Can you recommend a good Australian book?

Taz2008

As I live in France its not so easy for me to just pop down to the library or even the local book shop and look for a good book about living and working in Australia! I have looked on the internet but thought I would ask here to see if anyone can recommend some to me.

So, I am looking for something which will help prepare us for our possible move to Australia, in particular Queensland (around the gold coast, sunshine coast and Brisbane). Something that covers areas to live, information on medical and licences needed for work, working for an employer, schools and so on.

Any suggestions are welcomed...

Thanks

Tasha :wubclub:

Guest cuba267

Hi

Cant be of help with the living and working in oz bit but, if you want a bit of a laugh, read Bill Bryson 'Down Under'.

Hi

Cant be of help with the living and working in oz bit but, if you want a bit of a laugh, read Bill Bryson 'Down Under'.

Brilliant read as most Brysons are...not just funny from page 1 but filled to the brim with intriguing insights into fascinating, contradictory and amazing people, places and history.

A crackin' good read :yes:

Brilliant read as most Brysons are...not just funny from page 1 but filled to the brim with intriguing insights into fascinating, contradictory and amazing people, places and history.

A crackin' good read :yes:

For an American, Bryson makes some very true observations about Aus, I say that as a local.

For a good read and interesting things, think about Lonely Planet (Australia). I don't go anywhere without LP.

Guest Little Stalky
Hi Tasha

We bought this book after reading a recommendation on PIO.

Living and Working in Australia: A Survival Handbook: Amazon.co.uk: David Hampshire: Books

I see that it has just been updated 15 May 09 also, so should be really up to date.

Mandy x

Hi,

We also bought this book before we came over (about a year ago) and I found it really useful

Little Stalky

I have a good book called 'See Australia and Die' by Wendy Lewis. Its all about tales of misadventure in Aussie e.g. getting lost in the bush, falling off Ayers Rock, shark attacks etc.

3/4 of the stories take place in QLD!

There is a good e-book you can download and print called How to Arrive and Thrive in Australia if you're interested.

I got this - a lot of paper required to print it and about £15. But it's a good "book".

It outlines all the different visa types and how you apply for them, what you need etc very well without getting jargon-heavy (even so there is a good list of key terms and lots of tips and tricks throughout).

Great thing about it is they update it regularly too, and for up to a year you can download updated sections of the book for nothing. I have the April 2008 edition sat on my desk at home I think. Can pay in different currencies too including Euros. Special reduced price on at the moment only until the end of this month. Give it a whirl perhaps if you feel like trying something different? You of course get to save a copy of the book onto your PC and you can print off individual sections of it that you want/need as and when.

Try this link: How to arrive and thrive in Australia

• 3 weeks later...
contact the Shire Offices in each area--I find them very helpful and I live here !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forgive me if I am sounding dim - but what are the Shire Offices for each area, can you explain a little more please. I have googled what you wrote, but nothing is coming up?:wubclub:

Hi I know its not what your after but Bryce Courtenay has written a fantastic trilogy THE POTATO FACTORY, TOMMO AND HAWK, and SOLOMANS SONG. Its about 2 families that get shipped out on the prison boats and how they make their way 1 are sent to Tasmania and the other lot to Melbourne. It's a great insight on the Australian mentality and some of the reasons why we love to hate the brits.

Forgive me if I am sounding dim - but what are the Shire Offices for each area, can you explain a little more please. I have googled what you wrote, but nothing is coming up?:wubclub:

Each state has suburbs, then those suburbs are grouped together and called shires (another word for counties) (Melbourne eg) Phillip Island is under the Bass coast shire.

What you will need to do is find the suburbs that you like then google what shire it is under.

Hope that helps

Geoffrey

Guest Gabby

i'M SO SORRY BUT i MISSED YOUR POST ON THE 6TH. names of Perth Hospital

Royal Perth --biggest teaching hospital,-- St John of Gods, Sir Charles Gardner,Queen Elizabeth , Swan District, Wanneroo, Joondalup, princess Margaret Childrens hospital.I think they are all the main ones in Perth W A not sure of names in other states--good luck wherever you land Gabby

Archived