Job situation in Australia

byrned

This is how it is !

I have been in melbourne 4years made redundant 5weeks ago

I have applied for 84 so called vacancies 2interviews 5 replies

If you want to believe the you never know if you try brigade that you can just come and somthing will turn up just be sure you are prepared and have a fair wedge of cash behind you, especially 457 visas and permanent as you will have 2 yr wait period for help ie dole.

I spoke to one recruitment manager today she told me she had 114 resmes for one crappy cabinet maker job $17 per hour she also said in confidence 60% of jobs have already been taken on the job-seeking websites.

As a apprentice trained carpenter joiner having spent 25 years working in uk and many eu countries believe me IT COUNTS FOR JACK SHT!

Aussies will always stick with their own [ Who can blame them look at the mess we have made back home]

I dont want to be mr doom & gloom but it needs to be said the work situation is dire & it is going to get alot worse.

A lot of my friends are now worried for jobs and are on 3/4 days a week some have lost their jobs already and more going, comp i worked for laid off 50 when i went, and i know there will be more to go.

Moving here is a big enough challenge even when you are working, I had a job to come to and a fair amount of money which i have held onto (phew) do your research read the ozzy newspapers look at the job forcast for this country but do not believe all the i love it in oz poms who just say go for it, I actually like living here kids are settled, but I feel for new people on the way, especially in the building trade. for all those that have work in uk in the building industry i would say stay where you are and wait until it picks up here, just want you to be careful money is hard enough to come by for some folks especially people with kids Australia will still be here.

Guest Quwa

Scary realisation for many i think with that post Bryned. My partner is a safety netter and i am an office worker, moving over in November but now thinking maybe we should hold off a little. There are lots of jobs on the websites so bit concerned that 60% are filled, thats what they are doing here, faking job adverts, pretending still open so that they can get you on their books but no job will come your way. Very mean.

My friends in Perth have been there 4years, he is a structural engineer, his company went from 100+ to 18!!! he is 4days a week now as well. I know work is available for my OH on the rigs so maybe we will be ok and i can do anysort of project admin, office manager etc BUT it is a massive concern that we will be worse off than we are here.

Some tough thinking and decisions for many ahead i think. Good luck with everything Bryned

Guest Shreen

My nest friend (who is an aussie) moved back to Australia with her English boyfriend last June, they are currently living in Sydney and both can't find jobs and she is an aussie! Thye told me it would be a mistake to move out there at the moment, there is no jobs and people are down. We wanted to move out in Feb 2010 but have now put it back to Aug/ Sep 2010

This is how it is !

I have been in melbourne 4years made redundant 5weeks ago

I have applied for 84 so called vacancies 2interviews 5 replies

If you want to believe the you never know if you try brigade that you can just come and somthing will turn up just be sure you are prepared and have a fair wedge of cash behind you, especially 457 visas and permanent as you will have 2 yr wait period for help ie dole.

I spoke to one recruitment manager today she told me she had 114 resmes for one crappy cabinet maker job $17 per hour she also said in confidence 60% of jobs have already been taken on the job-seeking websites.

As a apprentice trained carpenter joiner having spent 25 years working in uk and many eu countries believe me IT COUNTS FOR JACK SHT!

Aussies will always stick with their own [ Who can blame them look at the mess we have made back home]

I dont want to be mr doom & gloom but it needs to be said the work situation is dire & it is going to get alot worse.

A lot of my friends are now worried for jobs and are on 3/4 days a week some have lost their jobs already and more going, comp i worked for laid off 50 when i went, and i know there will be more to go.

Moving here is a big enough challenge even when you are working, I had a job to come to and a fair amount of money which i have held onto (phew) do your research read the ozzy newspapers look at the job forcast for this country but do not believe all the i love it in oz poms who just say go for it, I actually like living here kids are settled, but I feel for new people on the way, especially in the building trade. for all those that have work in uk in the building industry i would say stay where you are and wait until it picks up here, just want you to be careful money is hard enough to come by for some folks especially people with kids Australia will still be here.

I totally agree with your post.... having been made redundant twice in the past 6 months. It is not that easy to get a job over here, granted I am now working and was very lucky to get a job within 3 days of being made redundant, however, I think that was down to timing, as they needed someone in a hurry.

