Is anyone heading to Newcastle NSW October time?

Guest Australia

Guest Australia

:wubclub:Hey Gday Mates!!

Just wondered if any of you guys are heading to Newcastle NSW October time?

Hubbie and I are hoping to go over to Newcastle October time and would be brilliant to share the ups and downs of emigrating.

Were both excited and nervous, but so ready to go now.

Hope to sell the house before we go.

Hubbie is an engineer and is thinking of getting a job with the company he currently works for, as it will prob make everything easier when we arrive.

Anyway if anybody is moving over to Newcastle soon or if anybody has any tips about Newcastle and the surrounding area would be great to hear from you!!

Kirstie and Marc- Excited, nervous and ready for the adventure!!:jiggy:

hey australia!

We are thinking of going newcastle as well,we fly on the 8 oct to sydney.Im an engineer as well (horizontal/vertical borer conventional or cnc)newcastle looks good for our kind of work.Doing cv at moment send it out and see what happens. What does hubbie do for a living is it the engineering what i do?

All the best to you both be good to keep in touch maybe have a beer together when we get there.

Guest Australia

Hey there, yeah Hubbie is a fitter so could work in Power Stations etc.. Im not sure what Im goin to do when I first get there. Looking forward to making new friends and starting a fresh life together!!

Good luck to you guys too, you never know we could meet up and have a few toohies and prawns on the barbie!!!

:wub:

Guest AMCD

Hi Kirstie and Marc, If ye have any questions about Newcastle that I can help you with feel free to shout. I can send you my email in private msg if you want. I arrive in Newcastle at the end of January this year and all has gone fairly well so far.

Guest Australia

Hi

what are you doing job wise in Newcastle? Are there plenty of places and things to do?Do you have any photos of the area? How many of you have gone out there?

Hope all is well in OZ!:jiggy:

Guest AMCD

I work as a lecturer/researcher at the uni. As for Newcastle, well it's a nice little spot in many areas but is a city that is very much trying to renew and rebuild and the centre has a lot of work to do in that respect. However, there are some great developments on the harbour by honeysuckle, and some fantastic beaches as well. There are some nice suburbs and a few decent places to eat etc. I find it a quite place for someone in my situation. I arrived on my own and am in my mid to late 20s. Rather than being a real city, it is a series of suburbs onto one another. Definitely a more laid better and probably better standard of living than sydney or melbourne in one respect but it does depend on everyones interests etc.

Regarding pictures I have a few but not on this computer but if you want send me your email and I can forward a few. Otherwise do a google search - have a look at Honeysuckle, Nobby's, Bar Beach etc and you will see some of the best parts of Newcastle.

Guest robbyhooper

Hi

We are off to newcastle about september/october time , me my wife two young kids and two dogs we were looking at the kotara area ? but not sure what suburbs will suit us (cost,kid friendly etc).

good luck with your move

Rob

Guest AMCD

Can't really advise on kid situation but Newcastle is a kid friend place anyway and no matter where you go will be much cheaper than Sydney. Kotara - big shopping centre there seems ok, also Lambton, Merewether (bit more expensive) etc are decent places but there would be better people to advise given you will be looking for schools etc

Hi there. I live in Kotara a suburb of newcastle. I have been here with my hubby and 4 young kids since November. Hubby works as a ceramic tiler in the mining industry as his day job and is in the process of turning our basement into a recording studio. What can I say about the place. Newcastle as a city is a bit depressing and run down but is in the process of regeneration. The beaches are out of this world. the harbourside stunning. As a mum I love taking the kids to Newie beach as we can hop on the train a short walk and we are there. I love the toddler area at newie and the pools. The kids also adore blackbutt reserve.

There are some lovely suburbs close to Newie. I dont really like mayfield Islington and stockton but Kotara Charlestown New lambton are excellent. The kids love there new school and have settled really well and the people of Newie are friendly and welcoming. Theres a fab english Lolly shop at the junction too :D

Guest AMCD

Agreed on that, stay away from Islington and Mayfield areas of city. Yes that is a great sweet shop at the Junction - seeing that I only a few mins walk from it - it can take effort not to enter!

