Is anyone heading to Newcastle NSW October time?

Guest Australia

Guest robbyhooper

Thanks , i'm looking forward to just getting there and getting settled in , but not looking forward to the flight with owain my 2 year old boy

Rob , Meredith , Megan 10 and Owain 2

HI there,

We've been in Newcastle since the end of April, My sister lives here too so we have been staying with her and are getting the keys to our house in Adamstown on Friday Very exited. THe container with all our belongings came in on friday so it should be with us in two weeks.

My Husband is a mechanic and got a job after being here for 3 weeks which was great. I have two boys a 2 year old and a 6 year old and they have settled in really well my oldest loves school and being out doors more. He goes to merewether heights school cause that's where my sister lives and is a really nice area.

The beaches in newcastle are wonderfull even in the winter i've taken the kids to the beach and they loved it. I'm starting to get a bit home sick now but when we get all our stuff i'm sure it will be much better.

As someone said earlier there are some lovely suburbs to live in but I would agree to aviod Mayfield and islington. And there is loads for the kids to do there are even play areas in kotara shopping centre.

If anyone wants to meet up when they get here that would be good.

Hi

I was too in your situation not long ago but things do get better once your stuff arrives especially all the kids toys etc,but I can remember when our container arrived I just wanted to say don't unpack as I wanted to go home I was having one of those days when everything in the UK was better as I was very homesick,fortnately those days are very few and far between at the moment I have made some lovely friends and we go shopping,walks and coffee mornings (my two boys Jordan 10 and Elliot 5 are at school ) so I'm actually quite busy but in reality I think I may have to get a part time job maybe after the Summer!! (I'm in no rush but don't tell my husband that) I think we should organise a PIO meet up in a park for all us newies to Newcastle what does everybody think?

Guest robbyhooper

the meet up sounds good to us , we should be there september ish ,

Rob , Meredith, megan 10 , Owain 2 and 2 westies

Caerphilly , South Wales to Newcastle , New South Wales

• 1 month later...
Guest Staffordshire Lad

Hi Folks,

Well im eighteen, and i have come with my parents, and my sister, We came to newcastle.

I arrived in febuary being here for five months now,

Things are still very hard, i left alot back home

Hopefully things will get better,

How is everyone???

Home sickness is some times a problem,

Its hard for everyone i no, i hope your all ok as we are all in the same boat,

P.S i think the sound of everyone meeting up is a brilliant idea :D

Take care all and lets put a toast up to a new life

x x x

Guest robbyhooper

Hi Staffy Lad

We are just waiting on the solicitors to agree a date on exchanging contracts for our house then we can book to come to newcastle , i can understand the homesick feeling as i lived in sydney for 6 years when i was 22 i'm now 40 , i found the first two years were tough but after that it was fine , making friends or joining some sort of club is the key. good luck

Rob , Meredith , Megan 10 , Owain 2

Guest Staffordshire Lad

That sounds cool mate,

Well i hope you all come over and ill welcome you maybe show around with my family

How are things back in england

Thanks for the advice mate much appreciated

Hope to hear from you soon

• 2 months later...
Guest robbyhooper

i noticed your email about anybody going to newcastle well we arrived in sydney last week and have just found a house to rent in adamstown heights newcastle but had to pay the first 6 months in advance to secure the property as so many people wanted it and the fact we had two dogs , but it does look like a good area , we move in next wednesday , we found it very hard to get a house to rent that we wanted and just had to take what we could in the end .

all the best

Rob , Meredith , Megan and Owain

• 7 months later...
Guest carts1976

Gad day mate, another pom going down under.........

My hubby and I are hopefully moving to the Newcastle area, he has an interview with this current company Oz office near Newcastle at the end of June and then if he is offered the role we should be there by end of the year, just in time for summer :biggrin:

He is also an engineer and is an engineering manager for a bulk materials handling company in the UK, it will be similar role in Oz and Newcastle is all about mining and coal, plus other industrys, coal is thier largest export.

I work in recruitment but I am hoping to move into an internal recruitment or HR role and have a change when we arrive, so I have been looking into college courses and there is def more choice than my local college in the UK.

Because hubby's role will be in (might be) further north of Newcastle I have been looking at Anna, Tingle, Salamander and Nelson Bay as an area to live, which looks lovely- but bit concerned it might be too quiet for us, we are in our early 30's and have no children and like to got out for good food and a few drinks, cinema and have friends round for drinks. I also enjoy watching rugby and we are both very active and enjoy the great outdoors. Is this an area anyone is familar with? or can anyone rec an area near to Thornton near a beach ( sea view) that would be nice?

I am so excited and hope the interview goes well, fingers crossed!!

Would love to hear from anyone else moving to the same area and share info xx:jiggy:

• 7 months later...
That sounds cool mate,

Well i hope you all come over and ill welcome you maybe show around with my family

How are things back in england

Thanks for the advice mate much appreciated

Hope to hear from you soon

Mate, just arrived here from Brighton. You settling in good now? I guess it takes a bit of time .)

Archived