I agree that is also not easy to get work doing anything, as so many on here have suggested to people coming over, granted chances are you may not get something in your field, but even doing something like working in a supermarket is getting harder. There was a position open at an IGA on the deli and they had over 500 applicants for the position.

So I would think very carefully if you are coming over here and have no job to come to.

Karen

you are right byrn, they will take their own on before a brit, understandable really.

QUWA dont think its easy getting an office job cause it aint!! I have been an accounts manager/admin for 20 yrs and it counted for nothing. The bloody agencies are nothing like they are at home, they dont giv a rootin tootin s..t! Took me 6 mths to get a job and its back down to junior level just to get on the aussie payroll. There were loads of jobs on seek and papers but didnt have 1 reply!! If it wasnt for Serina Russo and some lovely gals working there, I still wouldnt be in a job!!

As Byrn says do your research as I thought it was all hunky dory find a job no prob. I think unless your nurses over here, it gonna be tough getting a job at the mo.

Good Luck Guys

jules x

Guest marriedtoanaussie

AGREE....My Aussie husband has really struggled over here for work-even with contacts that go way back. My advice:if you really want to come over here right now, moving dogs, cats, pulling children out of schools etc....please please secure a job first or have a very strong lead to a job. Failing that, make sure you have pots of money to live on when you get here. Getting a VISA does not equal getting work, like sunshine does not equal happiness.

Guest bowbrum03
I know work is available for my OH on the rigs so maybe we will be ok

Dont know where you got that info from, but you will be far from ok.

Bryned, that more or less mirrors my experience in Perth, I posted it in the WA forum. I applied for 70-odd IT jobs, had 2 interviews, not many replies. Luckily, I am working now.

The agencies are crap and the Aussies tend to look after their own (it was explained to me that a major reason for that is so many Brits suddenly up sticks and go home, we are all tarred!!).

Guest Quwa

Bowbrum, please note i did right 'maybe ok' and i got my information from friends in Perth who currently have direct contact with people who work on rigs.

It is risky moving over now i think but some people are lucky to gain work, all depends on if you are prepared to risk it, or as others have said 'have pots of money' to support yourself whilst you find work.

As for Aussies looking after their own so that we all go back, think thats a bit mean, if it wasnt for the immigration programme Aus would suffer financially in a massive way BUT you can see their point, guess we are to them as all the immigrants in the UK are to us.

Guest lowlinda

I think everyone know is tough now but never expect it to be so so bad. My family and I moved to Melbourne in March and my Oh is still looking for a job. He was a Regional Marketing Mgr in a MNC pharmaceutical company covering Asia Pacific and he can't even get a sales rep job in the same industry. That is frustrating!! Like Byrned, he too applied 100+ jobs and only 4 replies and 2 interview. This is really shocking. Quite a number of people we met said it took them 8-10 mths to secure a job and that was b4 the economy downturn. Looks like we will need twice the time duration to get a job.

Also the older you are the harder it gets to pick up a job. You would think that years of experience in a job would get you the gig but that doesnt necessarily apply here. I reckon once you are over 45 the going gets really tough so if you are in that age bracket then dont come here unless you have a cast iron job offer.

Good luck to you all, I dont envy you one iota. When you have 25 applicants for a really run of the mill low paid job which attracted all of 2 applicants just 18 months before as we did recently, you do have to wonder what is happening out there.

Guest guest30038

Aussies will always stick with their own

That may be the experience of some, but I can assure you, that there are companies in briz who have workforces (tradies) employing as much as 80% poms.

Employers anywhere can be parochial but a recent arrival here has found work within 2 weeks, employed by a company that has an 80% pom workforce. This type of employer is of the more "progressive" kind who have come to realise that the Australian charm of being laid back, is not an asset to a business in a competetive market.

I have heard many employers comment that poms are "less ball-ache" than their Aussie counterparts.............they are more prepared to work overtime due to 'chasing the money', generally more reliable as regards to sickies and pride in workmanship, and, despite the common perception, are less likely to whinge about working conditions.

The more I read at this website, the more I appreciate where I chose to settle, as the experiences of some in other major cities bares no similarity whatsoever to what I experience, and have experienced, here in brizzy.

kev

Guest Vim Fuego

Applied for job Wednesday, had an interview Thursday, offered a job on Friday, will jack in my current post on Tuesday (Software development).

