South Gippsland

Petals

For those who wish to live a little further out and perhaps have some acreage, take a drive down the South Gippsland Highway, turn off at Lang Lang, drive through Nyora and up to Poowong that area is so lovely. We were up there yesterday some lovely homes and farms up there. Just have to watch out for milk tankers. The pub in Poowong has burnt down a couple of times but glad to see that its still there and rebuilt again.

If you drive towards Wonthaggi through Konwak and that way the views out to sea are lovely.

This area is close to Warrigal and Drouin and you can commute to southern areas of Melbourne from there a lot of people live in Drouin and commute to Dandenong and areas around there for work.

Lang Lang has some new subdivisions too and people just want to get away for peace and these are the places they go to. The acreage is affordable and they can get the house of their dreams.

I'll second that Petals, I am a regular visitor to Paynesville (East Gippsland) and its surrounds too are pretty, especially a (very) small town called Bruthen whose cafe does fresh scones, their own jams etc for morning tea on a Sunday. Yum.

Drouin has become really an outer outer part of Melbourne now, with its very affordable house and land packages. Too far for some people, but as you say if they work in Dandenong or surrounds....

My brother retired to Paynesville, and from Melbourne it takes me three and a half hours (a bit longer if I stop at some of the small towns on the way to look at their antique/bric a brac shops etc). The lakes are gorgeous down there. Well worth an overnight stay or two.

It is a nice area around there. I always thought I would like to live in Poowong if only for the name:biglaugh: They had a bit of a scare with the fires down that way this year though so hope they are protected for the next little while. One of my friends living near Drouin lost her home but she was fairly pragmatic about it - hope she continues to be!

It'd still be a bit of a hike into the CBD though wouldnt it?

• 3 weeks later...

The in laws live in Drouin/Warragul. It's not going to be long before it's a commuter suburb of Melbourne especially since the Packenham bypass opened up.

Lovely area, though it does tend to burn a bit; they lost a lot of property in February. They've just bought a house up here in the tropics and I'm discouraging them from moving here full time; I look forward to my annual break in the dairy country.

Guest IrishInOz

Excuse me!!!!

South Gippsland is supposed to be a secret; why did you have to go and tell everyone?

Excuse me!!!!

South Gippsland is supposed to be a secret; why did you have to go and tell everyone?

Sorry Irish, I have been loving Gippsland for years, the sleepy hamlet of Paynesville is a haunt of mine, only 15 - 20 minutes to Bairnsdale where there is all that big stuff you need, and far enough away to get some peace and quiet. :SLEEP: No concrete type Milton Keynes cows there either. Great drive to Sydney that way, better than the Hume Highway. Where do you live? Down there?

Archived