Opinions on Wellington Point and Cleveland please!!

Guest Bettyboop

Guest maidbabes

Hi Guys

Look no worries with spiders-yes they are here but redbacks are easy to spot and spray against,funnel web only in bush areas and mostly NSW.I work on health line we get very few severe spider bites in QLD.Snakes again you are lucky and I mean lucky if you see them around-i love snakes and have only seen 3-4 in 5 years and thats by looking for them!

Cane toads are yucky but they hop away from you-green tree frogs are lovely and I am proud to say i have one that lives in my yard area-it did scare my youngest the other night-he went for a wee and it was in the toilet bowl! but swam away-what a privilege to be home to something so cute!Mozzies are a problem they bite I swell but you know it has got better with years-less sore now.Dengue is more of a problem in nothern Qld not here in brisbane area.Just use spray at dusk or don't sit out till it goes dark,we burn coils etc.

It trully is beautiful here,the wildlife is fantastic do not focus on the nasty bits-people think it is much worse than is,especially where we live.

I think this is a fantastic place to live,we have to work the same and life is much the same as UK but the enviroment we are in is what makes it different and for me better.My boys may not be as academic at school but hey they can swim like fish they surf huge waves weekly,they are real happy teenagers,much more in tune with the enviroment and have developed great life skills.School is much more laid back as are WE queenslanders,but I embrace that now,I have opted out of the worries of how well my kids will achieve at school,I am no oxford professor so have accepted my kids are sometimes average like I and my husband were,sometimes and many times they are brilliant!we now prefer to let them choose their own path with just some guidance-it has only just happened and its been hard but they are now doing well .

I really wanted to say just don't worry ,enjoy the move ,love the place,you and your kids will be fine it WILL all work out .

Any questions let us know.Good luck to you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lara

xxxx

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Guys

Look no worries with spiders-yes they are here but redbacks are easy to spot and spray against,funnel web only in bush areas and mostly NSW.I work on health line we get very few severe spider bites in QLD.Snakes again you are lucky and I mean lucky if you see them around-i love snakes and have only seen 3-4 in 5 years and thats by looking for them!

Cane toads are yucky but they hop away from you-green tree frogs are lovely and I am proud to say i have one that lives in my yard area-it did scare my youngest the other night-he went for a wee and it was in the toilet bowl! but swam away-what a privilege to be home to something so cute!Mozzies are a problem they bite I swell but you know it has got better with years-less sore now.Dengue is more of a problem in nothern Qld not here in brisbane area.Just use spray at dusk or don't sit out till it goes dark,we burn coils etc.

It trully is beautiful here,the wildlife is fantastic do not focus on the nasty bits-people think it is much worse than is,especially where we live.

I think this is a fantastic place to live,we have to work the same and life is much the same as UK but the enviroment we are in is what makes it different and for me better.My boys may not be as academic at school but hey they can swim like fish they surf huge waves weekly,they are real happy teenagers,much more in tune with the enviroment and have developed great life skills.School is much more laid back as are WE queenslanders,but I embrace that now,I have opted out of the worries of how well my kids will achieve at school,I am no oxford professor so have accepted my kids are sometimes average like I and my husband were,sometimes and many times they are brilliant!we now prefer to let them choose their own path with just some guidance-it has only just happened and its been hard but they are now doing well .

I really wanted to say just don't worry ,enjoy the move ,love the place,you and your kids will be fine it WILL all work out .

Any questions let us know.Good luck to you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lara

xxxx

Hi Lara

I have seen three in my garden in the last two months!!!!!!!! I WASN'T looking for them!!!! We are on acreage though so it's bushland all around. It would be pretty rare to find them in a suburban garden!

In Sydney we had redbacks in the garden all the time, but 1 year in qld and I haven't seen a single one.

I also have a tame kangaroo that comes up to the fence. I have been very worried about it and called the wildlife people because it had an injury on it's neck which turned into a MASSIVE abcess. However, I'm happy to say that this morning her neck is looking much much better. The abcess is gone and it is all healing up well i think.

Oh and did I mention my 7 chickens.....and 2 dogs ........and 3 cats :v_SPIN:

Yet another beautiful winters day her in Qld. Temps of up to 25 degrees here in the Bayside.....28 by Sunday!!!!

