Guest Jolaaled

Long term tourist visa

Guest Jolaaled

Hi all (my first post!).

Hope someone can help here.

I am a uk resident aged 50, and will be visiting my brother (Oz resident) in sydney this autumn (not yet booked flight tho).

I would like to stay for 1 year, ideally. I have read that the tourist visa can be granted for 3, 6 months or even up to 1 year. Is there anything i can do to help ensure that i get the 1-year extension.

Or..would it be better to go for the sponsored family visitor visa to maxmise my chances of staying for a whole year?

thanks all, for your help, in anticipation.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi there

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

Are you British? If so, you probably wouldn't have any problem getting a 12 month sc 676 visa if you can show that you could support yourself in Oz for a year without having to work.

Does this help?

Best wishes

Gill

Guest eurosyl

Hi Jolaaled,

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

I applied for the 1 yr 676 visa and it was granted in 7 days (Dutch passport).

As said by Gollywobbler most important requirement is to show you have sufficient funds. I gave my 'base adress' in Oz, and stated that further travel plans were to be determined later. I also requested multiple entry as I may need to travel between home and Oz a few times. I was not asked for proof of travel insurance (although I have that in place as well as health insurance).

Be aware that condition 8503 'No Further Stay' may be added to your visa (it was to mine, and is normally done for the 12 month visa). That means that you are not allowed to apply for any other substantial visa while remaining in Australia. That also means you cannot apply for an extension of the 676 visa onshore (which is normally allowed for a maximum of another 6 months).

A 12 month tourist visa with multiple entry allows you to travel into Australia as often as you want during a period of 12 months (there is an 'must not arrive later than' date). Upon EACH arrival it is allowed to stay for a period of maximum 12 months. THEORETICALLY that means that if you stay in Oz for 11 months, travel out and back in.. you can stay almost 2 years on that visa. Only thing to worry about is that DIAC needs to establish that you are a 'genuine visitor' and lets you in when you return. They sometimes interview returning visitors, that has so far not prevented me to travel tho (New Zealand is a small hop).

I hope this provides sufficient information.

Cheers,

Sylvia

Eurosyl,

My Inlaws are coming over on Boxing day this year and are hoping to stay for the year. I was under the impression that on a tourist visa 676 you could only stay for a year and then had to leave the country (AUS). Have I read your thread correctly that my inlaws could come over for 11 months go on holiday to New Zealand for 2 weeks then come back to Aus for another 12 months. My inlaws will be staying with me and my family, they will have their own money, savings + pensions, I have also writen a letter of invitation. My family and I are all Permanent Residences.

Regards

Matt

Guest Jolaaled
Hi there

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

Are you British? If so, you probably wouldn't have any problem getting a 12 month sc 676 visa if you can show that you could support yourself in Oz for a year without having to work.

Does this help?

Best wishes

Gill

Thanks, Gill.

Yes, i am british and have British passport. I will be living with my brother, so no accommodation costs....do you know what sort of evidence i would need to provide for the visa authorities?

thanks again. You lot on here are fab and so helpful.

Guest Jolaaled
Hi Jolaaled,

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

I applied for the 1 yr 676 visa and it was granted in 7 days (Dutch passport).

As said by Gollywobbler most important requirement is to show you have sufficient funds. I gave my 'base adress' in Oz, and stated that further travel plans were to be determined later. I also requested multiple entry as I may need to travel between home and Oz a few times. I was not asked for proof of travel insurance (although I have that in place as well as health insurance).

Be aware that condition 8503 'No Further Stay' may be added to your visa (it was to mine, and is normally done for the 12 month visa). That means that you are not allowed to apply for any other substantial visa while remaining in Australia. That also means you cannot apply for an extension of the 676 visa onshore (which is normally allowed for a maximum of another 6 months).

A 12 month tourist visa with multiple entry allows you to travel into Australia as often as you want during a period of 12 months (there is an 'must not arrive later than' date). Upon EACH arrival it is allowed to stay for a period of maximum 12 months. THEORETICALLY that means that if you stay in Oz for 11 months, travel out and back in.. you can stay almost 2 years on that visa. Only thing to worry about is that DIAC needs to establish that you are a 'genuine visitor' and lets you in when you return. They sometimes interview returning visitors, that has so far not prevented me to travel tho (New Zealand is a small hop).

I hope this provides sufficient information.

Cheers,

Sylvia

Sylvia..that is amazing information..thank you so much.

Guest siamsusie

Hi Sylvia, I wish I had known you a year ago I had an 8503, thinking I could lodge my Spouse visa from Australia. No leave to stay was mentioned hence enjoying the english sunshine for a while lol ss x

Guest Gollywobbler
Eurosyl,

My Inlaws are coming over on Boxing day this year and are hoping to stay for the year. I was under the impression that on a tourist visa 676 you could only stay for a year and then had to leave the country (AUS). Have I read your thread correctly that my inlaws could come over for 11 months go on holiday to New Zealand for 2 weeks then come back to Aus for another 12 months. My inlaws will be staying with me and my family, they will have their own money, savings + pensions, I have also writen a letter of invitation. My family and I are all Permanent Residences.

