Job situation in Australia

byrned

Guest Mrs C

I have to agree with Kim (usually do anyway lol) We have been here since September and my Husband has been in and out of work. I have been in the same job since October but not by choice. I was an area manager for Avon Cosmetics in the Uk and couldn't even get a job at David Jones here in Australia. You need a license to fart over here!

April

Guest guest30038
Oh come on mate. Surely you can identify the company .. one to back your claim and two so that Poms in Oz will gain a friendly contact and maybe even a job.

Mate, you should know as well as I do, that identifying a company without permission, may have repercussions for the employee. Both he and his wife are members here so if he feels fit to identify, then that is his prerogative, not mine.

Edit as an afterthought...........it isn't my claim, it's the claim of the company. As another afterthought, I don't need to back my claim, I don't have anything to prove here.

kev

Not subject to that information, only to what the interviewer (a Pom) told the employee at interview.............subsequently seeming to be borne out by that employees experience since starting work there. He is a member of this site so he may just step in to this thread..........if he isn't too busy working.................he's probably in bed now, knackered :biglaugh:

kev

Nice that his knackered for being overworked, whats his trade? Hope that if his new employers company is that busy that he would have permission to spread the word on here to give others eager to work the chance if more jobs are available and of course the boss likes poms so he would be advertising at the right place here:v_SPIN:

Guest guest30038

Nice that his knackered for being overworked, whats his trade? Hope that if his new employers company is that busy that he would have permission to spread the word on here to give others eager to work the chance if more jobs are available and of course the boss likes poms so he would be advertising at the right place here:v_SPIN:

Like I say, spreading the word is his prerogative............he's a gas fitter/plumber and as I say, recently arrived, so that will narrow the search down a little to the PIO member.

have to add though, that it's not all roses..........his missus is struggling to find work, even after sitting at my computer for 2 hours each of the last few days.

kev

Like I say, spreading the word is his prerogative............he's a gas fitter/plumber and as I say, recently arrived, so that will narrow the search down a little to the PIO member.

have to add though, that it's not all roses..........his missus is struggling to find work, even after sitting at my computer for 2 hours each of the last few days.

kev

I think it is easier if at least one of you has a decent income, financial worries can ruin the move here. Now back to your friend:biglaugh: the oh is refrigeration/air-con well thats what he passed the TRA on, but his also mechanical services, plumber !! Ask your friend to put in a word please:cute:

Oh and is his missus in admin?

Guest guest30038

I think it is easier if at least one of you has a decent income, financial worries can ruin the move here. Now back to your friend the oh is refrigeration/air-con well thats what he passed the TRA on, but his also mechanical services, plumber !! Ask your friend to put in a word please:cute:

Will do, and no, she was a team leader in disability support. They seem to need a masters degree here if you want to push a bloody wheelchair! I never realised how much things had changed since we came here as I've never had to look for work. I could sense her frustration having to apply for a job at places like Bunnings and Coles..........still, if that's what ya gotta do to get a start?

She'll probably fill you in tomorrow if she comes round to use the computer for further job search............hers is on the wharf waiting to be released.............her current coffee table is a suitcase :biglaugh:

kev

I´m sorry for you, we are in same situation, my husband lost his job 6 weeks ago, sent off hundreds of cv´s to various agencies, companies, etc, till now 1 single interview!! Very stressful and frustrating, especially since we were on a 457 visa, we have to find a sponsor soon or risk having to leave!!!!

I´m sorry for your situation and truly understand as my husband has also lost his job 6 weeks ago, sent hundreds of cv´s to agencies and various companies and up to now 1 single interview!! Very stressful and frustrating, especially since we are on a 457 visa and will have to get a sponsor soon or risk having to leave australia!!!!

I appreciate the advice about how hard it is out there, BUT. I have the 475 temp Visa which i have to validate by December 2009 i am 42, passed my TRA 18 months ago before the goal posts were moved so could not do that again.House is waiting to go through and stepdaughter and 3 grandkids are all emigrating. Really dont think we got much choice but "to go for it".

In peoples opinion where do you think theres more job opportunitys Geelong (regional Victoria) or South Australia Adelaide.

HI Pez

My friends in Aus are advising their 457 friends who have lost their jobs to go northern territory way - not ideal for many but could be seen as a temporary fix till the market picks up.

Best of luck with everything, hope it all works out for you x

Guest Vim Fuego
Why do I have the feeling a panicked 'Emergency' email did the rounds of those who for some reason (although claiming to be Poms in Oz) consistently make claims that fly in the face of the majority ? It sometimes sounds as if they work for the Oz government

Step AWAY from the bong ... :wub:

Guest AndyandYvonneD
Oh come on mate. Surely you can identify the company .. one to back your claim and two so that Poms in Oz will gain a friendly contact and maybe even a job.