Love

Rudi

x

Guest maidbabes

lucky you,I like to see the snakes.We are on over 1/4 acre but perhaps as we are ao close to the water they stay away! In redland bay we had a python that sunned itself on the concrete by our pool!!!

We have koalas etc frequenting our garden but no wallabies.

When we moved here it had heaps of redbacks but i recognised the nests and we sprayed them,so far they haven't returned which is good as they have a nasty bite to some people.

Just wanted to re assure the others that its nice and you really don't see nasty things that much-Honest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest r17ych

Thanks Lara that was a really reassuring post. I am really looking forward to getting out there, for me I am a typical mother anticipating any problems or dangers for my daughter. I read about all the nasties and think what am I doing exposing my baby to these risks! But I know you're right because if it was as bad as that then I am sure others and plenty of them wouldn't have done it before me. How old are your children and what school do they go to? How long have you been in Oz altogether is it 5 years or is that how long you have been in Brisbane? Nice to read your post.

Love

Raych x

Guest r17ych
Hi Lara

I have seen three in my garden in the last two months!!!!!!!! I WASN'T looking for them!!!! We are on acreage though so it's bushland all around. It would be pretty rare to find them in a suburban garden!

In Sydney we had redbacks in the garden all the time, but 1 year in qld and I haven't seen a single one.

I also have a tame kangaroo that comes up to the fence. I have been very worried about it and called the wildlife people because it had an injury on it's neck which turned into a MASSIVE abcess. However, I'm happy to say that this morning her neck is looking much much better. The abcess is gone and it is all healing up well i think.

Oh and did I mention my 7 chickens.....and 2 dogs ........and 3 cats :v_SPIN:

Yet another beautiful winters day her in Qld. Temps of up to 25 degrees here in the Bayside.....28 by Sunday!!!!

Love

Rudi

x

Hi Rudi

We have grey skies and rain!!!! My husband is flying out for a few days on Wednesday to meet the company who are sponsoring him, is the weather going to be good all week? I am so jealous he is going to see it before me!

Love

Raych x

Guest Bettyboop

Thanks for that post Lara that has re-assured me, I have a huge fear of spiders even here in the UK!! I have checked my bed every night for about 20 years checking for spiders!! but I guess for me because I am already in the habit of checking things for spiders over here it will be normal for me over there too!! I think my biggest worry is a spider biting me in bed at night because I had read on net that the funnel webs are mainly active at night but then again I later read that they cant climb!! I will not let my fears spoil my time in Australia though I am determined to embrace life out there and give it my all. For me its better to know everything there is to know about the things I am most worried about as in a funny sort of way it makes me feel better - more able to handle the situation should it come up.

I am really looking forward to getting out there and starting my adventure!! although I have some horrible times coming up in the UK first with lots of hard good byes and the furniture is going ahead of me and the children (its leaving in 3 weeks!!) so we will be sat in an empty house for quite a while! but once I get to Oz I am sure it will all be worth it!! I really cant wait!!

Angie xxxxx

Guest maidbabes

Hi Rach

My boys are 12,14,17, we have lived in the redlands over 5 years now-redland bay for 4 1/2 yrs then moved up to Cleveland ,husband works in wellington point,I was working in cleveland though just moved jobs.

Boys all started at redland bay state primary,then eldest went to Victoria point high,he finishes grade 12 this year,the other 2 I moved them to St Ritas in Victoria point,then middle one has gone on to carmel college the catholic college in Thornlands,my youngest joins him there in Jan 2010.

My eldest has done well at Victoria point and I like the very committed teachers there but it is not the right school for my other 2- i looked and liked Carmel it is small and not so heavy on the academic side but really good at confidence building in the kids.My middle son is a very talented guitarist and he is very individual and into alternative music-the school allow this expression and support him fully in his and his bands endeavours.

Its right that each child may need a different school to meet their potential I think.

We are full fledged citizens since 2006 and have gone north ,west and a little south for camping holidays and trips but still have not made it to sydney or melbourne!too much to do in Qld.

This is a great place ,if you PM me your husband can call over while on his trip if he wants to -have a nice aussie BBQ!!!!

Tomorrow is a holiday here so off to gold coast park with yougest and his friend,then lunch at the winery followed by WORK 6-11pm ,still has to be done unfortunately.

