best state/city for electrician to find work!?!?

seekingsunshine

just wondered if any electricians out there could give their thoughts on the work situation in their state/city?

we were planning on moving to Adelaide but just been looking on a thread on there which says there isnt much electrical work around....obviously i know this is the case probably everywhere at the minute!

my hubby is fully qualified in Uk - we're just going thru TRA to get him recognised in Oz (goin on spouse visa) then were going to do PEER course in Adelaide.... just trying to decide where to move to!.

when i checked out electrician jobs on seek.com there was a huge amount of work in Melbourne..... any melbourne electricians out there? what are your thoughts?

anyone who is anywhere else? any advice on current work would be greatly appreciated!

thanks all :)

Guest CatP

Hi, my OH is an electrician and we are off to Melbourne. We applied for SS and it was accepted immediately which to us seemed like there must be jobs out there. However, after speaking to someone on here who is a leccy in Melbourne he told us there us nothing in Melbourne at the moment! All highly confusing but we both cannot see why they would approve SS within 2 weeks if there were no jobs for him?? Confused.com. My OH has said that if he can't get a job as a leccy straight away he will have to do something else until a leccy job comes up. Suppose its just about winging it but we don't have children to consider.

• 2 years later...
Guest MELBSPARKY

Beware, fellow countrymen If you are deciding on which state to go for work, do not consider Victoria. Firstly, you wont find work in country Victoria. Secondly, It will probably take you a long time to find work in Melbourne. There are very few opportunities for stable ongoing full time employment there. You'll be struggling to find find casual work that will last a few weeks. I'm giving you this information first hand. Go to Western Australia, everyone has work and there is a skills shortage in the state. You can choose to work in Perth or in the north west and you'll find work immediately. Also the weather in Melbourne is terrible, 6-7 months or constant overcast gloomy weather, you'd hate it, don't bother.:no:

Archived