Hi Guys,

Burnett, before I go any further, I find it very insulting that you should ask itcouldbeworse (Kev) to back up his claim in relation to what he has posted on here in good faith, in the hope that it will help others. He is a family member of ours and does not need to back anything he writes about us to anyone. Your response (asking him to "back his claim") reads to me as if you are inferring that his post may in some way be untrue. If this is not the case, then you should make that clear. If I have got the wrong end of the stick, then I apologise in advance.

those interested......A quick update on the job situation.................Andy was offered a job as a gas fitter with a company here, his job offer came from when he went to get his gas licence (he was recommended to the firm by the gas examiner). So yes Burnett, jobs are available here, in our case it was Andy being in the right place at the right time and making the right impressions. I am not going to give the name of the company out without Andy saying OK for me to do so as he himself has only been working for them for 4 weeks now and would not know how the company would view this being given out on an open forum.

I can assure you though, that the majority of the staff at this company are poms and are very well thought of.................and therefore the staff think highly of the company in turn.

Andy got issued a company vehicle, phone, and the company also helped him out with tools (as his are still sat at the docks waiting for bloody quarantine inspections):arghh:

I will ask him to keep his ears open for any vacancies that may arise, but as you are aware it is early days for him at this company too. Andy is a qualified plumber and gas fitter by trade.

Yvonne

Guest AndyandYvonneD

I think it is easier if at least one of you has a decent income, financial worries can ruin the move here. Now back to your friend:biglaugh: the oh is refrigeration/air-con well thats what he passed the TRA on, but his also mechanical services, plumber !! Ask your friend to put in a word please:cute:

Hi Kdal,

I understand how frustrating the situation is for you............please see the above post. It may be worth going down the gas licence route (if not already done so and is able to).

Good Luck and feel free to either pm itcouldbeworse (Kev) or me and Andy for any further information and if we can help in anyway we will do. Kev, will pass any messages onto us as we are still waiting for our furniture to pass through customs and as yet we have no computer, unless we either go to the library or come here and use Kev's computer.

Good Luck

Yvonne

Farm work my experience in Victoria.

I have tried farm work out of the last 3 months there has only been 2 months of work available.

All of it is casual contract (was informed no longer required at 5pm on Friday!).

The work at the farm had been completed weeks ahead of schedule.

The rate of pay for farm work is 15 to 16.50 dollars per hour for work done through the books.

No penalty rates for Sunday or bank holidays!

The official working hours 8 to 5 but the farmer expected workers to work

Half an hour extra unpaid!

I have spoken to number of people who work on farms there is not the same availability of work on farms as there has been in previous years.

There is still work but it is intermittent.

Well when we arrived 2 years ago there were loads of jobs in Perth/WA for sparkies - even up to the end of last year hubby was getting calls from agents. Now however it seems to have dried up - he lost his job a few weeks ago, and has applied for loads - he did get 2 interviews for 2 different jobs, at the 2nd interview he asked when he`d hear - he was told by the company owner- I`ll tell you now you have the job,start 4th June, the first job called him n said very interested just waiting on references, hubby said - no need been offered another job. However a week later when he still hadn`t had anything in writing he called company to be told sorry has no one been in touch - you didn`t get job!! To say that we are extremely peed off right now would be a massive understatement. The hard lesson learnt - believe no one until it`s writing - we feel like right mugs.

Guest fatpom

I have tried farm work out of the last 3 months there has only been 2 months of work available.

All of it is casual contract (was informed no longer required at 5pm on Friday!).

The rate of pay for farm work is 15 to 16.50 dollars per hour for work done through the books.

I have spoken to number of people who work on farms there is not the same availability of work on farms as there has been in previous years.

Only half an hour? Luxury!

Guest Nev&Jo

Hi All,

I have just moved to Brisbane with my aussie wife to be who has been in the UK for ten yrs.

We don't have a lot of cash, but some to keep us going for a while and we are lucky to have friends and family here to support us. We are living with my in-laws at the mo which is a great start for us here and will help us hands down until we get on our feet again.

The point i would like to make is that back in the Uk we both got laid off from our jobs. My good lady works in PR and i worked in the automotive trade.... But as i am also a carpenter by trade, i was able to find a little renovation work for a month or two. Jo managed to find a temp job making tea and filling photo copy machines which she found ok but of course was not feeding her brain.

So all in all people just keep your chin up and held high because the work situation is the same world wide over.. and it will take a good year or two before recovery in most fields and areas happen. Or we will see the world that we live in change forever. In the last twenty years the planet has got way to big for our own good and these rich bankers etc (ohh it makes me mad) have just helped to knock us down a peg or two......

If you do have a job and childern etc that are settled, stay put a little longer.. You will find it will be worth it.

Unless you do have the family and funds to help and support you..

Good luck to us all,

Nev & Jo

The national minimum wage is £5.73 per hour here and farm hands earn that here don't they? Also they don't come under the Working Times Regs so regularly work more than 48 hours a week. Also there is no such thing as time and a half for Bank Holidays and Sunday working in Law they are just another working day.

Its a tough line of work in all countries I beleive. Really tough.

Archived