Lara

Hi Angie

Once upon a time a was a complete spider phobic. People say to me now that I could not possibley be as bad as they are....my answer to that is that the fact that they can have a conversation with me about spiders tells me they are not as bad as I used to be.

3 hours changed my life completely. I still hate them and they still have to die, but I am not a complete freak out and I can deal with them. I do not walk into a room and immediately have that sixth sense that there is a spider lurking on the ceiling. I no longer sit with my feet off the floor the whole time (yes - I used to do that!!!). I no longer obsess about them all the time.

I had the therapy around ten years ago. I was there for 3 hours and I cannot tell you what a difference it has made.....I'm no longer a complete phsyco!! (well unless you talk to my hubby about me LOL)

Don't worry about spiders too much. Just "bomb" your house every few months and that should keep them away!

Love

Rudi

x

Guest r17ych
Hi Rach

My boys are 12,14,17, we have lived in the redlands over 5 years now-redland bay for 4 1/2 yrs then moved up to Cleveland ,husband works in wellington point,I was working in cleveland though just moved jobs.

Boys all started at redland bay state primary,then eldest went to Victoria point high,he finishes grade 12 this year,the other 2 I moved them to St Ritas in Victoria point,then middle one has gone on to carmel college the catholic college in Thornlands,my youngest joins him there in Jan 2010.

My eldest has done well at Victoria point and I like the very committed teachers there but it is not the right school for my other 2- i looked and liked Carmel it is small and not so heavy on the academic side but really good at confidence building in the kids.My middle son is a very talented guitarist and he is very individual and into alternative music-the school allow this expression and support him fully in his and his bands endeavours.

Its right that each child may need a different school to meet their potential I think.

We are full fledged citizens since 2006 and have gone north ,west and a little south for camping holidays and trips but still have not made it to sydney or melbourne!too much to do in Qld.

This is a great place ,if you PM me your husband can call over while on his trip if he wants to -have a nice aussie BBQ!!!!

Tomorrow is a holiday here so off to gold coast park with yougest and his friend,then lunch at the winery followed by WORK 6-11pm ,still has to be done unfortunately.

Lara

Hi Lara, thank you for your lovely mail and invitation for my husband, it was so friendly and thoughtful of you. Paul is landing in Brisbane on Friday morning to spend time at the company he will be working for and again on Saturday. He is then being introduced to a real estate friend of the bosses who will be showing him around on Sunday before he leaves to fly home Sunday evening, so even though it would have been so nice for him to meet you he won't even be there long enough for jet lag to set in :wacko:. We will take a rain check on that invite and with any luck all three of us can take you up on it sooner rather than later.

It was very interesting reading your opinions on the schools, I, like you are more interested in Britt (14) being happy than any pressure for academic excellence being put on her. I would love dearly for her to go to a school that builds confidence as no matter what I set out to do when she was born, and that was always my ultimate goal, she doesn't have that much. I have looked at Carmel College on the internet already, and with you saying your son is a gifted guitar player, leads me to believe that that school had photographs of productions and concerts on their website. It was for that reason I think I discounted it as Britt hated drama in her school here because she hates being centre of attention or performing. So the thought of a school building a child's confidence is ideally what I am looking for but if that is through drama and performing I don't think it will suit her. I will defintely go and see if for myself though when we are there.

I look forward to meeting up with you when we get out there and thank you once again for your lovely gesture. I hope you have a lovely day tomorrow with your son and don't work too hard tomorrow night.

Speak soon

Love

Raych x

Blimey Raych, your hubby is a glutton for punishment!! Ah well, he can sleep on the plane!

I have found the schooling in Australia generally more focussed on producing well rounded adults rather than stressed out kids horribley focussed on pure academics. Sure, there are some schools whoch focus very much on academic achievements, but generally I think they are more relaxed here about it all.

Love

Rudi

x

Hi Rach

I can not get it scanned to you in time for friday, as I dont work until friday and would need to scan it there.

But I will PM you tomorrow, and outline the main streets, and then he will just have to look for the street.

Cheers

maddie

Guest r17ych
Hi Rach

I can not get it scanned to you in time for friday, as I dont work until friday and would need to scan it there.

But I will PM you tomorrow, and outline the main streets, and then he will just have to look for the street.

Cheers

maddie

Hi Maddie you are getting as confused as me as to who has asked what :biglaugh: If you are talking about scanning the areas to look at, I think it was bettyboop who asked you for it ha ha!