Regards

Matt

Hi Matt

How old are your in-laws, please? DIAC sometimes get a bit twitchy with visitors aged 70 or over in case they get to Oz and then become too frail or infirm to leave when the visa expires. They often limit the periods of stay in Oz to six months at a time, the idea being to force the Parents to prove that they are fit enough to leave Oz and then return. They might well also impose Condition 8503 which Eurosyl has described. Until you see the terms on which the visas have been granted you can't make assumptions or plan anything.

Are they eligible for Parent migration and if so is this what they want to do?

Family - Visas & Immigration

Family - Visas & Immigration

Parent Migration Booklet

Cheers

Gill

Guest eurosyl
Hi Sylvia, I wish I had known you a year ago I had an 8503, thinking I could lodge my Spouse visa from Australia. No leave to stay was mentioned hence enjoying the english sunshine for a while lol ss x

That's why I lodged my GSM from New Zealand. They let me in after that tho :D

Sylvia

Guest eurosyl
Hi Gill,

My inlaws are 64 and 62 years of age.

Matt

Hi Matt,

I believe Gill pointed you already into the right direction. As your parents have not yet reached the age where additional conditions apply, in THEORY it could be done exactly as I described.

I met a girl in Oz who actually traveled in on a 3 month ETA on the last week of the 12 month period in which it could be used. She was interviewed and asked when she planned to return, as she also had her return ticket booked, there was no problem entering the country.

Sylvia

Guest Gollywobbler
Thanks, Gill.

Yes, i am british and have British passport. I will be living with my brother, so no accommodation costs....do you know what sort of evidence i would need to provide for the visa authorities?

thanks again. You lot on here are fab and so helpful.

Hi again

If you can prove funds, or access to funds (eg credit card with a generous limit) of around $200 AUD a week you should be OK. The Aussie Govt reckons that about $220 a week is the amount sombody needs to get by on so that is roughly the amount that Centrelink (social security) pay pensioners, I gather.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Jolaaled
Hi again

If you can prove funds, or access to funds (eg credit card with a generous limit) of around $200 AUD a week you should be OK. The Aussie Govt reckons that about $220 a week is the amount sombody needs to get by on so that is roughly the amount that Centrelink (social security) pay pensioners, I gather.

Cheers

Gill

thanks, Gill

I will be able to prove that i've got sufficient funds to this amount, for the year, i think, by getting statments from my savings accounts.

I have noted that they also want (under 'additional documents'), a letter from my employer 'confirming my leave'. I am a teacher in the UK, and, because of our terms and conditions, i cannot take leave for a year. I will have to resign from my post. I'm worried that Aus Dept of Immigration will not grant me the year visa, if i've not got a confirmed job to return to.

Any suggestions very gratefully received.

thanks all.

PS..this website is just amazing help.

Guest siamsusie

Hi Jolaaled, I was in the same position when I applied for my last visa, my husband had to provide proof of earnings/bank statements etc and I am sure if your brother can provide evidence that he can support you there shouldnt be a problem I wouldnt have thought.

Guest eurosyl
thanks, Gill

I will be able to prove that i've got sufficient funds to this amount, for the year, i think, by getting statments from my savings accounts.

I have noted that they also want (under 'additional documents'), a letter from my employer 'confirming my leave'. I am a teacher in the UK, and, because of our terms and conditions, i cannot take leave for a year. I will have to resign from my post. I'm worried that Aus Dept of Immigration will not grant me the year visa, if i've not got a confirmed job to return to.

thanks all.

My employer actually provided such a letter, as he granted me 6 months sabbatical leave. It was not requested by DIAC tho, so I never bothered to upload. They just want to make sure that you are a genuine visitor and are willing (and able) to leave when time is due. Do not worry about it too much, if you can provide for yourself there should be no issue.

Sylvia

thanks, Gill

thanks all.

Have you thought about trying to get a teacher exchange instead of chucking in a good job that you might one day want to return to? There are Aus/UK teacher exchange programs where you exchange job, house, car etc I've had a couple of friends who have done it and they have really enjoyed themselves.

Guest Jolaaled
Have you thought about trying to get a teacher exchange instead of chucking in a good job that you might one day want to return to? There are Aus/UK teacher exchange programs where you exchange job, house, car etc I've had a couple of friends who have done it and they have really enjoyed themselves.

thanks, Quoll...i had briefly thought about teacher exchange, but as i'm over 50, i thought that i wouldn't stand a chance. Do you know the best place to find more info??

many thanks indeed.

thanks, Quoll...i had briefly thought about teacher exchange, but as i'm over 50, i thought that i wouldn't stand a chance. Do you know the best place to find more info??

many thanks indeed.

I dont know about age restrictions but I would have thought it would be much harder to get back into teaching as a 50 year old if you left now. Queensland has a teacher exchange commitment SDV-PR-002: Teacher Exchange Program and I would imagine that there would be exchanges advertised in UK as well but dont know where you would ask about them - local Ed Dept I would assume.