and another including breaking my leg! Not working yet as dont seem to be able to get my foot in the door, so to speak. I am a primary school teacher. Husband is working and happy but I am so bored. Love the area but need to find a social life. Anyone out there in the Mount Martha/Mornington area - maybe in the same boat - want to meet up for coffee locally? I am in my 40's. Love to hear from you - may stop me from going insane, or packing my case and going home!!! lol!
I am trying to get the hang of this not sure if I am replying correctly hope you are well would love to catch up for that coffee its hard to get good friends my husband has lots of friends as he plays soccer each week :spinny:

Guest linda41

my sister lives in the mornington area (rosebud) and i hope to be going over soon to join her on a remaining relative visa. will get in touch with my sister and get her to post. she has been over there for 8yrs now and loves it.:spinny:

Guest nejpinkett

Hi Caroline

I am moving to Mount Eliza or Mornington at end of Aug- What school do your kids go to in mornington? I have a 6 and 9 year old. I have had a look on line but not done anything yet. What do I need to take with me to enrol them in a school?

NatalieX

Guest Nicki

Hi Sally

I couldn't find a reply but remember I am not very good at this I am finding it hard to understand I think face book is easier let me know if you get this message if so I must be doing something right

Nicki

Guest THE JONEZYS

Sally.....my apologies for hijaking your thread but thought this would be a good oportunity for me to do some networking and for some of you to come and meet some new people.

I have just started my own business selling homewares & jewellery. My silver jewellery is now here and I will be having a launch party at my house in Mt Martha, on tuesday the 7th july from 7pm.

If you are interested in coming along for a browse, a chat and a glass of wine then please pm me for details.

We are a friendly bunch as Sally I am sure will vouch, after meeting us all in style last saturday night ;-)

Hope to hear from some of you.

Thanks

Lesley

Archived