Love

Raych x

I am seriously dizzy these days, :laugh:

Hi Maddie you are getting as confused as me as to who has asked what :biglaugh: If you are talking about scanning the areas to look at, I think it was bettyboop who asked you for it ha ha!

Love

Raych x

Hi

Sorry if it is a little late but have not been to work as little one not to well, but if you sat nav these streets then you will find yourself in a few of the nicer areas (my opinion only and what is my cup of tea might not be someone elses etc)

Goddall St, and most houses of Marlborough Rd. This is wellington point area as opposed to Cleveland.

Alexandra Hills - head for Hanover Court and you will find nicer area in and around there.

As for the rest of my notes, god knows I can not make head nor tale of them, but hope this helps a bit.

Cheers

Maddie

Thanks for that post Lara that has re-assured me, I have a huge fear of spiders even here in the UK!! I have checked my bed every night for about 20 years checking for spiders!! but I guess for me because I am already in the habit of checking things for spiders over here it will be normal for me over there too!! I think my biggest worry is a spider biting me in bed at night because I had read on net that the funnel webs are mainly active at night but then again I later read that they cant climb!! I will not let my fears spoil my time in Australia though I am determined to embrace life out there and give it my all. For me its better to know everything there is to know about the things I am most worried about as in a funny sort of way it makes me feel better - more able to handle the situation should it come up.

I am really looking forward to getting out there and starting my adventure!! although I have some horrible times coming up in the UK first with lots of hard good byes and the furniture is going ahead of me and the children (its leaving in 3 weeks!!) so we will be sat in an empty house for quite a while! but once I get to Oz I am sure it will all be worth it!! I really cant wait!!

Angie xxxxx

Guest Bettyboop

Thanks Maddie

My hubby will be out there in a few weeks and will have a look at where you have suggested - thank you for that!

Hope your little one is ok now?

Love Angie xx

Guest r17ych

Sorry to be a pain Rudi and Lara but what are your thoughts on Burpengary near Narangba and how long in car to Fortitude Valley approx.

Thanks, don't know what Iwould do without you!

Love

Raych xxx

Oh dear and i am going to fail you miserably! I have NO idea!! I have never been there and no nothing about that area. if you go onto whereis.com you can get "directions" and that should tell you how long the journey is....I'd do it for you but my computer is on a go slow this morning!

Anyway, what are you looking at that area for, I thought we were all going to be new besties in the bayside :-)

Love

Rudi

x

Guest maidbabes

Hi Raych

have asked my husband as he has a friend and collegue who comes from there-Kallangur area.

Unfortunately coming from the north side into the valley is one of the busiest routes in peak hour traffic. Very slow all the way and often there are accidents every day on that route.Kingsford smith Drive from the gateway to the valley is also one of the busiest roads into town. Sorry-Am sure its done by many its whether you want to sit in traffic.

All things are personal,you may sacrifice commute times for living on sunshine coast.

Maybe live in the inner/outer suburbs if you have to work in the city,to cut down on travel times. Look at a map,however they will not be by the sea,but thats not everyones priority.

Its a nice area to live apparently but travel to the city is an issue if peak time of travel -ok outside of this time.

Hope that helps.

Lara

xxx

Sorry to be a pain Rudi and Lara but what are your thoughts on Burpengary near Narangba and how long in car to Fortitude Valley approx.

Thanks, don't know what Iwould do without you!

Love

Raych xxx

Guest r17ych

Thank you me little beauties, you never fail! Rudi you made me laugh thats what I said to my husband when he phoned me and told me an estate agent friend of his boss over there had said we should move to Nundah, Hendra, Ascot, Bulimba etc because I will feel isolated bayside and we should be based nearer his work and shops etc. I said the same as you, "but I've got friends already and I want to be near them" ha ha. I don't work though, I know Lara does can't remember Rudi do you? I also can't remember if Angie does. So I might be all on my lonesome!!! Nothing is decided anyway we are going to wait until we come over and have a proper look, although I am more in favour of bayside because all of you are there and I assume the sea breeze will help with the humidity. Paul is on his way home now and said it is beautiful and all the people he met were so friendly so I am looking forward to it so much. Can't wait to see you all and have a big party!

Thanks for being there and always answering my questions, but Rudi if you do work then you gonna have to stop!!! lol. Only joking!