Agreed on that, stay away from Islington and Mayfield areas of city. Yes that is a great sweet shop at the Junction - seeing that I only a few mins walk from it - it can take effort not to enter!
:biglaugh::biglaugh:I made a trip today just for some walkers crisps!! beware aussie crisps you get 4 to a packet!

Guest AMCD

Well I won't be heading for Walkers Crisps - Irish crips are better!! Hard to beat a packet of Tayto's!

Well I won't be heading for Walkers Crisps - Irish crips are better!! Hard to beat a packet of Tayto's!

How are you finding the night life amcd? Me and my hubby are struggling a bit after London! Im 30 hes 28 and although we have a young family we are not quite ready to roll over and play dead! So far we have tried the brewery not bad but made us feel ancient the clarendon and the civic hotel both deadly quiet for a saturday night. We did q up for fannys nightclub but decided it didnt look like our kind of place :biglaugh:

Guest robbyhooper

Hi cjdamoo

My daughters 10 and son is 2 what schools do you send your kids to

Thanks

Rob,Meredith , megan 10 and owain 2

My kids attend Kotara South primary the school age 3 are 5 6 and 10. We also viewed Belair and The local catholic school but the feel at Kotara South swung it for us

Guest Stefan Watts

I studied at Newcastle uni and absolutely loved it, it's the sixth largest city in Australia and has lots to offer. I have been back in the UK now for six years or so but usually get back there once a year - its changing a lot - lots of development which is great!

I lived in Bar Beach, which is lovely, also Merewether, The Junction, Cooks Hill fun places to live! Make your way down to Darby street for breakfast/lunch/dinner and coffee, go to the Bogie hole for a swim and enjoy the beautiful beaches! Newy is a really relaxed place to be and I love it, you can now get a sea plane from Sydney (northern beaches I think) up to Newy in about 40 mins - I have tried it yet but hope to when I'm back in Sydney in October.

Have a look on Google Street View to see what the different suburbs are like.

Enjoy!

Stefan

Have a

Guest Stefan Watts

cjdamoo

Just seen your post re nightlife. I'm 29 and moved to Newy ten years ago, back in London now.

When I am back in Newy I certainly realise I am a lot older, as a student it was Customs House, The Great Northern (which was being developed when I was last there), the Mercury, Surf City and Fannys!

Have you been down to the Foreshore, the Beaches in Merewether on a Sunday is good though maybe a young crowd, or maybe some of the bars on Darby, used to be a place called Drop Bear - not sure if its still there. For restaurants, good friend of mine an online restaurant directory which might help? www.eatlocal.com.au

Stefan

Guest AMCD

Night life is a bit of a struggle for a young single irish bloke. still at the stage of trying to build a social circle but so far i'm thinking there ain't much to to go to!

Guest robbyhooper

Would anyone know if there are any football(soccer)clubs looking for a 40 year old welsh man who still thinks he can play ? in the Kotara area

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, My husband is 40+ and has recently started playing for a team at Belmont,they are looking for new players and seen as you're welsh then it would complete the set as his friends are Irish,Scottish and English

Theres a fab football team right in Kotara meets at Nesbit park Grayson Ave every Wednesday and Saturday. They have a veterans team over 35s only

Guest robbyhooper

Thanks for that i will look them up when i get there , just getting everything sorted for the big move

Rob,Meredith,Megan,Owain

Hi there, we've been in Newcastle for 6 months now, OH is also at the uni, and also from NI, we've a heap of kids, but I'm way too old and square for the nightlife! It's 10.15pm and I've had my hot chocolate!!

Anyway! We're loving Newcastle! We live in New Lambton Heights which is near the John Hunter (very useful with a houseful of boys...) and on the main bus routes into town, the uni or down to the Lake. The kids are at 2 different schools and all very happy. If money were no object I would love to live near The Junction, Bar Beach or Cooks Hill, but most of the suburbs further out of town seem really nice and with lots going on.

Rob, I'm sure if you have a wander round any of the parks on a saturday you'll find blokes having a kick around, there's certainly an over-35's team at Lambton. My husband played one match at the start of the season and broke his wrist!! It's to be in a cast for another 2 months!

KAS as for Scottish, Irish and English, we pretty much cover all 3 in our family!

Archived