UK job situation? How bad is it?

paullym

You are correct. But that's where the jobs were. We needed to both have work, and the jobs for both our professions were predominantly in London. We could have lived outside and commuted in, but then we would have lost 2 more hours in the day...

I did a search for my job on Indeed. The combined jobs in Bristol, Reading, Birmingham and Manchester was about 200. London was 800... needs must and we were losing money...

Yes there are nicer places, but it is nicer still back here. We spent so much time weighing pros and cons, but in the end the quality of life, weather, and general positivity of the people here is second to none. Australians don't know (Still even in the current climate) how good they have it.

It is what floats your boat I suppose, many poms appreciate how good the UK is after spending time in Oz and i also dont think Brits realize what a great place the UK is, I could never obtain the quality of life I have in the UK in oz but you can...we are all different.

:biglaugh:

why? we have had 9 months of mild and at times hot weather with well below average rainfall, never really to hot or to cold, a great temperate climate, i hated the heat in perth and the winter was also wet and miserable for months like the UK can be for a couple of winter months....take you choice...:cute:

Guest Guest 47403
why? we have had 9 months of mild and at times hot weather with well below average rainfall, never really to hot or to cold, a great temperate climate, i hated the heat in perth and the winter was also wet and miserable for months like the UK can be for a couple of winter months....take you choice...:cute:

How does a country have 'well below average rainfall'?

Guest Guest 47403
Well we did actually take the plunge and relocate to London from Brisbane last year. As it turned out we suffered very severe reverse culture shock. We both found good jobs, if slightly unstable, and had a great apartment. However we found the noise, and the strain on infrastructure just too much and it we are back in our house in brisbane, less than a year since we left. Lots of lessons learned, thankfully the jobs are still good here and we still had our house. I think the idea of extended holiday is a good one, but nothing is the same as actually trying to live and work in a new location...

Anyway, we are very much pinging and ponging. Hopefully we have seen the grass on both sides now and realise the Aussie side is thicker and more lush (though not after the current Brisbane dry Winter).

Fair play mate good onya for trying it back in the UK, ATM for me Aus fills more boxes!

I guess miserable weather encourages you to stay in. Probably handy on minimum wage.

Cheaper obviously than traditional cooking, with less electric or gas usage, not to say time. But not half as good.

Is running a gas bbq significantly cheaper than an electric cooktop? I've never worked it out.

Surely if that is a major worry I would make a sandwich.

I actually believe quality of life is more a state of mind than tied to a particular town, can't say i've ever been unhappy anywhere I have lived.

No an increasingly universal prediction. The only unknown is the harshness to the degree ...

I suppose it has been predicted for what? The last 5 years? I suppose the numbers predicting it will increase in that time. You could look at it this way, for every month that Aus isn't in recession is a month closer to it being in recession. If you wait long enough for just about everything it will happen.

Hi all,

Firstly, thanks for all the other threads in this forum. It has really helped us out knowing that we are not the only ones with this feeling of being constantly in 'limbo' and feeling like we don't belong here.

I came out in Brisbane in 2000 and have been based here ever since. Here I met OH (also an expat, but German in origin) in 2004 and we have lived here since then (bar a year when we travelled around the world).

We have just recently had a babe and feeling we should return home has become much stronger, as well as OH's mother not being too well at the moment. We want our respective families to enjoy being with our daughter. As such we have made the decision to return before the end of the year. However my family is giving us equal encouragement to come but negative views about the UK job climate.

We appreciate what Australia has and the lifestyle on offer. As such its a difficult decision to make, and its been compounded by the fact that with a secure job here in Brisbane we could be giving up a lot for an uncertain future in the UK.

So we would value any advice that you may have. I suppose our main question to help us move forward and follow through on our decision (or delay it!) is how the UK job market is looking and how it may be looking 6 months down the line...

It would be good to get some information from people in the UK or those who have just returned, as an internet search about it is not bringing up much.

I am working in IT and my OH is a commercial accountant working with SAP looking for work part time. We are predominantly looking at London, which is where all the work seems to be, but would move anywhere south of Manchester.

Thanks again for any help... Good luck in your choices.

Paul

My company has just restarted its long dead IT graduate recruitment scheme. I wouldn't say the market is booming but it seems healthy.

I suppose it has been predicted for what? The last 5 years? I suppose the numbers predicting it will increase in that time. You could look at it this way, for every month that Aus isn't in recession is a month closer to it being in recession. If you wait long enough for just about everything it will happen.

Well no it is actually happening with the regression of ore prices at some speed. The loss of jobs in that sector especially relevant to the WA economy. The reduction in house prices, although small and the increase in rentals, rather substantial in number, are all signs of the coming downturn. Five years ago it was all boom,boom. We got the GFC of 08, reasonably unscratched. The concern with WA was always the over reliance on one particular market being China and an over dependence on the commodity market.

All such fears are coming home to bare, with the loss of triple A rating, a state government going into ever heavy debt and less growth. Economic cycles don't tend to change over night. It remains to be seen how the gas industry will impact on the slack.

I'm Back in the UK in construction and the building industry has gone through the roof in the last 12 months, I've friends in the "computer / IT" side of things and they have had to take on staff and subby work out.

There are recruiters from NZ in WA at the moment looking to recruit workers for their increasingly booming economy. How long before UK recruiters are next in line to entice workers back/to UK I wonder. London Ambulance folk already have been on the look out for up to 250 Aussie paramedics I have heard. Probably won't be the last.

Well no it is actually happening with the regression of ore prices at some speed. The loss of jobs in that sector especially relevant to the WA economy. The reduction in house prices, although small and the increase in rentals, rather substantial in number, are all signs of the coming downturn. Five years ago it was all boom,boom. We got the GFC of 08, reasonably unscratched. The concern with WA was always the over reliance on one particular market being China and an over dependence on the commodity market.

All such fears are coming home to bare, with the loss of triple A rating, a state government going into ever heavy debt and less growth. Economic cycles don't tend to change over night. It remains to be seen how the gas industry will impact on the slack.

Is there a big 'reduction' in house prices, or are they not increasing at previous levels? I know of areas where prices are still going up quite well.

There will always be someone buying WA's product, just depends at what price. What are he prices like compared to pre GFC?

NZ do look like they are doing well but I suppose there will always be some that think the glass is always half empty

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/10421920/NZ-economy-could-hit-the-rocks-economists

Both likely underrated. Australia certainly is with many just dropping out of work and not claiming any benefit or in some cases even bothering.

that is soo true.

Some one on a zero hour contract / casual employment who In a week they get no paid work or only 2.5 hours.

(this happened to me a few times when i was on a zero hour contract and casual employment)

Are they

Unemployed or employed ?

Archived