Speak to you both soon.

Love

Raych xxx

(Hi, Angie I know you will get this too, hope you are ok. xxx)

ha ha rych, so funny, I completely scoured the south side from top to toe, just for hubbie to come and say, his boss says, the north is where we would want to be, same reasons as you. But watch this space, but fact is it is his job that counts, I will just go and sit on a park bench and smile at people as they walk past and hopefully they will take pity on me :)

So if you walk past and see an oddball smiling at strangers, you know it is me . :)

Work WORK? Wash out your mouth girl!!!

I work very hard at being a lady wot goes out to lunch........often :wubclub: only twice this week though. I was supposed to go walking with a friend this morning and then back for coffee, but she was sick....tomorrow I am cleaning (NOT), Wednesday I am taking my daughter to the doctors.....and I was supposed to meet a friend for coffee, but I will have to cancel because my daughter's appointment time has changed, Thursday I may go swimming with some friends (that'll be a laugh, I haven't swum in public for AGES and I may have to give myself a "trim" otherwise that would be gross before I go), and then I am off out for lunch and then on Friday I might meet the friend I was supposed to meet for coffee on Wednesday and THEN.....highlight of the week.....I am meeting Lara for the first time!!

Nah seriously, I don't work....I am a teacher in theory.....but um um um I um don't....teach that is!

Love

Rudi

x

Guest r17ych
ha ha rych, so funny, I completely scoured the south side from top to toe, just for hubbie to come and say, his boss says, the north is where we would want to be, same reasons as you. But watch this space, but fact is it is his job that counts, I will just go and sit on a park bench and smile at people as they walk past and hopefully they will take pity on me :)

So if you walk past and see an oddball smiling at strangers, you know it is me . :)

If I walk past and see you sitting on a bench, I will be calling the men in white coats or putting you back on a plane cos I will be in Queensland and I see you live in Victoria!!! :biglaugh:I am trying to be clever here I don't even know where Victoria is or if it is a plane ride away, is it Melbourne?:wacko:

Love

Raych x

Guest r17ych
Work WORK? Wash out your mouth girl!!!

I work very hard at being a lady wot goes out to lunch........often :wubclub:only twice this week though. I was supposed to go walking with a friend this morning and then back for coffee, but she was sick....tomorrow I am cleaning (NOT), Wednesday I am taking my daughter to the doctors.....and I was supposed to meet a friend for coffee, but I will have to cancel because my daughter's appointment time has changed, Thursday I may go swimming with some friends (that'll be a laugh, I haven't swum in public for AGES and I may have to give myself a "trim" otherwise that would be gross before I go), and then I am off out for lunch and then on Friday I might meet the friend I was supposed to meet for coffee on Wednesday and THEN.....highlight of the week.....I am meeting Lara for the first time!!

Nah seriously, I don't work....I am a teacher in theory.....but um um um I um don't....teach that is!

Love

Rudi

x

Well thats settled then bayside it is! :realmad:How dare you two meet up without me gonna be bezzies hey gonna bond without me hey well thats just charmin!!!!

Start a new trend Rudi, don't shave, PLAIT!!! I promise it will catch on!

How is your daughter, whats the matter with her that you need to go the doctors now for is she not getting better? Talking of which whats the situation over there with swine flu, do you know many with it and how are they diagnosing it? Do they give Tamiflu readily? I know more questions questions questions but hey you signed up for it and if you wish to receive then you have to give.

Love

Raych xxx

Well thats settled then bayside it is! :realmad:How dare you two meet up without me gonna be bezzies hey gonna bond without me hey well thats just charmin!!!!

Start a new trend Rudi, don't shave, PLAIT!!! I promise it will catch on!

How is your daughter, whats the matter with her that you need to go the doctors now for is she not getting better? Talking of which whats the situation over there with swine flu, do you know many with it and how are they diagnosing it? Do they give Tamiflu readily? I know more questions questions questions but hey you signed up for it and if you wish to receive then you have to give.

Love

Raych xxx

Oh but I might trip over my plait.......

My daughter has a sore thumb!! Not very glamorous. She is a diver (springboard and platform) and she's got an injury which is causing her a lot of pain. We have to see the specialist to check there are no breaks and to hopefully get a splint made to protect her thumb when she dives.

Swine flu - no idea!

Love

Rudi

x

Archived