mobile phones

Guest bshootz

Guest bshootz

Hi all,

has anyone got any advice on mobile phones, can you take the ones from the uk and get another sim card............not sure what to do.

Thanks.

Beckyx

On our reccie in April we bought a vodafone sim card out there to put in my uk mobile - paid $39 which included sim + $150 of credit, which we used to book campsites etc whilst out there - alot cheaper than calling from our uk mobile/sim

Kath

Get it unlocked before you leave UK - much easier to find someone there who will do it. You can usually find a "little man in the market" who will do it for a fiver then you can take your pick of the Aus telcos. Personally I like Virgin but whatever is best for where you are.

Many UK mobile companies will supply you with an unlock key if you have been with them for a number of months or years, they may charge you for the unlock code around £30 but at least it will be unlocked officialy instead of from a geezer down the local market. I did this with Virgin mobile. Unfortunately Virgin sent me the wrong unlock code and I ended up permanantley locking the phone so they sent me a brand new unlocked model and this is even after telling them I was cancelling my contract and leaving the country. I would talk to your network provider first to see if they can do it...

Guest bshootz

Thanks very much for your replies.:wubclub:

Will defo get them unlocked.

Thanks again.

Beckyx

all the unlocking codes are on internet, some phones you can't do but they are all there if you look. wifes phone couldn't unlock because its a new one!!!!!!! Great, mine is 2yrs old and just put a vodaphone sim into an O2 phone and worked no problem??? there seems little ryme or reason to it all.

Consider your provider if you're going out of the major cities; the only coverage you get worth mentioning out bush is Telstra, ignore what Optus say about their coverage; it's rubbish.

I'm in rural areas a lot, I can't use anything other than a Telstra Country phone (it's got an aerial which is rare these days), plus a high gain car aerial, and the amount of dead spots is still high. But with vodaphone I don't get signal at all unless I stand at the end of my drive.

Not applicable if you're hanging around major cities, but go outside them and many providers struggle.

Archived