I guess it just depends on your perspective.

<This post rated 9.7 on the smugometer>

Guest Aldo
Applied for job Wednesday, had an interview Thursday, offered a job on Friday, will jack in my current post on Tuesday (Software development).

Definitely a 9.8 :wubclub:

I think you need to be wary of taking notice of 100 applicants applying for one position. I don't know what the Australian unemployment procedures are but in the UK those on Jobseekers allowance are expected to apply for a certain amount of jobs to get their benefits.

Now when we did a recent recruitment here in the UK for one basic admin role there were 77 applicants. 57 of which asked for the application and didnt bother sending it back and about another 12 sent back completely ineligable forms, either bad writing or didnt bother to fill all in. So we were left with 8 possible candidates and out of those only three were deemed good enough to interview, one of which didnt even bother to turn up!

So if the system is the same in Australia this could explain the huge numbers.:eek:

I would suspect that anyone working that fast is NOT in Software Development.:confused:

Guest Vim Fuego
I would suspect that anyone working that fast is NOT in Software Development.:confused:

Well somehow I got through the interview OK so maybe I'm living in an alternate reality and all this time I've actually been a llama farmer.

Have you never heard of Agile Development? :biglaugh:

I would argue that employment is an individual thing, and demand varies regionally in Australia. Had experience of delivering training at RMIT University, i.e. job seeking and work skills of for IT candidates, and amongst other things, stressed the importance of networking. In Australia, whether you like it or not, much hinges upon contacts, word of mouth etc. revolving round sports clubs etc.

Over time trying to find more up to date data on employment outlook and opportunities in Australia and regions....

Why do I have the feeling a panicked 'Emergency' email did the rounds of those who for some reason (although claiming to be Poms in Oz) consistently make claims that fly in the face of the majority ? It sometimes sounds as if they work for the Oz government

Guest 0405delboy
Why do I have the feeling a panicked 'Emergency' email did the rounds of those who for some reason (although claiming to be Poms in Oz) consistently make claims that fly in the face of the majority ? It sometimes sounds as if they work for the Oz government

Do elaborate! :eek:

That may be the experience of some, but I can assure you, that there are companies in briz who have workforces (tradies) employing as much as 80% poms.

Employers anywhere can be parochial but a recent arrival here has found work within 2 weeks, employed by a company that has an 80% pom workforce. This type of employer is of the more "progressive" kind who have come to realise that the Australian charm of being laid back, is not an asset to a business in a competetive market.

I have heard many employers comment that poms are "less ball-ache" than their Aussie counterparts.............they are more prepared to work overtime due to 'chasing the money', generally more reliable as regards to sickies and pride in workmanship, and, despite the common perception, are less likely to whinge about working conditions.

The more I read at this website, the more I appreciate where I chose to settle, as the experiences of some in other major cities bares no similarity whatsoever to what I experience, and have experienced, here in brizzy.

kev

Wonder if you'd mind identifying the company and disclosing how many it employs in total please ?

Havent read all of the thread but just answering in regards to the title of this thread.

OH Is a refrigeration/air-con engineer we arrived here in December he had a job offer and took the job in the January, company paid him less than they said they would pay him then just over 3 months into the job have cut his days from 5 to 4 days per week.

Me Administration, have applied for over 100 jobs and had 2 interviews and no job offer.

It's very hard here on the Sunshine Coast for us at present

Good Luck though

Guest guest30038
Wonder if you'd mind identifying the company and disclosing how many it employs in total please ?

Not subject to that information, only to what the interviewer (a Pom) told the employee at interview.............subsequently seeming to be borne out by that employees experience since starting work there. He is a member of this site so he may just step in to this thread..........if he isn't too busy working.................he's probably in bed now, knackered :biglaugh:

kev

Not subject to that information, only to what the interviewer (a Pom) told the employee at interview.............subsequently seeming to be borne out by that employees experience since starting work there. He is a member of this site so he may just step in to this thread..........if he isn't too busy working.................he's probably in bed now, knackered :biglaugh:

kev

Oh come on mate. Surely you can identify the company .. one to back your claim and two so that Poms in Oz will gain a friendly contact and maybe even a job.

Archived